• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

DIY TDA1541A PCB "D3"

Would you like a through hole version of the D3?

• Yes

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • Maybe, depends on the performance

Votes: 11 47.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My build is almost ready for a first testrun and have some z-foil resistors for I/V. I'm going to use a buffer like lampizator. What is the best position for the I/V resistor? At the R35/R36 position or further away at the socket of the tube?

Hi 3kes,

I think the best way is to keep the current loop as small as possible, however I have not heard much difference in having them close or a few extra inches away from the D3 PCB. Go with the most convenient place to start with until you are satisfied with your setup, then you could put the IV resistor on the D3 board.

Thanks Ryan. I runned it first time today. My setup is:
- Fifipi with Accusilicon clocks
- I2S to simultaneous converter
- Fifipi and I2S converter powered by a 12v DDDAC p/supp with LT3042 to 3.3v and 5v
- D3 5v by LT3042, 26v by Salas Ultrabib
- I/V 6N23P tube.

First tried a 130ohm I/V resistor but that gave a lot of hearable distortion. Lowered that to 65ohm now and that’s far better sounding. Detailed, great soundstage.

I’m testing it beside a 4 decks dddac with Cinemag 15/15b transformers.

The last one is my reference to compare dac’s and most dac’s can’t compete with it. But... this D3 setup can come very close with it’s own signature, I like it very much even it still have to run for a couple of day’s to burn in.

The setup isn’t finished yet (will it ever be?) maybe some UConditioners here and there and for D3 5v a ultrabib is also an option.

So thanks Ryan for the good work!

I used the idea from lampizator. With CLCRC power supply, 200v DC. The choke is a cheap Hammond 157G. I used PSU designer to simulate it.
Note that the schematic is showing a 1k resistor at the input, I skipped that. And as mentioned before, the I/V resistor is 65 ohm.

Attachments

• 9A9B03FC-F348-4954-BE45-06FB07CF96DD.gif
    9A9B03FC-F348-4954-BE45-06FB07CF96DD.gif
    7.2 KB · Views: 249
- Fifipi and I2S converter powered by a 12v DDDAC p/supp with LT3042 to 3.3v and 5v
- I/V 6N23P tube.

First tried a 130ohm I/V resistor but that gave a lot of hearable distortion. Lowered that to 65ohm now and that’s far better sounding. Detailed, great soundstage.

The last one is my reference to compare dac’s and most dac’s can’t compete with it. But... this D3 setup can come very close with it’s own signature, I like it very much even it still have to run for a couple of day’s to burn in.

The setup isn’t finished yet (will it ever be?) maybe some UConditioners here and there and for D3 5v a ultrabib is also an option.

You're welcome :)

Very nice setup, nice and neat too. Glad you're getting some good results! Those 22u Rubycon film caps take a little while to loosen up, so you should get even better results after 50-100hrs.

Hi Ryan,
Could you suggest a fifo project that will work well with the D3. I do not use Rpi and most input will be CD a Shigaclone Black MkII I built. Streaming is 3rd in line for me as CD and vinyl are my primary modes. Thanks for any input.

best regards,
Steve

Hi Steve,

I have only had experience with Iancanada's FIFO V1 and it does a very good job. The main objective of the FIFO is to reclock with a better clock than the source, so this should be the main focus.

- I/V 6N23P tube.

Hi 3kes,
Your setup is close to what I am working on getting to.
On your FiFoPi with Accusilicon clocks, what frequency's are you using with your D3?

Aguaazul