• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

The SLB (Smooth Like Butter) Active Rect/CRC/Cap Mx Class A Power Supply GB

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The SLB is designed for Class A where the max current needed is always flowing. I don’t think impedance matters as much here like regulated PSU’s for Class AB Amos that may be called upon to open a pass transistor from near zero max. However, it does have a Toshiba audio grade power BJT for the Pass element set up in a CFP topology. So basically like a high speed power amp stage. I would expect impedance to be quite low.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
All SLB GB orders packed and labeled today. Will go out tomorrow. Also includes Yarra orders, WBA18’s, PCA’s, and Aksa Lender PCA’s.

attachment.php

Attachments

• C8032949-44C2-49E6-9F52-51E6CD1DAE07.jpeg
    C8032949-44C2-49E6-9F52-51E6CD1DAE07.jpeg
    114 KB · Views: 1,612
Good morning from the hotter than hades east cost of USA.
I have my SLB boards mostly populated and have a question concerning the bulk CRC caps. Would 22,000 uF be ok to use? I have a stock of them that I would like to press into service. If these are ok I may just have a pair of aleph j amps running this weekend.
Thanks,
Evan

Attachments

• 379576B8-CD5E-4BB3-BDD7-F31B7A728946.jpg
    379576B8-CD5E-4BB3-BDD7-F31B7A728946.jpg
    599.3 KB · Views: 446
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Since the Aleph J only runs at 1.25A and even if you used one for stereo at 2.5A, that’s half the design current of 5A so the max ripple current should still be ok. Keep an eye on the temperature of the first cap. Make sure it’s not too hot. Even though they are rated 85C, for long life they should run no more than half that so keep below about 45C. Bit even if they ran hotter it just means replacing sooner than later.

Thanks for the answers. I’ll be building two mono amps so it seems like I’ll by ok. I’ll pay attention to the temp when the amps get up and running.

These boards are beautiful. Well laid out and thoughtful on the inclusion of lots of ground returns, the loop breasted for the chassis return and transformer snubber.

A side note is that a large chisel tip was definitely needed to get a good solder flow to the ground plane.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
It might be useful to have your circuits guru read through the ripple current rating section of Nichicon's Applications guidelines for aluminum electrolytics (3 pages attached below -- the full doc is too big to attach).

Remember that in a mainstrafo-->rectifier-->caps circuit, the ripple frequency is 120 Hz so your calculations use tan_delta (dissipation factor), NOT the high frequency "ESR" spec that's provided for high frequency SMPS applications. Most electrolytic capacitor datasheets tell you the tan_delta AND the derating vs capacitance: see blue arrowhead.

_

Attachments

• ripple_nichicon.pdf
    73.5 KB · Views: 93
  • datasheet_tan_delta.png
    datasheet_tan_delta.png
    58 KB · Views: 462
Joined 2011
Paid Member
More as a caution to member evanc who proposes to use his existing stock of SLPX223M050H9P3 capacitors as substitutes.. Run the numbers and decide: comfortable? / nervous? / certainfailure? (That part number is just a guess based on the markings visible in the photo. Check against the invoice or shipping bag that evanc received, for the definitive not-a-guess part number)

_