Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Group Buys Members group buys

GB for Simple Cap-Mx Regulated Low-Noise PSU
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th April 2019, 11:01 AM   #61
twocents is offline twocents  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Default Playing with regulators

Just an update on my beta boards and regulators used. For my Raspberry Pi HAT DAC I am currently running two of these XLCLN Regulator boards. One with a TPS7A4701 (4uV output noise) regulator for powering the DAC, and the other with a linear LT1085CT-5 regulator for powering the Raspberry Pi. Still absolutely dead quiet and I am very very happy with the setup now. Just be aware that the LT1085CT-5 pinout is different to the board layout.

I was running a MC7805CTG 5V (10uV output noise) regulator previously for the Raspberry Pi, but started picking up problems with the Pi not booting or communicating (WiFi or UTP) properly so this regulator does not seem to give enough current for running a Pi. The LT1085 3A now works very well. Probably not the quietest regulator out there, but I cannot hear a difference in my setup.
Old 19th April 2019, 12:33 PM   #62
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Has anyone manage to build their new simple PSU yet?
Old 4th May 2019, 09:49 PM   #63
Centurion53 is offline Centurion53  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Boards still available?

XRK
Are boards still available?
Bill
Old 5th May 2019, 12:16 AM   #64
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Yes, send me a PM with PayPal address and how many you want and where they are being shipped to.
Thanks,
X
Old 5th May 2019, 08:25 AM   #65
jimk04 is online now jimk04  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Good morning

I have an interest in this GB for my Rpi and DAC Hat .

I dont have many smps but do have plenty toroid and diode bridges. Is it ok to feed this straight into the board offered here.?

And do you have pcbs left?
Is there just the one surface mount R to deal with?!

Regards
James
Old 5th May 2019, 03:13 PM   #66
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Hi JMk,
Yes, a linear supply feeding this is fine. I actually prefer a class 2 wall wart trafo to feed this for lowest noise. I have boards left just send me PM with your PayPal info and number of boards needed.
Old 5th May 2019, 05:05 PM   #67
jimk04 is online now jimk04  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

PM incoming!
Old 5th May 2019, 05:46 PM   #68
Lo_Tse is offline Lo_Tse  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi, X

A quick question on this PSU. If I am going to use a SMPS as the primary voltage supply, feeding through a Buck converter to either step up or down the voltage, then thru a CLR filter, thru the capMx and finally thru another low noise LDO regulator which has very high PSRR, is the capMx really necessary? Don't get me wrong, I am sure the capMx will further improve the "cleanliness" of the power. My thought is that since the SMPS, BC, CLC, and the LTXXXX all have filtering capability, and the regular ripple (120 Hz) is practically absent, do you think one can leave out the capMx? I am trying to make the PSU with a minimum number of components as possible (provided a sufficiently clean power supply is achievable).

Lastly, the SMPS and I am planning to use has multiple outputs, do you think I can hook up two of your capMx PSU to it and then connect the output in series to make a dual rail (+/-) supply. The 0V ground point will be the ground connector at the SMPS. Basically, I am setting it up like using a transformer with dual secondaries that are feeding to two bridge rectifiers with filters.

Thank you very much in advance for answering my questions. Much appreciated1

Regards,
Old 5th May 2019, 06:34 PM   #69
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

The cap Mx, in addition to providing ripple reductions, has a very important function of ramping the voltage and current and voltage up slowly so that the self-protect circuitry in a SMPS doesn’t shut the SMPS off due to in rush current to a large cap or amp input demand. It also prevents turn on speaker pop noise. The voltage takes about 5 seconds to fully rise to steady state.
Old 5th May 2019, 07:05 PM   #70
maartn is offline maartn  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
I forgot to include the choke L101. Something like a ferrite core toroidal EMI filter with approximate 5A capability and circa 10uH value is good. 8mm hole pitch, 19mm dia max, 10mm thick max.
Hi XRK, trying to order parts. Mouser does not seem to have anything that comes close to these specs. The ones around 5A all have a much larger diameter. Looking at this datasheet, it would have to be =< 1.4A to fit the 19mm. Is the spec correct? If so, any suggestions?

GB for Simple Cap-Mx Regulated Low-Noise PSUHide this!Advertise here!