Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Group Buys Members group buys

How to deal with import/export duties?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th April 2019, 07:02 AM   #1
mbrennwa is offline mbrennwa  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Default How to deal with import/export duties?

If I order a bunch of parts for a group buy, I will be charged duties related to import (VAT and stuff). Once I send the parts out, my buyers will be charged again. Paying VAT duties twice for the same thing seems wrong to me. How is this dealt with easily?
Old 8th April 2019, 09:31 AM   #2
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

It depends on what Customs area the original supplier, you and your "partners" (wouldnīt call them "customers") live.

I guess once inside the EU, "duties have already been paid".

If the product goes somewhere else, last Country Customs will want to charge their own.

If this proves too expensive maybe "outside" partners wonīt benefit as much from group buy discounts.

Now if the object is getting a product otherwise unavailable, as in, say, a custom manufactured product, meeting an 100 unit minimum order, etc., well, each one is responsible of his own.

In theory if you reexport something you might ask a total or partial refund of what you paid, but I guess paperwork and complications will make that impractical unless we are talking a massive purchase.

Just curious, what kind of product are we talking about?
Old 8th April 2019, 09:39 AM   #3
mbrennwa is offline mbrennwa  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMFahey View Post
Just curious, what kind of product are we talking about?
I am thinking about organising a group buy for a waveguide that fits the larger Scan Speak tweeters.

I'd order a bunch of those waveguides from a CNC service (outside of Switzerland), get them delivered to Switzerland, pay duties, send the waveguides to my partners (outside of Switzerland), and they get charged duties again. Paying VAT/duties twice is just wrong! There must be a way to avoid this!
Old 8th April 2019, 11:19 AM   #4
dewdrop is offline dewdrop  Singapore
diyAudio Member

One way is to get your supplier or a middle man to help you send the goods out without sending to Switzerland. Of course, you expose your source and your customers list. So it depends how important it is to you.
Old 8th April 2019, 12:03 PM   #5
gadut is offline gadut  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

duties is applied on buyers, 1st transaction you are as a buyer, when you distribute it to your GB member then you are the seller and duties are charged on your customer side.

those are 2 different type of transactions, different object/user to pay and different collector/country
Old 8th April 2019, 12:13 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Just checked, Switzerland has meager 7.7% VAT

We Argentines pay TWENTY ONE PER CENT VAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So Iīd say, "count your blessings"
Old 8th April 2019, 01:52 PM   #7
Guerilla is offline Guerilla  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Easy for them, as they get a cent for every dollar of the dirty money hidden in their banks.
Old 8th April 2019, 02:34 PM   #8
wealas is offline wealas
diyAudio Member

I believe you can avoid the VAT double charge if you order as a company (with a VAT ID) to sell products to customers. You will either skip paying the VAT, then charge it to your customers and refund it to the Swiss tax authorities, or you will pay the VAT, then claim it back when you show the invoices with VAT charged.
It might be simple to setup the VAT ID but you'll probably have to file tax returns at some point and will have to generate invoices to prove the VAT was collected.
Duties usually do not kick in under a certain value so your customers might not have to pay any, just their local VAT.
I don't believe there is such thing as "easy" when dealing with taxes of any kind
Old 8th April 2019, 03:48 PM   #9
Guerilla is offline Guerilla  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Maybe easier to get a conclusive answer on a swizz forum, since its different from country to country. Im almost sure its not so difficult when you are told the right procedure. Try e-mailing your local tax-office
Old 8th April 2019, 04:45 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Just occured to me: IF your partners in this collective purchase are all (or 90% of them) in the EU, then have a friend outside Switerland receive delivery, and pay EU VAT *once* , then evenly split that cost (price + VAT) among buyers who would plain pay him as friends or whatever, no invoices involved because itīs not an actual "sale" but a shared purchase.

Then only *one* partner (you) pays Swiss VAT for the couple units you get, only you pay doubled VAT.

Which looks unfair being the organizer so out of courtesy other members could agree to spread your extra VAT expense among them ... a couple Euro each .

I wouldnīt mind, quite the contrary.

How to deal with import/export duties?Hide this!Advertise here!