Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Group Buys Members group buys

Simple High Performance DC Coupled Class A HPA with sub PPM THD
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th June 2018, 10:14 PM   #31
gwrskien is offline gwrskien  Norway
diyAudio Member

GB interest list:

Badboygolf16v - 1 pair
Dabore84 - 1 pair
funch - 1 pair
kartk - 1 pair
Yourownbuzz - 1 pair
BabyDontHertzMe - 1 pair
Stellarelephant - 1 pair
passive420 - 1 pair
Pinnocchio - 1 pair
vvs7 - 1 pair
sarathssca - 1 pair
Gwrskien - 1 pair

By pair, it is meant a stereo integrated board. If you want qnty 2 of a stereo board, please indicated such.
Old 12th June 2018, 10:30 PM   #32
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Ok this is starting to look much better in terms of interest. The design is still evolving and I just ordered the PSU components to test in a hand etched proto type to ensure the PSU meets the performance goals and works well and reliably.

If the PSU works, it might be a nice building block for a lot of different amplifiers. It gets away from all this linear transformer and shunt regulators etc that are trying to knock down 50Hz/60Hz in the audible band by -100dB or more. With switching supplies and cap multipliers, I have been able to get it to go down to the noise floor of the amp like a battery.

Last edited by xrk971; 12th June 2018 at 10:42 PM.
Old 13th June 2018, 02:43 AM   #33
sarathssca is offline sarathssca  India
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathssca View Post
Is the power supply given above reference doesn't meets the current requirement ? Is the filtering given there be ok or does it needs further filtering for low power requirements?
Old 13th June 2018, 03:06 AM   #34
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathssca View Post
Is the power supply given above reference doesn't meets the current requirement ? Is the filtering given there be ok or does it needs further filtering for low power requirements?
So I looked at the PSU in the above article (shown here for convenience). I’m sure it works well too but really is not quite the same level of modern SOA implementation as my design which also uses a dual rail DC-DC step up (Traco THN15-1224) plus a TI LDO regulator with 4uV noise, plus a cap multiplier and a CRCRC filter. Basically everything thrown in for good measure. Although I will test first and se if a cap Mx is needed. The LS HPA PSU appears to use a MOSFET capacitance multiplier as well. I don’t know what current rating it is for but the one JPS64 and I are designing has max +/-315mA current and +/-24v which we can adjust from 23v down to whatever we need with programmable low dropout (LDO) voltage regulator TP7SA. Nominally 15v or 18v at 115mA to up to 300mA (for those with big heatsinks). Can accept 9v to 18v dc input and has 90% efficiency.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 005797F6-CBB2-4048-84C7-36A84F19C2A6.jpeg (95.2 KB, 256 views)

Last edited by xrk971; 13th June 2018 at 03:08 AM.
Old 13th June 2018, 03:16 AM   #35
yourownbuzz is offline yourownbuzz
diyAudio Member

I thought it fitting I came across this video this morning on youtube:

What goes on in a PCB factory
YouTube
Old 13th June 2018, 03:56 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

Ok sounds like this thing is happening - in that case I'll wait for this PCB and get the AKSA preamp PCBs posted together if thats ok with you X?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
Ok this is starting to look much better in terms of interest. The design is still evolving and I just ordered the PSU components to test in a hand etched proto type to ensure the PSU meets the performance goals and works well and reliably.

If the PSU works, it might be a nice building block for a lot of different amplifiers. It gets away from all this linear transformer and shunt regulators etc that are trying to knock down 50Hz/60Hz in the audible band by -100dB or more. With switching supplies and cap multipliers, I have been able to get it to go down to the noise floor of the amp like a battery.
Old 13th June 2018, 01:05 PM   #37
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourownbuzz View Post
I thought it fitting I came across this video this morning on youtube:

What goes on in a PCB factory
YouTube
Thanks for the link. I get a lot of boards from JLCPCB. Had no idea how many steps are involved and how spread out the factory is. Thatís $B worth of equipment to do what they do for $2 for 10 boards (2 layer 10cm). My boards nowadays cost a lot more since thick 2mm, double thick gold, ENIG finish. The integrated amp with PSU will be premium construction like this.
Old 13th June 2018, 04:39 PM   #38
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Latest from JPS64 now with selectable Xfeed, and also optional input cap coupling as user option connector on back of board.

Simple High Performance DC Coupled Class A HPA with sub PPM THD-fr4_complete_v1_top_6-xfeed-png
Attached Images
File Type: png FR4_complete_V1_top_6-with-Xfeed.png (734.2 KB, 731 views)
Old 14th June 2018, 02:54 AM   #39
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

More progress from JPS64. This is going to be one heck of feature rich amp. Notice the symmetry of the amp core. That’s how JPS64 says to keep noise down, one must “Think like an electron”, sung to the tune “Walk Like an Egyptian”.

Simple High Performance DC Coupled Class A HPA with sub PPM THD-f003b472-9e30-4be3-b438-7854c8e172b7-jpeg
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg F003B472-9E30-4BE3-B438-7854C8E172B7.jpeg (466.8 KB, 313 views)

Last edited by xrk971; 14th June 2018 at 02:58 AM.
Old 14th June 2018, 04:04 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

Would it be possible to have holes on the pcb for the switchcraft 3.5mm sockets as input and output?

Simple High Performance DC Coupled Class A HPA with sub PPM THDHide this!Advertise here!