Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Group Buys Members group buys

The SLB (Smooth Like Butter) Active Rect/CRC/Cap Mx Class A Power Supply GB
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th December 2019, 06:25 PM   #641
Vunce is offline Vunce  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhofland View Post
Vunce,
How could a person of Italian descent call spaghetti a mess (smiley)?

If we went out to dinner and you saw my shirt after a nice pasta meal, you know why I call it a “spaghetti mess”

Old 8th January 2020, 01:30 PM   #642
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Just wanted to remind folks that if they are interested in a state of the art implementation of the ACA, JPS64 has a very nice board already made and ready to go. Of course, with the signature JPS64 via stitching and impeccable star ground strategy. One can pair this with the already available and proven SLB Single Rail PSU, and you have a superb SE Class A solution. The SLB uses an Aksa developed CFP topology cap Mx, which has been shown to achieve 1mV rms ripple at a load of 3A and 37v.

Click the image to open in full size.

Plus the SLB SR PSU:
Click the image to open in full size.

The SLB SR is convenient in that it has flying leads with quick connect to allow easy mounting of the power transistor. Also, two boards makes for more flexible mounting options.

Last edited by xrk971; 8th January 2020 at 01:51 PM.
Old 10th January 2020, 03:16 AM   #643
andyr is offline andyr  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post

Recent test of SLB SR with an 8ohm 100w dummy load, powered with one secondary from an Antek AS-3222. Produces 25.5v at 3.2A with under 1mV rms ripple. Setup shown has 2SA1943 on an external heatsink and flying lead via Molex and silicone RC car wire. Noise on red scale is RF noise pickup as can be seen in second scope shop with everything powered off. I am using a small ferrite core inductor to remove some of the RF noise pickup at the probe-tip.
Hi X, just looking back through this thread (which I've only just picked up on).

Is this very low level of ripple achieved with R17/18 being 10R (as originally specified) ... or the 1R5 subsequently recommended?

Thanks,
Andy

Last edited by andyr; 10th January 2020 at 03:18 AM.
Old 10th January 2020, 04:25 AM   #644
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Sometimes an amp designed for +/-24v when operated at higher voltages will exhibit a change in the harmonic distortion profile. It may have lower overall distortion but higher relative H3/H2. Lower voltage may have higher H2/H3, hence sweeter sound.
Hi X,

After reading your above comment, I thought I would see if I could get the comparison H2 & H3 figures from Hugh's LTspice schematics for the 4R (+/-20v) and 8R (+/-27v) versions of the Alpha Nirvana.

What I found was this (at just below clipping):

* 4R: H1 = 1.0 | H2 = 0.000172 | H3 = 0.0000772

* 8R: H1 = 1.0 | H2 = 0.000536 | H3 = 0.000567.

So the lower-voltage version has lower H2 & H3???

Andy
Old 10th January 2020, 11:18 AM   #645
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

I don’t think those are clipping values. Maybe 2.83v?
Old 11th January 2020, 02:27 AM   #646
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Alpha BB is the 52w version of the Alpha. It uses CPU coolers.
Hi X,

I've been trawling through all the AN & SLB threads I know about and somewhere??? was a link to an 'ABBB' thread.

Can you direct me to it, please.

(I want to use CPU coolers in my AN 4R build, so I can use a 400mm deep 3RU case.)

Thanks,
Andy
Old 11th January 2020, 02:47 AM   #647
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

The Alpha Big Boy with Buttah (ABBB) 52w Class A Amp GB
Old 11th January 2020, 02:48 AM   #648
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Great - thanks, X.

Andy
Old 12th January 2020, 05:14 AM   #649
diyAudio Member

Quote:
md_Stryker,

Thanks for making the BOM/shopping cart for us. To folks wishing to use this BOM/shopping cart - please save as your own project before modifying it, else stuff gets deleted/changed for everyone clicking on this link.

X
I can't see how to save it as my own project, X (which I need to do as I want the parts for 4x SLBs - not just 1).

Can you advise?

Andy
Old 12th January 2020, 05:50 AM   #650
gary s is offline gary s  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi Andy.

Click on the link X has shown to open the Mouser project, then you need to Login to your Mouser account (if you don't have an account, then you need to register which is easy). Once you are logged in, you then simply select the "Save as my own Project" tab up near the top right hand side of the screen. Once saved you then can look at your saved projects under your account heading and then modify / add to the project as you see fit.

When you are finished then select the Order Project tab to finish the checkout with your new project. All projects created will appear under your account unless you delete any you don't need in the future - so when adding any new items, make sure you select your current project to add new items to.

For the project X has linked once saved, you just need to change quantity's where required and update the project as you go. Also up at the top of the screen you can change the currency from USD to AUD if you wish and the project will automatically update. I always pick free FedEx shipping with orders over $60.00 AUD, and they just about always deliver here in 5 to 6 days from order.

Hope that helps, Mouser's web site is easy to use.

Cheers,

Gary..

The SLB (Smooth Like Butter) Active Rect/CRC/Cap Mx Class A Power Supply GBHide this!Advertise here!