• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

DIY TDA1541A PCB "D3"

Would you like a through hole version of the D3?

• Yes

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • Maybe, depends on the performance

Votes: 11 47.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Joined 2016
Paid Member
Do I got this right?

If using the onboard CCS and resistor I/V there is no need for other output stage (unless I prefer it)?

I will give it a try!!

Hadn’t picked this up earlier. I’ve just been mocking this up over the last couple of days - D3 board plus psu and trafo, I2S>Simultaneous board plus ReflektorD and trafo the 2nd primary of which will power small 8v psu for D3; a further 2x ReflektorD for analogue and digital 5v and trafo for CS8412 receiver makes for quite a footprint. If I don’t also have to find space for B1 buffer powered by SSR03 regulator and Trafo as planned then it makes the job a lot easier!!!

Do I got this right?

If using the onboard CCS and resistor I/V there is no need for other output stage (unless I prefer it)?

I will give it a try!!

Hadn’t picked this up earlier. I’ve just been mocking this up over the last couple of days - D3 board plus psu and trafo, I2S>Simultaneous board plus ReflektorD and trafo the 2nd primary of which will power small 8v psu for D3; a further 2x ReflektorD for analogue and digital 5v and trafo for CS8412 receiver makes for quite a footprint. If I don’t also have to find space for B1 buffer powered by SSR03 regulator and Trafo as planned then it makes the job a lot easier!!!

Clayton, you will still need a gain stage after the on board IV resistor and CCS.

Also, the D3 uses 5V input for the attenuators not like the D2 that used 8V input.

I'm using the same 5V supply for the i2s2sim pcb as the D3 5V attenuator input. The i2s2sim pcb only uses around 5mA.

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Clayton, you will still need a gain stage after the on board IV resistor and CCS.

Also, the D3 uses 5V input for the attenuators not like the D2 that used 8V input.

I'm using the same 5V supply for the i2s2sim pcb as the D3 5V attenuator input. The i2s2sim pcb only uses around 5mA.

Excellent. Thanks Ryan.

Seen various values for Riv and am going to try what I have to hand - some 30r1 non-magnetic. Once I work out what value works for my setup I have in mind to have a go at making some honeycomb ones ala ecdesigns

Hi guys

Some rather interesting results after I tried out a transformer output stage today.

I used a 1.5VA power transformer with 2 x 15V windings as the input and the 230V winding as the output going into my B1, the IV resistor value was 100R.
AVB1.5/2/15 | 15V ac 2 Output Through Hole PCB Transformer, 1.5VA | RS Components

Surprisingly it sounded much better than I was expecting. Ok - the low end was a little rolled off compared to the CEN but no where near as bad as I was expecting.

This setup is actually quite listenable - Its given me the reassurance to spend the money on a sowter or lundahl. If a cheap power transformer can sound this good... a high quality one has to sound much better.

Floating 25V supply, is that +/-25Vdc but no gnd?
A friend ordered the parts only available on digikey for me (mainly those 22uf acrylic capacitors), unfortunately one of those 3pcs 22uF acrylic capacitors was on backorder.
I have no clue when they will get new ones.
The other parts are either already in my stock or on their way.
As I have them, it looks like all minimelf resistors will be of the 0.1% version. Can't hurt lol.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Surprisingly it sounded much better than I was expecting. Ok - the low end was a little rolled off compared to the CEN but no where near as bad as I was expecting.

That’s good news for those that want/need to try a simpler solution.

I had the same reaction when I added some Jensen iron to the output of my DCB1 based preamp.

Zen Mod has been quite an advocate for the use of iron in his projects. I have a few more Jensen and some Cinemags to try out in different projects.

As an aside...Ryan do you offer the I2S to Simultaneous board populated as well?

EDIT: Never mind, I found the link in the thread.

Last edited:
Hi guys

Some rather interesting results after I tried out a transformer output stage today.

I used a 1.5VA power transformer with 2 x 15V windings as the input and the 230V winding as the output going into my B1, the IV resistor value was 100R.
AVB1.5/2/15 | 15V ac 2 Output Through Hole PCB Transformer, 1.5VA | RS Components

This setup is actually quite listenable - Its given me the reassurance to spend the money on a sowter or lundahl. If a cheap power transformer can sound this good... a high quality one has to sound much better.

15/230v ~15* gain.Ttransformer secondary output 100 r I / V resistor? Will there be a load too low on the output of the dac? No?

Floating 25V supply, is that +/-25Vdc but no gnd?
A friend ordered the parts only available on digikey for me (mainly those 22uf acrylic capacitors), unfortunately one of those 3pcs 22uF acrylic capacitors was on backorder.
I have no clue when they will get new ones.
The other parts are either already in my stock or on their way.
As I have them, it looks like all minimelf resistors will be of the 0.1% version. Can't hurt lol.

Hi Mayday,

A 26V floating supply is what you'll need, not a 25V.

Hopefully they get the 22uF film caps in stock soon!