• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Ideal bridge rectifier GB

Who the heck designs tube amps running at 6A :D

I'd be interested in a solution for tube amps but there are already good reports from plain old diodes made from SiC and at 450V we don't care if we lose a few volts. However, I'm very interested in the soft-start option. I need more than 450V by the way - especially for choke loaded supplies.

Note: soft start is good for tube amps with EI transformers. The SS boys using humongous toroidal transformers need their soft start on the primary because the toroid itself is part of the start-up issue not just the caps. A soft-start on the secondary (as part of rectifier) will not fix their troubles.

But what about hard tube rectification? These types of comparison would be interesting.

with soft start and good diode turn-off behaviour there will never been a reason to use a tube rectifier

of course, you can't go retrofitting anywhere you feel like it - without series resistors the high current pulses of SS diodes will over-heat many transformers designed for tube rectifiers due to I*I*R heating of the copper windings

This is to let you know that I'm designing another two ideal bridges.
One will be dedicated to low voltage, small power applications, with very small footprint 6x6 mm and will handle around 8A continuous.
Second one will be able to handle voltages up to 200V and 35-40A continuous.
Synchronous rectification is the next step in audio (and not only audio), it brings sonic improvement in almost any appliance.

Regards,
Tibi

I am interested in acquiring some of these, for Class A amp power supplies in the 25-40 VDC range.

How will these be sold?

A. Saligny is best here, as will act like a miliohm resistor. Entire transformer power is delivered to load with minimal loss.
In comparison a diode bridge will limit current and power delivered due power high loss over each diode.

You really want to pair this rectifier with a low loss power transformer, one with low DCR. Of course this will result in increased turn-on current but it will reduce the bottleneck if that's important to your project

You really want to pair this rectifier with a low loss power transformer, one with low DCR. Of course this will result in increased turn-on current but it will reduce the bottleneck if that's important to your project

This is a turn-on issue and the aim of ideal rectification is not to solve such problem. There are dedicated simple circuits that address turn-on.

Regards,
Tibi