Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Group Buys Members group buys

Simple High Performance DC Coupled Class A HPA with sub PPM THD
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Yesterday, 07:17 AM   #351
yourownbuzz is offline yourownbuzz
diyAudio Member

Here's measurements on the schematic - jfet stages seems to be working - similar voltages on both channels, mosfet stage - left (distorted) channel has 0V at the gate of both mosfets, and across R137 & 138.

Would bad mosfet(s) on the left be the conclusion?

I've also ticked off components against BOM - all seems correct now, I used mostly the through hole WIMAs instead of SMT caps, and there were a few dodgy SMT joints that I touched up as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (625.1 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by yourownbuzz; Yesterday at 07:20 AM.
Old Yesterday, 10:57 AM   #352
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

There are only a few ways for the G of V133 to be 0v: a solder bridge on G to ground plane on opposite side, or for MOSFET to be dead (open circuit). As R133 is connected to JFETs which appear to be working, there should be similar voltage to L-channel. Are you certain that those are IRF9610 (P-channel) installed on V133 and V134?
Old Yesterday, 11:56 AM   #353
diyAudio Member

I used FQP3P20 since the BOM said they were the lower distortion sub for the 9610...all 4 came from the same tube, will double check the part numbers are correct & check for shorts
Old Yesterday, 12:59 PM   #354
avtech23 is offline avtech23  Australia
Certifiably addicted to DIY.
diyAudio Member

Are you using polarised caps for c10007, c10027 etc?

If so, c10027 is reversed when looking at the silkscreen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SHPA.jpg (200.0 KB, 35 views)
The ever growing project list.. :NAP140 Clone, NAD 3020i & 3225PE, JLH1969, TDA2050, Fender 5F2A Princeton, NE5532 Preamp | : VSQC Phunk Style, Retro 50W | Filmosound 601 | SHPA | : Apex AX-14 | TGM-10 | TDA7265 | LM4780 (Last in line)...maybe
Old Yesterday, 01:52 PM   #355
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Are you using polarised caps for c10007, c10027
Looks like he using Wima film caps there, so not an issue.
Old Yesterday, 02:56 PM   #356
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Make sure you did not install a BF862 JFET where there should be a BC857 PNP BJT. The BF862 are labeled "AW2" I think. Since both are SOT23, it is easy to mix them up.
Old Today, 12:23 AM   #357
diyAudio Member

All the BF862 are BF862s, and no shorts were visible/measured from G of MOSFETs to gnd
Old Today, 02:21 AM   #358
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

So there is something very different between your two channels. Check the bad channel vs the good channel part by part - make sure all resistors are the correct value.

You verified that all installed MOSFETs are indeed P channel? Sometimes they put an N channel in a P channel tube. And we take it out and use it without looking to see if it is the right part.
Old Today, 03:03 AM   #359
diyAudio Member

part numbers on the package match between all 4 of them, will check parts again, I did it yesterday, but admittedly that was at night while I was tired.
I guess if it all checked out I'll swap the 2 mosfets for the right channel and see
Old Today, 06:06 AM   #360
diyAudio Member

All the resistors are correct values (checked SMD parts based of case marking - didn't measure), MOSFETS on right channel were good - pulled them and tested on those parts testers, confirmed working & P channel.

Swapped them anyway (tested the replacements before soldering them in) - no difference. Touched up all of the right channel solder joints too, and still no difference.

Right MOSFETS are still cold to touch whereas left warm up.

Is there a possibility of a bad BF862 in the right? Or is continuity checking everything the next step before pointing fingers at transistors?

Last edited by yourownbuzz; Today at 06:14 AM.

Simple High Performance DC Coupled Class A HPA with sub PPM THDHide this!Advertise here!