Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Group Buys Members group buys

DIY TDA1541A PCB "D3"
DIY TDA1541A PCB "D3"
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st March 2021, 02:29 PM   #911
ggetzoff is offline ggetzoff  United States
diyAudio Member

Excellent, let us know.

Everyone reading this has to remember, just as Ryan just pointed out, you will very likely not get zero the offset until you are loading the chip with data.
Old 21st March 2021, 02:59 PM   #912
asanden is offline asanden  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I had some cracks on lower sample rates, but not anymore...
, believe I loosened the 5V ground pin from the pcb when installing/de-installing the D3 5V connectors, after re-soldering every sample rate 44 kHz (min) ... 196kHz (max) is fine/better.

Next experiments on the I/V stage...
Removed the 1:25 mu core trafo, and put in 100R I/V resistors, connected to a Pass DCB1 and Salas DCG3 so I can A/B the DAC with my DAM1021, difficult to compare for the gain mismatch.
Believe there is still experimenting to do; dual mono? differential? both? tube stage?

Thanks Ryan for the offerings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanj View Post
Glad you got it all working. Are the cracks over 176k?
Old 21st March 2021, 03:27 PM   #913
ggetzoff is offline ggetzoff  United States
diyAudio Member

Very good work!

First let it break in then, yes, try different output stages.

I use the Abbas hybrid I/V class-a solid stage feeding a tube (5687) buffer.

I have two tube output staged dacs that've I've built. I will never go back to SS only in an output stage.

Yes, the tube is adding distortion but if its the right type (2nd order, positive or negative phase) followed by a lesser amount of the 3rd order it gives me something that a super clean SS I/V cannot: a diffuse soundstage that sounds real. Instruments have town and body that sounds much more real and relaxed.

The second dac is a Sabre dac with a ground grid amplifier (12AU7) being driven by a class-a SS I/V. It is also amazing sounding. I can switch between SS and tube output on this dac and the tube (when level matched) is significantly more enjoyable.

I use Salas high-voltage shunt regs for the B+ supplies for the tube in each dac, therefore, there is no audible noise coming from the output stages of these tube dacs.

This is all of course my opinion.
Old 21st March 2021, 03:38 PM   #914
asanden is offline asanden  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the info and hints! I will check on tube line stages
Old 28th March 2021, 02:03 PM   #915
simon dart is online now simon dart  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Up and Running

I got my D3 up and running today, it's a long story but I got massively sidetracked before returning to the TDA1541A fold .

I have Pedja Rogic's original AYA which I've been running without the digital receiver section and plumbing in I2S from a JL Sounds USB board. I've hacked the D3 with a super simple power supply onto Pedja's AD844 output stage just to see what kind of flavour I get. Even without it burning in, there is more of the good stuff: resolution, soundstage depth, bass definition and less of the bad stuff: grain and grit.

Thanks Ryan et all, time to get busy implementing!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D3 lashup.jpg (847.4 KB, 174 views)
Old 30th March 2021, 06:32 AM   #916
ryanj is offline ryanj  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon dart View Post
I got my D3 up and running today, it's a long story but I got massively sidetracked before returning to the TDA1541A fold .

I have Pedja Rogic's original AYA which I've been running without the digital receiver section and plumbing in I2S from a JL Sounds USB board. I've hacked the D3 with a super simple power supply onto Pedja's AD844 output stage just to see what kind of flavour I get. Even without it burning in, there is more of the good stuff: resolution, soundstage depth, bass definition and less of the bad stuff: grain and grit.

Thanks Ryan et all, time to get busy implementing!
Hi simon dart,

Good to here you have it all working!

Out of curiosity - What part of the D3 PSU did you take power from to power AD844?

Not sure of the specifics of your output stage but you may want to try the on board +2mA current injection - compared with other solutions it gives less glare and graininess giving a smoother more relaxed sound. Its a subtle change so it will depend on the rest of your system to how well you will hear it.
Old 30th March 2021, 08:37 AM   #917
simon dart is online now simon dart  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi Ryan, sorry I didn't make it clear. I didn't take any power from the D3 to the output stage, that has it's own discrete shunt regulated supply and jfet +2mA current injection. That side of the AYA is untouched. The schematic is not in the public domain but I believe it's similar in concept to the OP861 that Pedja used for the AYAII.

OPA861 zero-feedback output stage of AYA II - Audial

It's sounding really good. I don't have a pre-amp and my power amp is a little insensitive so I need some gain which is easy to do with this topology. I'd like to try tubes next. So many output stages, so little time

Last edited by simon dart; 30th March 2021 at 08:40 AM.
Old 30th March 2021, 09:32 AM   #918
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon dart View Post
Hi Ryan, sorry I didn't make it clear. I didn't take any power from the D3 to the output stage, that has it's own discrete shunt regulated supply and jfet +2mA current injection. That side of the AYA is untouched. The schematic is not in the public domain but I believe it's similar in concept to the OP861 that Pedja used for the AYAII.

OPA861 zero-feedback output stage of AYA II - Audial

It's sounding really good. I don't have a pre-amp and my power amp is a little insensitive so I need some gain which is easy to do with this topology. I'd like to try tubes next. So many output stages, so little time
Ok, gottcha.

I've used k170 jfet for +2ma ccs and preferred the sound from a resistor to deliver the 2ma even though it is not a true ccs - not really sure why it sounds better but I noticed less graininess.

Have fun trying different OP stages! So many flavours to taste!
Old 30th March 2021, 10:58 AM   #919
har297 is offline har297  India
diyAudio Member

Hi Ryan,

What sort of power supply can we use for a 5V ? A well filtered LM317 Based is sufficient or anything better is recommended ?

For 26V i am planning to use Salas Ultra BiB.

Thanks
Harsha
Old 30th March 2021, 10:29 PM   #920
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by har297 View Post
Hi Ryan,

What sort of power supply can we use for a 5V ? A well filtered LM317 Based is sufficient or anything better is recommended ?

For 26V i am planning to use Salas Ultra BiB.

Thanks
Harsha
Hi Harsha,

Yes those suggestions many do just fine.

Have a read of the D3 build guide if you haven't done so already - many of the commonly asked question are answered in there.

D3 Build guide

DIY TDA1541A PCB "D3"Hide this!Advertise here!