• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Simple High Performance DC Coupled Class A HPA with sub PPM THD

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Harry3,
Can you mark up the schematic with what you are proposing?
685372d1528348988-simple-performance-dc-coupled-class-hpa-sub-ppm-thd-tims-simuation-schematic-v3-png

Do you mean make R13 2k2 and get rid of the 100R? The 2k2 acts with C4 as a filter, whereas the 100R is a gate stopper, which probably isn't needed as the 2k2 is already there. However, it matters where the node to the filter cap is located. I think you can leave R13 where it is but ok to get rid of the 100R at R4.

Last edited:
2. For the main MOSFET Drain resistors R117/118 and R137/138, please use high quality metal thin film as well. I only had thick film on hand, so once again, you may see significant improvement in distortion over my verification build if you choose this. I would start with the 2R7 values to get 115mA. If you really want 145mA then use 2R2 and that will be the maximum capability of the Traco Dc-DC (315mA for both channels).

X - found an inconsistency.
Thin or thick film for these ones (R117/118 and R137/138)? BOM lists thick for these (and that's what I ended up ordering), but you advise thin in the quoted post.

Thanks

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
On the feedback resistors (R16/107) and MOSFET source/drain power resistors (R115/116/117/118) especially, use either carbon film or metal thin film. If you use metal oxide thick film here, it tends to generate the unpleasant third order harmonic distortion. I have measured it and it is not insignificant. But only in places where there is a significant amount of AC-signal current induced heating. Some people argue that gate stoppers (R113/114) for MOSFETs should be carbon as well.

To be safe, use all metal thin film if you want. It will cost a bit more but will be safe and low distortion. The carbon thin film on the key feedback and ground shunt resistors will have a smoother ("less etchy metallic") sound.

685373d1528348988-simple-performance-dc-coupled-class-hpa-sub-ppm-thd-timss-final-schematic-prod-png

Last edited: