• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

DIY TDA1541A PCB "D3"

Would you like a through hole version of the D3?

• Yes

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • Maybe, depends on the performance

Votes: 11 47.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Digi-Key and Mouser have have the film caps in stock and you want a film cap here. The Rubycon product is the only one I know of that has the values correct size for the pads. Yes, the shipping will be a lot and the caps are not inexpensive, but look at this way, you are already saving a ton of $$ building a world class dac for low $.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetai...ivMdW89jzfQPpr%2BPYnHoWSyp8A2cuMwXnlx3g3MQA==

Blocked

16MU226MD35750 *Must be BOM cap*
MMA02040C5109FB300 MMA02040E5109BB100 (1/4w, find a .4mW)
MMA02040C5111FB300 SMM02040C5101FB300 (1/4w, find a .4mW)
MMA02040C1001FB300 CMA02040X1001GB300 (yes)
MLFA25FTC1K50 SMM02040C1501FB300 (1/4w, find a .4mW)
MMA02040C3001FB300 MMA02040E3001BB100 (1/4w, find a .4mW)

Mouser has all of the resistors in stock, so just order these resistors from them with the film caps.

Where are you ordering from?

Cheers,

Greg

Hey everyone. Digeykey has a Capacitor kit 1189-4323-KIT with 3 16MU226MD35750
inside plus you get a smattering of other parts to experiment with for a price less than the 3 you need @ $25.08.

I grabbed a few of them for my D3 stock.

Cheers,

Aguaazul

CapMX – Multiple D3’s:

Question for y’all regarding multiple D3’s – Power Supply being Ryan’s CapMX.
For 2 - D3’s, do you run 2 CapMX boards? Or make adjustments for power usage?

If 2 CapMX boards, do you use 1 or 2 power transformers?

I have enough stuff to run 2 CapMX boards & 2 of the F-212Z or 1 Toroid with 24 – 0 – 24 2A, enough to run both.

As far as SQ, what have you found to sound better?

Thanks,

Aguaazul

Hi Aguaazul,

If using one CMx for two D3s you'll need to lower the value of R4 and R5 to about 2R each and put heatsinks on Q1 and Q2. As far as SQ goes im not too sure as I haven't really done extensive listening tests.

Thanks for the tip on the rubycon cap kit.

CapMX – Multiple D3’s:

Question for y’all regarding multiple D3’s – Power Supply being Ryan’s CapMX.
For 2 - D3’s, do you run 2 CapMX boards? Or make adjustments for power usage?

If 2 CapMX boards, do you use 1 or 2 power transformers?

I have enough stuff to run 2 CapMX boards & 2 of the F-212Z or 1 Toroid with 24 – 0 – 24 2A, enough to run both.

As far as SQ, what have you found to sound better?

Thanks,

Aguaazul

Thanks Greg for putting this up, Will help first time builders like me.

Regarding dummy load for testing PS, how can we achieve this ?
Any starting point for Resistor values. Because as per the Guide the Shunts are pretty delicate.

Thanks

Folks,

Attached is the build guide. In this guide I have endeavored to address all of the troublesome areas of the build. However, I am sure that you will still have questions. Please feel free to make comments and suggestions and I will include those in a future rev.

Enjoy,

Greg

View attachment 907326

Good job Greg!!! This will surely help builders.

I will say I have successfully built 5 D'3, 2 I2StoSIM V1, and 2 I2StoSIM V2 with a hakko 888D soldering iron starting with the smallest components and tightest spaces and working to completion in this fashion. So it can be done without a rework station but if your budget allows it will help to have the rework tools. I do have a fair amount of experience soldering with an iron. The key for me is using a pointy tip, very small wire, plenty of flux, and work quickly. I follow up every soldered joint with a jewelers loupe looking for bridging or open joints. Every board has been done without issue and each board has been easier to complete than the one before it.

Thank you again @ggetzoff for the build guide efforts and thank you @ryanj for the excellent DAC, and thank you to the other members here for your help and inputs. This is a remarkable community!

Mark K.

Mark,

It is a very good point. You can successfully do this entire build with a fine tip. Doable, but difficult. Because of the affordability of air stations, I'm trying to push people to make the small investment with the idea that their success rate will be higher.

I did solder the U.fl's with a tip. Again, doable but you gotta be quick and good!

Cheers,

Greg

Thank you.
At first i must confess i am not so that huuge fan of tda1541. Till now i didn"t hear any dac or cd player or modified that totally fulfil my apetite. Yes it is nice sounding dac, but not what i want. I listen very often to total dac that i like very much. And i have this sound as my reference in my head. For now i listen to es9038pro heavy modified dac because Ian combo is not enough for me. At some way i got Tda1541A and Tda1541s1 and D3 is first design that i am interested in.
Despite so many tda1541 designs approaches, it is very hard to read all treads and find out the reasons for using some ideas for D3 dac. For example why lp5907 ...4,5V. This reg is limited by max 6v, so using any Accu supply is impossible. Why not lt3042? and set to 5V ...why 4,5V. Maybe it is somewhere written ...? My idea is to run dac only battery supplied.
I have a lot of lifepo and lion accus that show good results at Ian streamer dac combination. Also our Rpi streamer is Accu suplied with linear regulators. This was the only way to totaly eliminated digitaliss , digital harsness that i very often hear at streamer (rpi or computer or comercial products) as a source.
As i see no specific ideas for using input board before i2s board... one possibility is to use Waveio as ryanj, or Jlsound usb that can be directly conneted to dac because it already has simultaneous output, but i will also like to use spdif and coax and i2s for amanero...

Last edited:
Hi androa76,

If you would like to use a 5V reg for the attenuators just make sure it has the same pinout. The extra 500mV wont change the operation point of the attenuators very much. The LP5907 was used because it seemed to fit my design requirements and was recommended.