• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

DIY I2S to simultaneous converter PCB

Hi Ryan
Great suggestion. I was thinking the same. First it is easy to put Ian's device back in. If my suspicion is correct, the symptoms will not change. Then as a second step removing the S03 would confirm if it is the culprit. This is a little trickier as I am not sure what to expect. I believe the BBB can be configured to run without the S03 reclocking. It should at least make poor music running off the 48kHz clock on board, but I have never done it so it is hardly an established control sample. Ian's board expects a masterclock generated by the S03, but I could run your board direct from BBB. If it works then the S03 is confirmed.
The S03 may be easy to fix. There are really only a couple of components in the output section that had the issue. If I understand correctly it divides the 44k clock/2 and buffers the clock signal. The S03 has 4 separate power supplies, and it was clearly this area that was affected. I just hope the issue was contained to this area vs a power issue that bleeds into everything. I suppose it is possible I fried the clocks which would be a pity as they are so small to solder.
Hi Walter,

Any luck getting your system back up and running?

Hi Walter,

Any luck getting your system back up and running?
Yes. Your Distinction V1.0 is singing loud and proud.

I retooled for simplicity and diagnostic improvement. Basically I abandoned BBB/Meiro distribution / acko setup. I now run IanCanada FIFOPi driven by Well Tempered Master Clock with Moode distro. The previous setup was sonically good, but required Linux skills I lack and had no LED's to tell me what was going on. This new setup just powers up and runs. If it has an issue it is easy to for me to sort out.

I continue to run IanCanada's I2S2PCM board again because of its diagnostic LED's. At some point I'll pull out my new air flow station and reflow the ufl connectors on your I2S2pCM board and see if that gets it back in the game.

A final bit of spit and polish will one day to tool up D3 and get the full benefit of your evolution. As expected it appears your early adopters are getting great results.

The recent fun has been with WTMC which for me was a fundamental improvement over NDK SDA. I noticed that it did not seem to deliver similar results for you?? I wonder if you already had some very good oscillators?

Thats good to hear. I do hope you get around to trying the i2s2sim PCB eventually, its a nice little boost in SQ.

Yeah its certainly good to hear people are getting some good results from the D3 pcb, I think its fairly well refined and simplified now, not sure if ill go any further with the Distinction series, but I wouldn't rule it out completely.

Im not so sure I know where I went wrong with Andreas clock, I must have done something wrong as I couldn't quite get it to sound better than what I already had - maybe my expectations were unreasonable. I've also got Andreas oven PCB with an SC 11.28 Laptech here that I will eventually put together, I should get some good results with that.

Good to hear your DIY spirit still shines strong!

I must look into Ians FIFOPi - seems to be quite popular.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Got it to work

Hello Ryan, even the soldering job was rather painful, I put everything on a board and let it play. Everything means a fully DCDC free Pi, Ians FifoPi, your i2s2pcm baord and my AYAII DAC. It worked from the very first moment. So I am really happy. Thank you for the pcb!

Cheers, Ernst

Hello Ryan, even the soldering job was rather painful, I put everything on a board and let it play. Everything means a fully DCDC free Pi, Ians FifoPi, your i2s2pcm baord and my AYAII DAC. It worked from the very first moment. So I am really happy. Thank you for the pcb!

Cheers, Ernst
Hello can you tell what software and driver do you use.. i tried the same setup: fifopi-i2stopcm with hifiberry dac+ driver i got only the right channel playing in mono on both speakers...thks

Ryan,

My I2s to Simul board is ready. Do I just need a simple USB I2s board and U.MCs?

Thanks,

Greg

Yes, Ians FiFoPi seems popular at the moment, I dont know much about it though. When choosing a board look for one that re-clocks the I2S after converting from USB with a good clock. USB is inherently jittery which could be why people are going for the raspberry pie with i2s output and avoiding USB altogether.

My system (for example):
Jriver with WASAPI output -> Uptone USB regen -> waveOI -> Ian canada FIFO with Antons differential Colpitt's oscillator -> i2s2sim -> D3

There are many other options out there, i've been out of the loop for a while as I've been mostly happy with what i've got. Its all going to depend on how deep done the rabbit hole you want to go.