• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

USSA-5 PCB GB

fab

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Group buy status

“... I have seen this done with a Krell 50 clone...”
Maybe not so silly after all;)

Group buy status:
Fab - 4 pcs
Vunce - 2 pcs- USA :15$ , PAID, shipped
Meanie -4 pcs- Singapore: 11$, paid , shipped
Brianco -2 pcs- UK: 11$ PAID, shipped
Boba1000 -2 pcs- USA:15$ (tracking), paid , shipped
FAA -2 pcs - USA: Paid, shipped
Coolnose - 2 pcs- France: 11$, paid, shipped
Funke and Speedy - 6 pcs- Germany: 11$, paid, shipped
Gary s - 2 pcs- Australia: 12$, paid, shipped
Potstip - 2 pcs- Turkey: 12$, pending communication
mbrennwa - 2 pcs- - Switzerland: 11$, paid, shipped
Bfpca - 2 pcs - Canada : paid , shipped
Praudio - 2pcs - Canada : paid , shipped
Randytsuch - 2 pcs - USA: 15$ (with tracking) , paid, shipped
Hallcon83 - 2 pcs - USA Texas: 8$, paid, shipped
Myl - 2 pcs - Hong Kong : 15$ , paid, postal code ?

Total pcbs: 40/40

Reserve list:
Arthur - 2pcs - Hong Kong :

Add 1$ for packing
Add 16$ for each pcb pair
Add 2$ for PayPal fee but only if gift not selected for reason

All in CAD $

Fab

Last edited:

fab

Joined 2004
Paid Member
USSA5B listening sessions

Today I paid a visit to my friend and we had a nice listening session of both USSA5 and USSA5B. We mainly listened to his choice of music (that was the intent) but with a few of mine too. Both amps have their similarities (USSA5 series) but also have their own signature too. It was obvious when switching from one to the other. Personally I could live with either of them but the best is.......................................................to have both!:p:D

On the picture the USSA5B is on top of the USSA5.

Fab

Attachments

• ED0314EF-9C0E-4913-BC96-E02AD06A5B84.jpg
    ED0314EF-9C0E-4913-BC96-E02AD06A5B84.jpg
    835.6 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
Meanie

U need find the old type bjt transistor.. They are build differently. Silver and Gold insides..and saucer transistors and such. Even Germanium. That's why sound different.
We have made bjt.with current offerings . But sound just diff
Easiest way... Just buy sansui, Sony hafler . Nelson pass stuffs. With Toshiba, Sony and Hitachi.. NEC and Philips. can sound good too. I keep alot of those gear and I enjoyed them

Today I paid a visit to my friend and we had a nice listening session of both USSA5 and USSA5B. We mainly listened to his choice of music (that was the intent) but with a few of mine too. Both amps have their similarities (USSA5 series) but also have their own signature too. It was obvious when switching from one to the other. Personally I could live with either of them but the best is.......................................................to have both!:p:D

It's always great if you can have both. However, I have to decide before building, and I cannot listen to both before building (and I guess I am not alone). It would therefore be great if you could describe a little bit how the sound is different between the two versions.;)

HeeeHeee!

I have two sets of boards, good matched outputs (Toshiba & Alfet) and even two (potential) chassis with identical heatsinks! But I am old, slow and doddery so it may take a while.
Nevertheless I will keep my progress in the public eye on this thread by posting progress pics.

fab

Joined 2004
Paid Member
It's always great if you can have both. However, I have to decide before building, and I cannot listen to both before building (and I guess I am not alone). It would therefore be great if you could describe a little bit how the sound is different between the two versions.;)

Hi
I understand your concern but have in mind that this group buy is for the original USSA5 and recently added a variant for USSA5.1 (with bjt drivers ) to cover for the now difficult to find mosfet drivers. The USSA5B was a request from one member and where the pcb does not fit the pin out of bjt output transistors. USSA5B is new and really my own appreciation does not mean much. All I can really say right now after less than 2 hours of comparison is that both my friend and I found the 5B needed higher volume to open up its soundstage compared to the USSA5 that kept its soundstage even at very low volume. But the 5B kept its good bass even at low volume. The 5B appears more forgiving for bad recordings too but does it mean less resolution or not:rolleyes:? But this is only perception based on limited trials.

If you have to decide with actual info just build the original USSA5 since this is the one with many builds done with full of reports. This is the reason of the group buy.;)

If you can not find the mosfet drivers than just use the bjt drivers and build the USSA5.1.

I think the USSA5B should be considered more like a second USSA5 amp at this moment until more favorable reports are available...:) that would be more safe this way I think ...:cool:

Fab

Last edited:
It's always great if you can have both. However, I have to decide before building, and I cannot listen to both before building (and I guess I am not alone). It would, therefore, be great if you could describe a little bit how the sound is different between the two versions.;)

Build the original USSA5, you can't go wrong with that!

I listens to it more than any other amps I owned at the moment.
The plus point is it performs so well at a low volume too, sometimes you just want some soothing music when working thru the quiet nights without disturbing the other family members.

So sorry if I caused confusion for requesting for a 5B. Think we should concentrate on the 5 and 5.1 now till the time is ripe for a 5B.

Hi
But the 5B kept its good bass even at low volume. The 5B appears more forgiving for bad recordings too but does it mean less resolution or not:rolleyes:? But this is only perception based on limited trials.

If you have to decide with actual info just build the original USSA5 since this is the one with many builds done with full of reports. This is the reason of the group buy.;)

If you can not find the mosfet drivers than just use the bjt drivers and build the USSA5.1.

I think the USSA5B should be considered more like a second USSA5 amp at this moment until more favorable reports are available...:) that would be more safe this way I think ...:cool:

Fab
Fab Did you try to drive the BJT with the original mosfet driver? I know that mosfet hard to find parts but I feel if you use it with the BJT will be superior. :)

fab

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Gaborbela
No I have not tried that. My goal with the USSA5.1 and 5B is to get rid of these too hard to find good audio mosfet drivers. This way peoples will not be able to say “using unobtainable parts...”. I am building the second channel board of the USSA5.1 so eventually I will be able to try it in my system and then maybe compare with an original USSA5. In the mean time, maybe meanie, Vunce or another member will build his 5B....:rolleyes:

Fab