• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

DIY I2S to simultaneous converter PCB

your link doesnt go to Johns writeup. I am wondering if it can be used for balanced, dont think it can unofrtunately. I may still build your V1 distinction yet:)
I ended up with a Aya, but I am keen to try a balanced with tube i/v stage.

Hi Luke,

Which write up are you referring to? The link in the first post goes to where John first posted the schematics that I based the PCB on. Is that what your referring to? Seems to work at my end.

You won't be able to use this PCB for balanced without the addition of extra circuitry. I'm really not sure what would be involved as im not very keen on going down that road.

Best I can offer is a progress report. Soldering done. Used soldering iron and I think it turned out pretty well. Testing for voltage and continuity all looks good.

But I messed up somewhere in the system. I think likely damaged my acko S03 isolator/reclocker. Somehow after replacing Ian's bd with the new one I seem to have shorted out something on the acko board. Replaced a 3v3 reg and now have restored power to part of the output section, but no music. BBB works and thinks its playing but no sound and then it locks up. I suspect I have fried a section of the S03.

This is not a new thing for me so no doubt will be delayed in listening to the new set up for a while to debug and fix. Time to finally learn how to set up a scope using my sound card.

Attachments

• diy ryanj I2S2PCMjpg.jpg
    diy ryanj I2S2PCMjpg.jpg
    419.6 KB · Views: 766
Best I can offer is a progress report. Soldering done. Used soldering iron and I think it turned out pretty well. Testing for voltage and continuity all looks good.

But I messed up somewhere in the system. I think likely damaged my acko S03 isolator/reclocker. Somehow after replacing Ian's bd with the new one I seem to have shorted out something on the acko board. Replaced a 3v3 reg and now have restored power to part of the output section, but no music. BBB works and thinks its playing but no sound and then it locks up. I suspect I have fried a section of the S03.

This is not a new thing for me so no doubt will be delayed in listening to the new set up for a while to debug and fix. Time to finally learn how to set up a scope using my sound card.

Thanks for the progress report Walter.

Hope the problem is easily resolved.

Have you tried putting Ians PCB back in? Can you bypass the S03 for the time being?

Hi Ryan
Great suggestion. I was thinking the same. First it is easy to put Ian's device back in. If my suspicion is correct, the symptoms will not change. Then as a second step removing the S03 would confirm if it is the culprit. This is a little trickier as I am not sure what to expect. I believe the BBB can be configured to run without the S03 reclocking. It should at least make poor music running off the 48kHz clock on board, but I have never done it so it is hardly an established control sample. Ian's board expects a masterclock generated by the S03, but I could run your board direct from BBB. If it works then the S03 is confirmed.
The S03 may be easy to fix. There are really only a couple of components in the output section that had the issue. If I understand correctly it divides the 44k clock/2 and buffers the clock signal. The S03 has 4 separate power supplies, and it was clearly this area that was affected. I just hope the issue was contained to this area vs a power issue that bleeds into everything. I suppose it is possible I fried the clocks which would be a pity as they are so small to solder.

Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi kazap,

Sterreo image has changed. Sources of sound in the soundstage have become more pronounced to their position, bringing with it a more realistic musical representation. Symbols have more sparkle, vocals bring with them more of a feel for the space they are in and bass has more authority.

The differences are subtle, but they are definitely there. YMMV.

I just finished putting the board together and it fired up on first try.

I agree with Ryan - the soundstage is more pronounced. The image is deeper, more three dimensional.

Attachments

• TDA1541a Simult.JPG
    TDA1541a Simult.JPG
    695.9 KB · Views: 606
Hi Ryan!

Will it be possible in the future to buy populated pcb? I hate to weld u.fl.

A great job, congratulations.

I have another question some time ago, the new pcb for tda1541A will be compatible with pcb v2 power? (8v and 26v)? Now that I have finally finished my dac I do not want to change the power supply.

Regards

Hi Ryan!

Will it be possible in the future to buy populated pcb? I hate to weld u.fl.

A great job, congratulations.

I have another question some time ago, the new pcb for tda1541A will be compatible with pcb v2 power? (8v and 26v)? Now that I have finally finished my dac I do not want to change the power supply.

Regards

Hi Jjazz,

At this time of year im very busy with work and family, but I will have time early next year. If your still interested by then let me know and ill put one together for you.

The new 1541 PCB has a 26V input and a 5V input.

Ryan