• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

The YARRA Preamplifier/HPA for Melbourne DB Group Buy

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I am trying to gauge interest in a GB for a fully machined case for the Yarra with all holes and cutouts factory made by Hifi2000. The more people participate, the lower the cost to spread a custom machining run for these cases. The Yarra is a special preamp/HPA. Possibly one of the best ones you will ever hear or need and that is why I want to put it in a nice professionally made case.

attachment.php

Can we start a signup sheet of potential interest? I don't want to start a whole new thread, but we can make a separate list. I have no idea on what it will cost - but a price under $250 is one guess. I am hoping with enough people we can get this at the $150 level - we will see once JPS64 gets a quote.

Potential Interest in GB for Finished Yarra 1U Hifi2000 Case:

xrk971 - 1 case - USA
JPS64 - 1 case - USA

Attachments

• Yarra-Case-example.png
    Yarra-Case-example.png
    737.1 KB · Views: 965
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Hifi2000 GX343 - Galaxy specs

Dimensions Internal:
  • Width: 310mm
  • Depth: 230mm
  • Height: 40mm
External Dimensions:
  • Width: 330mm
  • Depth: 236mm
  • Height: 42mm
Characteristics :
  • Front panel Silver 10mm
  • Aluminum rear panel 3mm
  • Extruded aluminum sides 10mm thick
  • 2mm aluminum hoods

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
How many people are interested in having an integral 1/4in TRS headphone jack on front panel? We also need power switch push button and LED. The preamp boards may need to slide back a little to make room for panel jacks etc. JP will do the 3D CAD drawings on SolidWorks and then generate production drawings for submitting to vendor for price quotation. I am just taking a WAG at the price btw. But I bet the more people we have the more we can share the one time setup fee.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Last edited:
How many people are interested in having an integral 1/4in TRS headphone jack on front panel? We also need power switch push button and LED. The preamp boards may need to slide back a little to make room for panel jacks etc. JP will do the 3D CAD drawings on SolidWorks and then generate production drawings for submitting to vendor for price quotation. I am just taking a WAG at the price btw. But I bet the more people we have the more we can share the one time setup fee.

I am interested in the custom case, butwould prefer not to have a headphone jack on the front. I rarely use headphones, and already have a dedicated HPA just in case.

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
2U is big enough to accommodate a thermally controlled fan. You can implement "N" different temperature sensors, sprinkled throughout the chassis, and draw up whatever temperature-versus-fanspeed% curve your heart desires. Feed everything into a 14 pin uC (if you've got a large number N of temp sensors), or an 8 pin uC if N is a reasonable integer. Presto, a fan whose speed (and noise!) does exactly what YOU want it to do, versus temperature. I did one of these for a Unix workstation in the late 80s (discrete parts, no uCs!) and end users liked it a whole lot. Modernized and weaponized, it would be damn delightful to many buyers (I predict).

I don't need the case, but wanted to update mine to include the two Melbourne DBs.

Vunce - 1 board set - USA
zman01- 1 board set - USA
twitchie- 1 board set - Canada
BRN - 1 board set - USA
Roundtoit - 1 board set - USA
Russellc- one board set. USA
mordikai- 1 board set - USA
bologna1 - 1 board set - 2 Melbourne - USA
TunstenAudio - 1 board set - USA
Kokanee - 4 (or is it 2?) board sets - CAN
Meanie - 1 board set - Singapore
gary s - 1 Yarra - 2 Melbourne - Australia

Count me in!

BRN - 1 board set - USA
jwjarch - 1 Yarra Board set

I'm in!

BRN - 1 board set - USA
jwjarch - 1 Yarra Board set
TboneAK - 1 Yarra Board set

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
GB status update. I edited the list to standardize the numbering by calling the "1 board set" simply Yarra. This simplifies counting when some folks also want the Melbourne, etc. I will start sending out invoices soon as there looks like ample interest in the Yarra. If I have your Paypal address already from the concurrent Melbourne GB, I can send you the invoice as you are a repeat Aksa addict. If not, please send me your PayPal address via PM.
Thanks,
X

Vunce - 1 Yarra - USA
zman01- 1 Yarra - USA
twitchie- 1 Yarra - Canada
BRN - 1 Yarra - USA
Roundtoit - 1 Yarra - USA
Russellc- 1 Yarra - USA
mordikai- 1 Yarra - USA
bologna1 - 1 Yarra - 2 Melbourne - USA
TunstenAudio - 1 Yarra - USA
Kokanee - Need number of boards? - CAN