• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

The YARRA Preamplifier/HPA for Melbourne DB Group Buy

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I still have to get the Yarra verification PCB from the factory (probably another 5 days), then build it (another week). If no errors, order final set of production boards. Another week maybe 10 days, then send out. Looks like 3 more weeks until I ship final board.

The case, I have no idea - we are lucky that JPS64 and his wife are doing the professional mechanical design for us for free, so we can't rush that. Once the design is done, then we need to get quotes from vendor. Probably 3-6 weeks more?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
GB status update

Vunce - 1 Yarra - USA = PAID
zman01- 1 Yarra - USA = PAID
twitchie- 1 Yarra - Canada = PAID
BRN - 1 Yarra - USA = PAID
Roundtoit - 1 Yarra - USA
Russellc- 1 Yarra - USA = PAID
mordikai- 1 Yarra - USA = PAID
bologna1 - 1 Yarra - 2 Melbourne - USA = PAID
TunstenAudio - 1 Yarra - USA = PAID
Kokanee - 1 - CAN = PAID
Meanie - 1 Yarra - Singapore = PAID
gary s - 1 Yarra - 2 Melbourne - Australia = PAID
jwjarch - 1 Yarra- USA = PAID
TboneAK - 1 Yarra - USA = PAID
Afoor - 1 Yarra - 2 Melbourne - USA = PAID
bk856er - 1 Yarra - 2 Melbourne - USA = PAID
BEYoung - 2 Yarra, 4 Melbourne - USA = PAID
windwardmt - 1 Yarra - 2 Melbourne - USA = PAID
urien - 1 Yarra, 2 Melbourne - USA = PAID
Big E - 1 Yarra - Canada = PAID
Sampsonite - 1 Yarra - 2 Melbourne - USA = Need PayPal Address

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Interest List for Custom Machined Preamp Enclosure:

xrk971 - 1 case - USA
JPS64 - 1 case - USA
gary s - 1 case - Australia
Vunce - 1 case - USA
windwardmt - 1 case - USA
TungstenAudio - 1 case - USA
Meanie - 1 case - Singapore
Roundtoit - 1 case - USA
mordikai - 1 case - USA
afoor - 1 case - USA
Big E - 1 case - Canada
TboneAK - 1 case - USA
Sampsonite - 1 case - USA

We have over a dozen interested parties now and this is a good showing. Thanks for supporting this project!

YARRA enclosure - weekend progress

Hello,

IO and PSU PCB placed and rear plate drilled (silkscreen or digital printing later).

We´ll place tomorrow the preamplifier with Melbournes and check the different spacer for the different potentiometer variants.

Finishing with engraving.

Hoping finishing middle of next week so we would inquire and get an offer till end of coming week.

P.S.: someone who can/will share (Google Drive) 3D PDF (1.39MB) so I´ll send him file with email.

JP

Attachments

• Yarra_PSU_IO.png
    Yarra_PSU_IO.png
    298.9 KB · Views: 530
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The version 1 verification build boards are here. They are 1.6mm but with 2oz copper and ENIG. These are perhaps the largest amplifier boards I have ever seen - about the size of a PC motherboard before you break apart the small sub panels. Here are some photos plus detailed closeups to show the master strokes of JPS64 at work. This is true art. Thank you JP for an superb layout and design!

Top:
attachment.php

Bottom:
attachment.php

Detail of Cap Mx PSU (thanks to design inspired by Prasi):
attachment.php

Left and Right ground planes split down the middle of a 4-pin JST jack:
attachment.php

Detail of the 3 different volume pot boards for connecting the wires with less strain:
attachment.php

Detail of the nice curved AC primary traces from the IEC to the transformers:
attachment.php

Attachments

• Yarra-PCB-06.jpg
    Yarra-PCB-06.jpg
    298.3 KB · Views: 609
  • Yarra-PCB-05.jpg
    Yarra-PCB-05.jpg
    693.5 KB · Views: 621
  • Yarra-PCB-04.jpg
    Yarra-PCB-04.jpg
    873.1 KB · Views: 1,043
  • Yarra-PCB-03.jpg
    Yarra-PCB-03.jpg
    740.5 KB · Views: 611
  • Yarra-PCB-02.jpg
    Yarra-PCB-02.jpg
    712 KB · Views: 1,032
  • Yarra-PCB-01.jpg
    Yarra-PCB-01.jpg
    743 KB · Views: 612
Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Since we are going with a 2U case, I will be going with the 25VA Talema’s with 22v output.

https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=Talema 70065k

With a circa 3v drop across the cap Mx we should easily get 27v rails out of this preamp. Enough to drive 50w 6.8ohm load with an amp stage that has 0dB gain. Also works to drive 40Vpp 8ohm loads with amps like F4. The gain resistor will have to be adjusted to hit these higher output voltages though from a normal RCA level line input.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi X,
Those PCB's are a work of art and look very impressive. One question to you for mailing out and OS air mail, will you leave them in 1 piece or break apart for a smaller package?

Unfortunately will have to break the PSU board off and fold it over. Or else it is measures 12in x 9in, larger than a regular large envelope. It pains me to break the panel. If you really want it whole - it will cost more to ship but can be done.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi JP,
Can we also get a partially drilled through rebate and pilot hole from the back for anyone wishing to add a headphone connector? Not sure where it would go but perhaps on right side? Maybe for Neutrik black plastic locking jack with red push button and two screws?
Thanks!
X

For example:
Neutrik NJ3FP6C-BAG Locking 1/4" TRS Stereo Jack (Black)

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Progress on verification build: PSU is populated mostly. That’s a lot of caps! Quite heavy now with all those Panasonic FCs and Nichicon KWs. Will use a temporary external trafo to apply power while waiting for Talema to arrive.

Attachments

• 805A9F34-AF93-4184-8645-56AA3EFA8327.jpeg
    805A9F34-AF93-4184-8645-56AA3EFA8327.jpeg
    741.9 KB · Views: 347
  • 8441AB06-C1B8-4B43-90CD-82C18165F928.jpeg
    8441AB06-C1B8-4B43-90CD-82C18165F928.jpeg
    708.6 KB · Views: 342
Neat work X on the power supply, looks impressive.

Another question for you X, I assume you will be posting a BOM in association with JPS as to what parts the enclosure has been designed around. I am talking about things like the mains IEC entry socket, RCA female connectors, input select switch and extension shafts, volume and input knobs etc.... Taking that to another level, have you thought about offering these parts together with the enclosure to offer a complete enclosure kit?

Also an up to date BOM on all parts used (where there might have been a change or 2) for the items on all PCB's to do with the Yarra preamp board set, will be available once the boards are ready to go?