Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Group Buys Members group buys

DIY TDA1541A PCB "D3"
DIY TDA1541A PCB "D3"
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th September 2018, 02:37 PM   #11
sthcoaster is offline sthcoaster  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

DIY TDA1541A PCB "D3"
Recently scored myself a second S1 chip so very keen to try dual mono or parallel. I like the idea of being able to stack the boards - helps keep the footprint small as well.
Old 27th September 2018, 02:48 PM   #12
markos4553 is offline markos4553  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm interested for sure in one maybe two!

markos4553 x1 PCB

Thanks,

Mark K.
Old 27th September 2018, 02:56 PM   #13
sumotan is offline sumotan  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Your in Jkt sthcoaster ??? Wazzz if your ever in Batam drop me a line.
Nothing like meeting up with fellow diyer. Btw did you make your score in Jkt ?
Old 28th September 2018, 03:14 PM   #14
BarG01 is offline BarG01  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Hi Everyone,

I'm also interested in 1 pcb.
Thanks, Gábor
Old 28th September 2018, 04:03 PM   #15
koldby is offline koldby  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarG01 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I'm also interested in 1 pcb.
Thanks, Gábor
Hi BarG01
Hi Gábor

I know there are a lot of guys with that name in Hungary, but could it be you , who are visiting Kurt 20-21 October?
Old 28th September 2018, 05:22 PM   #16
BarG01 is offline BarG01  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by koldby View Post
Hi BarG01
Hi Gábor

I know there are a lot of guys with that name in Hungary, but could it be you , who are visiting Kurt 20-21 October?

Hi Koldby,
No, it is not me, I'm not planning to visit any Kurt in October. I know that there are some Hungarian guys in this forum but not too many. My nick is an expanded abbreviation of my name, Bar***** Gábor, you know inversely to any other nation.
Gábor
Old 29th September 2018, 02:42 AM   #17
ryanj is offline ryanj  Australia
diyAudio Member

The List... Copy, add your name, paste, and post.

markos4553 x1
BarG01 x1
Old 1st October 2018, 12:02 PM   #18
koldby is offline koldby  Denmark
diyAudio Member

I have also posted this in the "building the ultimate nos dac using the tda1541A":

A little story on my progress in TDA1541A DAC building.
I modded two Red Baron PCB to accept 50 Hz DEM mod and used them with Ian Canadas I2S to PCM converter in balanced mode and with passive I/V converter. This immediately bettered my, uptil now , preferred DAC with Ian Canadas FIFO and dual clock with isolator and custom designed I/V converter.

I had to dismantle it again as it was kind of a rats-nest construction and I want to put it in a nice box with remote vol. control etc.
So I had a third red baron pcb and I just got two pcb from ryanj with ecdesigns version of a I2S to Simultaneous converter (worked perfectly first time , thanks ryanj!) and I wanted to make a dac I could use , while building the balanced dac (it also needs to have 4 channels, as I want to make a digital corssover for future subs).

The dac was unmodded (besides 1uF acrylic SMD capacitors for DEM decoupling) and had the original single MOSFET I/V converter. Hmmm good but not great. Then I switched to passive I/V converter and I got a step closer, but not enough. I then modded it with 50Hz DEM and , wow, what a difference! This is a very good mod especially when you run the TDA1541A in simultaneous mode... Spaciousness and perspective is much better and the there is black darkness in the space between and behind instruments, so you can easily hear the recorded rooms response to the instruments..
The output from the passive I/V is too low for my amps , and I did not have a good enough preamp to deal with that, so I desided to try to mod. my TDA1543 I/V converter to work with TDA1541A. It was rather an easy mod and now I had plenty of output to my amps. Comparing the passive I/V to the modded active I/V, @ the levels that the passive could obtain, showed that the active was at least on pair with the passive solution. I had to turn down the digital vol quite a lot for the active I/V and I get lesser resolution that way. When I turn up the vol. the active performs even better.

The active showed me, when the digital vol was turn way down, that there was some noise overlaying the weak signals. Most of it was probably quantization noise, but when I added 100nf smd parallel to the 100 uF DEM capacitors, it was reduced, so I would recommend that.

Both the MOSFET I/V and the modded I/V (also a non-feedback circuit) have way lower distortion figures than the passive solution (FFT analyzer result)....Makes one wonder ...........

Concerning the I/V stage: I like MOSFETS and especially JFets as input devices and prefer them to bipolar, but in the event of an I/V converter bipolar are IMHO much better. They shine when they are used as current operated devices (that is their nature).
Old 2nd October 2018, 11:01 AM   #19
ryanj is offline ryanj  Australia
diyAudio Member

Thanks for sharing your story!

Much of what you said is in line with what I've experienced.

Thanks for the tip to parallel 100uF with 100nF, ill see if I can put this on my PCB.

I'm glad you got the I2S2SIM pcb working ok, and very quickly too, nice.

Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koldby View Post
I have also posted this in the "building the ultimate nos dac using the tda1541A":

A little story on my progress in TDA1541A DAC building.
I modded two Red Baron PCB to accept 50 Hz DEM mod and used them with Ian Canadas I2S to PCM converter in balanced mode and with passive I/V converter. This immediately bettered my, uptil now , preferred DAC with Ian Canadas FIFO and dual clock with isolator and custom designed I/V converter.

I had to dismantle it again as it was kind of a rats-nest construction and I want to put it in a nice box with remote vol. control etc.
So I had a third red baron pcb and I just got two pcb from ryanj with ecdesigns version of a I2S to Simultaneous converter (worked perfectly first time , thanks ryanj!) and I wanted to make a dac I could use , while building the balanced dac (it also needs to have 4 channels, as I want to make a digital corssover for future subs).

The dac was unmodded (besides 1uF acrylic SMD capacitors for DEM decoupling) and had the original single MOSFET I/V converter. Hmmm good but not great. Then I switched to passive I/V converter and I got a step closer, but not enough. I then modded it with 50Hz DEM and , wow, what a difference! This is a very good mod especially when you run the TDA1541A in simultaneous mode... Spaciousness and perspective is much better and the there is black darkness in the space between and behind instruments, so you can easily hear the recorded rooms response to the instruments..
The output from the passive I/V is too low for my amps , and I did not have a good enough preamp to deal with that, so I desided to try to mod. my TDA1543 I/V converter to work with TDA1541A. It was rather an easy mod and now I had plenty of output to my amps. Comparing the passive I/V to the modded active I/V, @ the levels that the passive could obtain, showed that the active was at least on pair with the passive solution. I had to turn down the digital vol quite a lot for the active I/V and I get lesser resolution that way. When I turn up the vol. the active performs even better.

The active showed me, when the digital vol was turn way down, that there was some noise overlaying the weak signals. Most of it was probably quantization noise, but when I added 100nf smd parallel to the 100 uF DEM capacitors, it was reduced, so I would recommend that.

Both the MOSFET I/V and the modded I/V (also a non-feedback circuit) have way lower distortion figures than the passive solution (FFT analyzer result)....Makes one wonder ...........

Concerning the I/V stage: I like MOSFETS and especially JFets as input devices and prefer them to bipolar, but in the event of an I/V converter bipolar are IMHO much better. They shine when they are used as current operated devices (that is their nature).
Old 2nd October 2018, 11:24 AM   #20
sthcoaster is offline sthcoaster  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

DIY TDA1541A PCB "D3"
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumotan View Post
Your in Jkt sthcoaster ??? Wazzz if your ever in Batam drop me a line.
Nothing like meeting up with fellow diyer. Btw did you make your score in Jkt ?
Thanks Sumo
Be in Jkt for another 2 weeks before moving on to Vientiane, Laos! So all projects on hold until settled there (hope my freight doesn’t fall off the back of the boat!) Going to be even harder to get parts locally!! Wonder if I will be the only DIYer in the village in Laos?

DIY TDA1541A PCB "D3"Hide this!Advertise here!