• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

The SLB (Smooth Like Butter) Active Rect/CRC/Cap Mx Class A Power Supply GB

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi X. I'm busy collecting parts for various builds again now that my basement is finished and my workshop is up and running. Thinking about using SLB single rail boards to do a Zen Mod Singing Bush build vs. a CLC for each mono block. Considering I have most of the parts for the SLB's already it would be way more economical. Each Singing Bush channel needs +60v on the THF-51 SIT. The bias current is around 2.3A. Here is ZM's PSU advice:

"For all iterations , target positive rail is 60Vdc , plain logic and experience sez that's 48Vac secondary Donut

Schade (Full Mos) is having Iq in range of 3A/ch. ......... say 300VA Donut as minimum per channel

THF51/2SK180/2SK182 - having Iq in range of 2A2 , say 250VA Donut as minimum per channel

caps - 75Vdc rated, as minimum

cap bank for one channel - CRC fashion , 20mF-0R1/3W-20mF , as absolute minimum ; 30mF-0R1/3W-30mF is better ; more , the merrier"

So with these variables is a +60v supply possible with the SLB? I would plan on using 80v caps. What voltage are the BD139/140 seeing in the circuit? Any other components that wouldn't necessarily play nice with the +60v?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Jwjarch,
If we assume that a linear trafo will sag about 4v from a no-load condition and that the SLB drops 3v, we add 7v to the nominal 60v required. That is 67v and divide by 1.41 to get 47.5v ac. So ZM's advice of 48v, even though it was not for the SLB, seems spot on. All the actives can handle the 60v - just make sure you upgrade the caps. 10,000uF 80v caps might be sufficient. Look for ones with a high ripple current rating of circa 2x your current. So for 2.2A, look for 4.5 to 5A ripple current rating at 120Hz. I hope that helps. 250VA to 300VA rating seems about right.

So I finally soldered up a dual rail SLB and powered it up tonight. I’m using an Antek 4222 transformer along with a Babelfish J2 board. Only one channel for testing right now. I’m getting 28.5V + and - with the single channel powered up. I believe I’m at about 1.5a bias at the moment. Everything seems fine, however, I’m not able to dial in any change in voltage with the pots on the SLB. I’ll have to go back and check my resistor values. I also have the LED on the negative rail in backwards but that shouldn’t affect anything, correct? Anything else I should be looking out for?

Thanks Vunce! Can’t believe how long I’ve had these sitting in my parts stash and haven’t built them up.

It seems to be filtering the ripple X. I’m not getting a single mv AC on my Fluke meter, unless there’s a better way to test. I have a cheap eBay scope I could put on there but I haven’t tried it yet. Not sure if it’s good enough to measure what I want to measure and not blow it up in the process. I’m no EE.

SLB is doing its thing with Babelfish J2 boards. I originally planned for dual mono but the single board seems to be working well so I’ll probably hold off on the second board for now. Best part? Both LEDs are working now. :rofl:

Thanks for the great power supply design everyone!

Attachments

• 2E7AABA2-BB56-481F-B3DD-5D0AB3E8A203.jpeg
    2E7AABA2-BB56-481F-B3DD-5D0AB3E8A203.jpeg
    385.1 KB · Views: 304
  • 4984EFF4-9EBE-40BA-B726-BDC24ABA1607.jpeg
    4984EFF4-9EBE-40BA-B726-BDC24ABA1607.jpeg
    309.2 KB · Views: 302
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Nice work Jwjarch! Glad it’s working out with just one. Dual mono will reduce ground loop noise, if it was a problem. If not then that’s cool. You will also get better stereo imaging with two.

@RobinDW, those are actually BJT pass transistors. You can calculate the dissipation if you know the current. For a stereo 25w Pass amp the bias is typically 1.25A per channel. So 2.5A x 3v drop. Or 7.5W or 15W for both. Not insignificant but I don’t think it’s too hot.

Thanks X! Pretty easy build when all is said and done. A bit of info, I used TTA1943 and TTC5200 Toshiba fets. Got a great deal on a quantity order from LCSC. I also used sockets on the LT4320’s just in case. ;)

The jury is still out on the ground loop noise since I haven’t hooked these up to high efficiency speakers yet. Will try that soon. On my workshop speakers I can’t hear any hum or noise. In my listening room I have an open baffle setup with Lii-Audio Crystal 10’s on top and GRS-15’s on the bottom. With the crossover I think they’re in the 95-96db range for sensitivity. I would think you would need to go dual mono no matter what on super sensitive horn compression drivers.

Regarding imaging I still need to do an A/B with the F7 clone but what I’m hearing so far is nothing less than amazing. I looked up a recommended album for stereo imaging, Roger Water’s, Amused to Death. The first track has a soundstage I have never heard on stereo speakers before. And all this from my little PS95-8 mini-k’s fed by a cheap Bluetooth receiver streaming Amazon Music. Even without dual mono I think this amp will outperform the F7 clone in that regard, which is dual mono with CapMx PSU’s. It will be interesting to see what the BabelJ2 with SLB can do with a preamp, CD/vinyl source, and really good speakers.

And at the end of the day I can always build up the second SLB when I have time. :D

Last edited:
Update: I was listening to the BabelJ2 with single SLB PSU tonight. First, there is virtually no noise or ground loop hum on my setup. I have to press my ear to the speaker cone to hear any noise. So not completely silent but pretty darn close with 96db speakers.

Using the Chesky Vol 2 Jazz test track CD, I ran through the usual test tracks I like to use. Everything sounds phenomenal in terms of definition, detail, impact, etc., except the image. Compared to the F7 I am not getting the clearly defined right to left panning of the image on tracks 60-70. So tonight I immediately started to solder up my second SLB board. ;)

So much for me getting away with the single SLB. Hoping to report back that the imaging I am used to with the F7 will return by going dual mono.