• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

GB: Round #3; Fo-Felix & GB #1 AC Receptacle Enclosure

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For general information on the Fo-Felix please see GB #2.

32 commitments are needed to order #3.

Now to the fun part: An Enclosure For The Fo-Felix (and other AC projects)

What I've been looking at custom like so:

12"w X 8"d x 5.25"t : This should leave enough room to easily fit 8x Fo-Felix and a bit extra room for other things you may be doing. There's ends, top, bottom, and sides that all screw together. Black screws & rubber feet included.

Cut outs 4x Duplex AC Receptacle, 1 Neutrik PowerCon, and 16x M3 sized holes for mounting the Fo-Felix. The PowerCon are lower noise than an IEC inlet. This does mean you'll be likely building your own cord or swapping the end. I could go with IEC but then there are different ones, and mostly not nearly as good. Let me know if you hate the Neutrik.

**** If I can get international interest some can be made for Schuko sockets, I'll look into it if there is enough interest. ****

Color: I'm thinking powder-coated blue finish. The price changes very little to get this. If blue isn't the right color the we should figure it out, what you'd like. These should look pretty darn nice when done.

exbpc.jpg

Minimum order is 10x: Price is $200 + shipping. There's a good chance I can get it in a Large sized flat rate priority box, which would make it $20 for US.

*Can't mix Schuko & US min order.

Fo-Felix
k 3x
Vunce 4
drpro 4
AmpUtator 2
stellavox 2
Skip Pack 4
niner 4
Robert Twotone 2
jcastellano 4
marktd 1
drpro 4
Lugo689 2
pinnocchio 4
anystereo 4
dewdrop 3
BRN 4
Yatsushiro 2
S 13
anystereo 4
akasaka 4
Mal40 4

Enclosure
drkingweeb

Last edited:
I really hope the enclosures takes off. They should end up being pretty awesome, comparable or probably much better than commercial items in the "affordable" range. Aside from lacking CNC'd manufacturrer symbol, they should end looking pretty legit like a higher dollar box. Probably nicer than the Audience conditioner (which doesn't have as nice of a filter, but has a breaker in it and gas discharge thing).

It sure as hell isn't free, but you end up with something really nice.

You dont have to use 8x Fo-Felix in it. And on eBay you can get new Hubble or other quality ac receptecles for $3-7ea, instead of $15-25 from regular channels. And I do mean for things like hospital grade. $5 x 4 = $20, so not bad for sockets. Then let's say you use 4 Fo-Felix, with all parts, $104. Neutrik parts $10 + stand offs, screws, and quick connects $30 (or less), $200 enclosure, $30 wire (this could vary widely from $10-150 easily depending on ordinary vs fancy)

I think that could still be under $500 shipped, and under $600 for 8x Fo-Felix. Any which way you look at it, it is a hell of a lot better than buying commercial....

Last edited:

I’m looking to incorporate MOVs so the project is assembled but at a standstill.

Would be interested in the enclosure but would need to see some more photos before commitment. The blue would be a deal breaker for me as I’m attempting to match my other components.

Why not just do a front/backplate design for one of the diyaudio store chassis?

—-

Secondary Q

Any thoughts on MOVs and best way to integrate with the Fo-Felix?

If one is building a multi outlet Fo-Felix, I imagine one MOV implementation at the input would suffice?

Also from what I understand some MOVs have a built in thermal fuse and a third leg that can be used for an indicator LED. So as long as the LED remains lit, the thermal fuse incorporated in the MOV is still good and the MOV is still providing protection.

Most implementations I’ve seen have one MOV each from Line-to-Ground, Line-to-Neutral, and Neutral-to-Ground.

An accompanying daughter board for MOVs (or TVS) would be huge. I don’t see why this wouldn’t be a default feature? Is there some downside to MOVs I’m not aware of?

To drop 200 on a line filter box and not have surge protection would be wasteful and just adds boxes to an already cluttered rack.

Last edited:

I think that could still be under $500 shipped, and under $600 for 8x Fo-Felix. Any which way you look at it, it is a hell of a lot better than buying commercial....

That $1,600 unit is insane.... 2 outlets? What’s inside the thing? Well, I found out: a bunch of Teflon capacitors.

So, not really comparing apples to apples.

Sorry but don’t agree that it’s better than buying commercial when you have to shop around to slide in at under $500 not counting man hours / psychic energy.

What about the TOTL Furman 20i, which has 20A, 12 inputs, digital readout etc?

2k retail probably half that or less used.

Furman SPR 20i Power Conditioner-Audio Advisor

Here’s the 15i model for $1,295

Furman IT-reference 15i Discrete Symmetrical AC Power Source | Reverb

Of course there’s other models at lesser price points as well.

Point being for $500 in diy I don’t see why one should be comparing with outlandish $1,600 2 receptacle filters.

For the $1,600 specified retail I’d expect at least:

Digital readout
Sequenced start-up
Remote on/off
MOV
EMI/RFI filtering
ICE
Catastrophic voltage shutdown
Transient suppression

Here’s 7 outlets for $400 with a lot of these features, box included:

Furman Elite 15i (7-outlet Edition) Power line conditioner and surge protector at Crutchfield.com

Just my two cents that at $500 you have to come to grips with the fact that it’s a one trick pony / incomplete solution and the whole thing begins to feel less justified.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.