• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Simple High Performance DC Coupled Class A HPA with sub PPM THD

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The ultralow noise adjustable voltage regulators from eBay arrived. Need to find out pin designations. Looks like the positive is red and negative regulator is green.

attachment.php

Attachments

• LDO-VR-eBau.jpg
    LDO-VR-eBau.jpg
    652.7 KB · Views: 998
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Verification build completed

I finally had a good day to work on this amp. The build went together well. It's a big project with all the little sub boards. There is an error on the volume pot board - one of the pads on the smaller right channel is not connected to anything - jumper it to the right input. The crossfeed filter has some errors - I managed to fix it partially so that it works but the defeat feature does not fully defeat it. Sounds great. Bias is 116mA with +/-17.5v under load. DC offset is -2mV and 6mV.

Completed amp before buttoning up:
attachment.php

Closeup:
attachment.php

Closeup of ebay voltage regulator (negative one):
attachment.php

Closeup of outputs and heatsink mounting:
attachment.php

Closeup of Xfeed:
attachment.php

Closeup of vol pot board and headphone jack board:
attachment.php

Amp with headphones and Cayin N3 playing:
attachment.php

Underside panel showing all the screw holes used to mount parts on the other side:
attachment.php

Attachments

• SHPA-GB-Build-08.jpg
    SHPA-GB-Build-08.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 554
  • SHPA-GB-Build-07.jpg
    SHPA-GB-Build-07.jpg
    332.9 KB · Views: 1,537
  • SHPA-GB-Build-06.jpg
    SHPA-GB-Build-06.jpg
    365.6 KB · Views: 572
  • SHPA-GB-Build-05.jpg
    SHPA-GB-Build-05.jpg
    345.4 KB · Views: 772
  • SHPA-GB-Build-04.jpg
    SHPA-GB-Build-04.jpg
    475.7 KB · Views: 1,992
  • SHPA-GB-Build-03.jpg
    SHPA-GB-Build-03.jpg
    403.1 KB · Views: 3,258
  • SHPA-GB-Build-02.jpg
    SHPA-GB-Build-02.jpg
    473.7 KB · Views: 2,027
  • SHPA-GB-Build-01.jpg
    SHPA-GB-Build-01.jpg
    354.4 KB · Views: 7,689
Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Some Measurements

It's a pretty clean amp. I am using my Cayin N3 with 1kHz test tone. The N3 and Focusrite sort of limit the harmonic distortion measurements as the self THD of the DAC is about 0.003% at -1dB FS. I am keeping it in the -10dB to -20dB region.

Here are some FFT's driving a 51ohm 1W metal thin film dummy load resistor.

1.03Vpp into 51ohms:
attachment.php

2.76Vpp into 51ohms:
attachment.php

14.0Vpp into 51ohms:
attachment.php

One thing to note is how quiet the power supply is for being a wall plug supply. There is essentially no mains or its harmonics - quiet like a battery.

There is absolutely no audible noise/hiss/hum with the source turned off and the volume turned all the way up with my OB-1's which are 55ohms and 96dB. Normal listening voltage levels with OB-1's are about 100mVrms, so you can get an idea that the data in the plots are for ear blistering levels, or for very insensitive phones.

Attachments

• SHPA-GB-Verif-Build-FFT-1.03Vpp-51ohms.png
    SHPA-GB-Verif-Build-FFT-1.03Vpp-51ohms.png
    73.4 KB · Views: 5,773
  • SHPA-GB-Verif-Build-FFT-2,78Vpp-51ohms.png
    SHPA-GB-Verif-Build-FFT-2,78Vpp-51ohms.png
    74.4 KB · Views: 2,018
  • SHPA-GB-Verif-Build-FFT-14.0Vpp-51ohms.png
    SHPA-GB-Verif-Build-FFT-14.0Vpp-51ohms.png
    79.5 KB · Views: 553
Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Thanks, Hugh. It sounds very neutral and very revealing with no caps in signal path. The amp has plenty of headroom for crescendos and will make my headphones recoil on bass kick drum. The casework was a royal pain as you can imagine. Took me better part of a day to assemble. I’m happy with the measured performance and how it sounds. The DC-DC PSU with low noise regulator works very well. It can drive power hungry planar magnetic cans quite admirably. I am using Fairchild TO220 FQP MOSFETs for first time - they sound great.