• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Ideal bridge rectifier GB

Saligny will handle very high peak currents, far above your transformer capability. What you need to take in consideration is your trafo secondary that, for sure, will need to deliver serious current to keep these caps charged and as xrk971 mentioned, low ESR is not the right choice in class A operation.

Regards,
Tibi

In which case Kemet # ALS70A753KE040 would be better than Epcos/TDK # B41458B7689M000 ??

Thanks
Do

3 x 68000 uF! What madness! Does anyone realise the spray of mains harmonics poured into the amp by the very high and spiky charge pulses for such crazy values??

Jan

Jan,

I might not fully understand all that goes into the background when using such large values to filter, but I thought capacitors were there to filter/smooth the spikes?

What would then be your suggestion in CCRC for a Class A amplifier using this bridge proposed in this thread?

Do

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Insane cap values cause very high peak currents to charge in the short time when the diodes open around the peak of the secondary voltage. So you get high frequency high current circulating, which is hard to keep out of your amp even if the voltage on the cap looks 'nice'.

So yes, increasing the capacity smooths the voltage but worsens the other mentioned factors. There's no hard law but 3 x 68000uF is way overkill. 1/5th would avoid a lot of problems.

You should download PSUDII and play with it, very instructive.

Jan

Do, there's a big difference between the 'sound' of the BHC ALS70A caps (now called Kemet) and the Epcos B41468 - the BHC produce a very enhanced midrange in any circuit I've tried them (including Denis Moorecroft's 'Slit Foils' and 'T-Network caps (now available by Supertec) in comparison to the overall even spectrum from the Epcos with a noticeably clean bass - these characteristics can be quite useful in your final design - unfortunately, both caps have quite a long 'breakin' period

… my 2 cents

Do, there's a big difference between the 'sound' of the BHC ALS70A caps (now called Kemet) and the Epcos B41468 - the BHC produce a very enhanced midrange in any circuit I've tried them (including Denis Moorecroft's 'Slit Foils' and 'T-Network caps (now available by Supertec) in comparison to the overall even spectrum from the Epcos with a noticeably clean bass - these characteristics can be quite useful in your final design - unfortunately, both caps have quite a long 'breakin' period

… my 2 cents

Thanks for the feedback!

Do