• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

The SLB (Smooth Like Butter) Active Rect/CRC/Cap Mx Class A Power Supply GB

I typically use an NTC like 8D-20 between IEC line and trafo primary. That works pretty well as it has about 10ohms resistance cold. Takes about a minute to warm up to 0.5ohms nominal value once hot. Simple and passive.

From Post #1, Advantages:
7. As icing on the cake, the SLB provides a smooth slow ramp up to prevent mains current overload and tripping fuses, plus, it eliminates turn on speaker pop

xrk971, so you're recommending an NTC as well? Contradiction? What's the nuance?

Perhaps I can help. Without some sort of soft start there will be significant currents required to charge the main caps in the SLB. The output of the SLB, on the other hand, does have a ramp up due to the relatively long risetime of the control voltages that are part of the of the so called capacitor multiplying circuits.

The components of an electronic inrush current limiter and cap Mx are very similar, however the 60,000uF of CRC filtering is before the cap Mx. If you’re using a small (<300) VA transformer you can probably get away without using a soft start method, but the current surge is still stressful to your fuses and transformer.

Perhaps I can help. Without some sort of soft start there will be significant currents required to charge the main caps in the SLB. The output of the SLB, on the other hand, does have a ramp up due to the relatively long risetime of the control voltages that are part of the of the so called capacitor multiplying circuits.

The components of an electronic inrush current limiter and cap Mx are very similar, however the 60,000uF of CRC filtering is before the cap Mx. If you’re using a small (<300) VA transformer you can probably get away without using a soft start method, but the current surge is still stressful to your fuses and transformer.

Got it. Thanks.

Item 7 that I quoted could go with a reword to avoid misunderstanding. Ideally a wiring overview, typical schematic for those coming in cold.. ;)

You can go as high as 32v, but don’t exceed it. (Maybe 2v or so above might still work, but 32v or less is guaranteed safe).

this is the excellent instructions that came with the gainclone LM3886 that I am building and it clearly says that the power supply vontage can be as high is +-42v just like I originally said, is it possible that the 32v was for the LM3875? the instructions are so detailed that it is hard to think there is a mistake there. instruction pdf file is attached.

Attachments

• doc.pdf
    262.2 KB · Views: 70
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Dadbeh,

If you reference the Texas Instruments data sheets for the Overture amplifier series LM3875, LM3886, etc...
The absolute max voltage with input signal is +/-42v. You would never want to run these chips that high. No “extra” power, but a lot of extra heat :)

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Was able to set the voltage at +/-23.0 Vdc at SLB output, against CRCRC's +/- 23.1Vdc now.
Its powering M2X now. I will do listening test in this config for the moment.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

That’s very interesting that the CRCRC has similar voltage drop relative to a SLB! Same trafo?

You should hear some marked improvement in the level of background noise and hum with no signal. Should be super for USSA5 as well.