• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

GB B1 Nutube PCB with integrated PS

Maybe.. I used the cheaper mean well module and caps listed on the bom. The power supply section is working well. Even with my very ugly soldering of the surface mount components..
I’m keen for you to get yours playing music with the J113 JFETs to prove that section works too. Give me some hope!

Yep, just confirming that the less expensive supply works well. The medical grade one hiccups and does not seem to like all the caps. If I remove a few caps it works well but since the less expensive is working properly, no need to change anything.

Algar, I would omit that medical grade smps from the BoM. I think it must be too borderline for charging the cap bank.

On to the real testing now!

Is the output of this Nutube preamplifier supposed to be very quiet, or you have a “shhhhh” at moderate level? I’m thinking it could be the LDR volume control instead of the potentiometer that is causing this amount of noise? I’m using a 50K version LDR but maybe it optimal for the Nutube?

Mine is dead silent when output directly through headphones, even on max volume (except for a bit of ringing until the nutube settles after the switch on).

You shouldn't be getting hash noise but it could be from the LDR. Where does the LDR source power from?

I was reading this article regarding noise from an LDR and found it interesting:

Tortuga Audio LDR3 Volume Control: Measurements & Review

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Having put my build to one side in frustration some weeks ago I started following the thread again and decided to try the cheaper smps as mentioned recently. Smiley face time as now things switch on; nutube glows blue and voltages are within a smidgeon of the values they should be with T7/8 adjustable with the trimmer. I now need to get it cased and have a listen over the weekend. Thanks Avtech for your previous advice.

@meanie

Please let me know the difference between the 392K and 332K, i would really like to know if it makes a difference. Please also check the output noise between the change.

Thanks
Do

Will let you know once i received and swap the resistors, now finding an enclosure for it.

I didn't crank up full volume to listen for noise yet, but at my normal listening level, it was quiet, i did not hear any "Shhhhhh" noise, only the usual slight hum that is coming from my M2X.

Having put my build to one side in frustration some weeks ago I started following the thread again and decided to try the cheaper smps as mentioned recently. Smiley face time as now things switch on; nutube glows blue and voltages are within a smidgeon of the values they should be with T7/8 adjustable with the trimmer. I now need to get it cased and have a listen over the weekend. Thanks Avtech for your previous advice.

Glad to hear that you are now able to enjoy the preamp!

:cheers:

@avtech23
I have the same issue with a 23 steps 50K attenuator but I suspect the IPS from my test amplifier causing this issue when coupled to this preamplifier. I will test and report back.

Have you tested it with shorted inputs to verify whether the noise is internal or external?

Any SMPS or CFL nearby? I had awful noise on one amp that was caused by one of those cheapo little plug-in USB charger cubes.

Swapped the 392k for 332k.

I didn't pick up any significant difference between the two. So i just leave the 332k intact.

At max volume, without music, there is a very slight "shhhh" noise, similar to that of a valve set, but a lot hell lower than my valve preamp.

There is something very musical about this preamp as compared to the rests of my sets,
I actually enjoy this set very much.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
WE have music:D. Had a listen to a couple of cd's yesterday; very pleased with the sound. Will have a proper listen this afternoon through the PMC's.
A couple of pics.

DSC_0776.jpg

DSC_0774.jpg