• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

DIY TDA1541A PCB "D3"

Would you like a through hole version of the D3?

• Yes

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • Maybe, depends on the performance

Votes: 11 47.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Ben,

With a 150ohm resistor in place for R35&36:

AOR1= TR1 full CW 202.7mV
AOR1= TR1 full CCW 93.1mV

AOL1= TR2 full CW -85.3mV
AOL1= TR2 full CCW -200.2mV

I didn't write down the voltages earlier with the IV resistors out and the values were nearer to 500 ohm on the high end and 400 on the low end.

Thanks,

Mark K.

Hi Mark,

You can do a couple of checks.

With the TDA out of the board, measure the voltage from the input leg of the trim pot (the leg that is not connected to the wiper) to ground. That should be 5V.

The next check would be to take out the 2K resistor (R32, R33) and with the TDA1541A in place, measure the voltage across the 150R IV resistor. The voltage should be .002A x 150R = 0.3V. The dac chip with no signal input/output should have a .002A current out.

If both are OK, then check the trim pot and R32 and R33 to make sure that their resistances are correct.

Ben

Here it is now. Waiting on a cheap SPDIF to I2S converter.

Mark K.

Mark,

Maybe also R30, just check that MELF is soldered to the pad.

Keep going! Your build looks pretty good!

InkedD3 powered3 - - Copy (1)_LI.jpg

Cheers,

Greg

Hi Mark,

You can do a couple of checks.

With the TDA out of the board, measure the voltage from the input leg of the trim pot (the leg that is not connected to the wiper) to ground. That should be 5V.

The next check would be to take out the 2K resistor (R32, R33) and with the TDA1541A in place, measure the voltage across the 150R IV resistor. The voltage should be .002A x 150R = 0.3V. The dac chip with no signal input/output should have a .002A current out.

If both are OK, then check the trim pot and R32 and R33 to make sure that their resistances are correct.

Ben

Thanks Ben,

With the TDA out all three legs of TR1 and TR2 show 5 volts.

With the TDA in and 2K resistors out I am getting approx 300mV across the IV resistors.

R32 and R33 test good. ~1.999Kohms.

Back together and after reflowing some spots I'm getting AOL to work but not AOR.

Thanks,

Mark K.

Mark,

You've done way better then I've done: ref voltages off and over volted my dac chip! Good work!!!

Cheers,

Greg

Sorry this has happened to you.:( Maybe it will still be usable. I bought extras of everything but C6, C14, C20 so I can remove and replace if necessary.

This is definitely difficult stuff. I can't wait to hear this thing though.

Thanks again,

Mark K.

Sorry this has happened to you.:( Maybe it will still be usable. I bought extras of everything but C6, C14, C20 so I can remove and replace if necessary.

This is definitely difficult stuff. I can't wait to hear this thing though.

Thanks again,

Mark K.

Mark,

The chip was warm but not hot. So, maybe.....

Yeah, I’m just waiting for parts to get here tomorrow. Otherwise, I will just start over.....or just have Ryan populate a board for me, last resort....

Glad you are making progress.

Cheers,

Greg

Joined 2012
Paid Member
Thanks Ben,

With the TDA out all three legs of TR1 and TR2 show 5 volts.

With the TDA in and 2K resistors out I am getting approx 300mV across the IV resistors.

R32 and R33 test good. ~1.999Kohms.

Back together and after reflowing some spots I'm getting AOL to work but not AOR.

Thanks,

Mark K.

Hi Mark,

It looks like your are getting 5V as you should and the TDA chip is outputting 2mA as it should. That is good. So AOR not working is likely due to bad solder joint in the area of the pot, 2K resistor, and C56.

When you say AOR is not working, what did you do and what result did you get? It's hard to trouble shoot without information.

Ben

Hi Ben,

I really appreciate the help!

On startup Both AOR and AOL vary a bit with AOL after a little while able to be zeroed and adjusted back and forth over the 0V point. AOR settles around 90mV with one TDA and 40mV with a different known working TDA.

I realize this is very difficult to troubleshoot over the internet and I can take any measurement if needed. I can also start desoldering and replacing if necessary.

Thanks,

Mark K.

Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Mark,

The Output bias circuit is very simple with only a few parts. If 5V is being delivered and the TDA chip is outputting 2mA, then something in the circuit is not working properly. It could be solder connections, or pot not working properly, or C56 not working properly.

You have already checked the 2K resistor. You also had measured 0.3V across the IV resistor when the 2K resistor was out of the circuit so the IV resistor and parallel capacitor are OK, and the TDA chip is sending out the 2mA current.

You can desolder the pot and test it out of circuit. You can desolder C56 and try the circuit without it. The circuit will work without the C56. Or if you have a capacitor tester, you can test it when you have the pot off the board.

Also check the solder joints again.

Ben