• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

GB for Simple Cap-Mx Regulated Low-Noise PSU

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Drpro,
That PSU looks really nice. Wish I had once packaged as nicely!

827523d1585075270-gb-simple-cap-mx-regulated-low-noise-psu-5v-jpg

Is the sound with this PSU in RPi working out?

X,

I'm trying to put to use your simple cap-Mx PSU along with a TPS7A74xx LDO board. I've set the output voltage to 5.0VDC on the LDO, and using an upstream SMPS PSU of 12VDC. As can be seen in the photos, I'm getting 6.14 volts instead of 5 volts Is there some other part I need to substitute on the cap-MX board to achieve a 5.0v output?

Attachments

• P1020128.jpg
    P1020128.jpg
    464.9 KB · Views: 207
  • P1020124.jpg
    P1020124.jpg
    352.2 KB · Views: 192
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Pin 1 is EN and tied to Pin 2 (INPUT), Pin 3 is GND, Pin 4 is OUTPUT, pin 5 is GND.

Cut pin 1 and 5 to allow use as 78xx regulator. Pin 4 is internally tied to SENSE on the chip. Pin 1 needs to be tied to Pin 2 to enable operation.

Here is datasheet:
http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tps7a4701-ep.pdf

attachment.php

Attachments

• FE424DA7-F7E7-406B-95AB-C23F9FC68118.jpeg
    FE424DA7-F7E7-406B-95AB-C23F9FC68118.jpeg
    773.5 KB · Views: 327
Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
How are you setting the voltage? With pot of programming jumpers? The pot can be adjusted to get you any voltage you need by monitoring the output voltage and turning the screw. So not sure how you set it to 5v?

Edit: your image shows the programming pads. But you need to disable the pot as it was set up for the pot. You will have to remove the pot or one of the fixed resistor. I would just use the pot.

Last edited:
How are you setting the voltage? With pot of programming jumpers? The pot can be adjusted to get you any voltage you need by monitoring the output voltage and turning the screw. So not sure how you set it to 5v? I tried setting the 5v by shorting the correct pads. My son tried just using the trim pot and was able to dial-in ~5V. I think we've figured it out. Thanks for your assistance.

Edit: your image shows the programming pads. But you need to disable the pot as it was set up for the pot. You will have to remove the pot or one of the fixed resistor. I would just use the pot.

Voltage regulator options

I have two of these excellent PSU’s running daily in my system – one (ultra low noise) for a DAC and another for the RPi. Now I want to build a third one for a new headamp. Problem is I need a 24V regulator for the headamp and was hoping to use the LM7824 - only to find that they are also obsolete now, like many other popular audio components. However, it looks like this is an even better option – the L78xxACV series from ST Microelectronics. Their output noise voltage is only 10uV and they have a higher output current of 1.5A. Should work very well here and I am certainly going to try this for my new Hakuin headamp.

Hi X,

Looking building NP's 6-24 Xover from the store. I'd like to skip using a wall wart. I need 24vdc, and have a Antek AS-0515 tranfo that I was going to use for a B1. Well I have a spectacular Yarra rolling now, and was hoping I can use it for this 6-24 xo project. If I connect the secondaries in series to sum 30vac, what do I need to do other than put a bridge rectifier between it and the Cap-Mx?