• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

GB: Round #4; Fo-Felix & GB #1 AC Receptacle Enclosure

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
**We're on round #4!!!**

So over the years people have asked about the old version, made by someone else.

It's probably time for an updated one. This one is a bit different. You may notice it does not have following capacitors after the choke. I have tried both ways, and my preference is strongly without the following X2 capacitors. Also the capacitors prior to the choke are not varied in size because overall capacitance is more important - and they won't randomly resonate with each other.

The other major change is the addition of bypass resistors for the chokes. These don't ruin the filtration, but they do a good job of quieting the chokes that can get excited by different combinations of things on the mains.

***** This board will have two holes for options on switching the bypass resistors between Bourn/Comoco.

Fo_Felix_R2_Public_preview2.png

Gen1 w/comoco's
IMG_1974_1_22.jpg

Here's how it is different in settling time from the original.
Fo_felix_vs_felix.png

Here's a comparison between resonances.
Fo_felix_vs_felix_resonance.png

*2oz copper PCB (1oz is standard)
*Weco 983ZD terminals, copper alloy and can accept 2 wires for daisy chain. These are also safer, particularly if you use solid core wire that otherwise likes to make cold solder joints you can't see.
*X2 rated capacitors for safety, 4x 0.47uf. They are alternated for CFC (capacitor field cancellation).
*Discharge resistor for X2 capacitors
*Coilcraft Comoco choke w/fuse or Bourns 8120/8121-RC choke w/o fuse & 15/16A/20A(*) max sockets
*Fuse clips are beryllium copper (good for 30A)
*120/230v operation (parts & pcb)
*Mounting holes are sized to work nicely with M3 screws and standoff kits
*Size: 2.25x4.25in

The Weco 983ZD are preferred terminals, but not always available as individual sale. For this reason I'm going to include them in the price of PCB, so that I can meet min order requirements for them and save everyone the shipping.

Price: $13ea ($9 per filter board same as original, $2 per Weco, 2 needed per board)

Shipping: $8 US, priority USPS box
$15 CAD
$16 General international padded envelope
If ordering over 4x boards there may be an additional $10, depending on destination.

Need 32 filter board commitments to order.

Blackmani 4
mzbrahce 6
MASantos 4
Myint67 6
leejh 8
drpro 4
MtBiker 6
s610adam 6 (6x LOFI and 6 DSC-1)
Roundtoit 6 (2-LOFI, 1-DCS1 & 1-DCS2)

Pictures of Enclosure:

If people want I need 10 commitments. We have one to start with. They are $200. They’re really nice, and won’t come with those markings since everyone will do their own combo of filters. They are aluminum, and powder coated.

Enclosure
drkingweeb
undertowogt1

Last edited:
Help Needed

I have bought the boards from GB #3 and finally assembled the boards into a metal casing.

I used the light bulb mains test to power up the unit and the bulb never dim. I assume that there should be a minimal current draw if its working correct but the bulb was as bright as it can be. So it seems that there is something wrong with my setup. Can someone with a working unit confirm that?

Are the Comocos directional? I assume that they are not.

I did solder the bypass resistor on the back of the PCB as shown in #117.

So I have 2: one for the other non-fused side and the one on the back is on the back of the PCB.

Last edited:
Ok, we have a 110K resistor across the L and N and if I have 2 boards in parallel, it will be a combined of ~55 Kohms. Assuming if it draws 90mA, wouldn't the power dissipation be huge on these 2 resistors?

As long as your resistors are in the K range, everything seems fine.

The thing about capacitors is they release the energy they store. So the loss is very small, even if there is some current use.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.