• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

xrk971 Desktop Class A (DCA) Headphone Amp

Hey XRK - just wanted to say thanks for the awesome project. I just finished the build and can't wait to start cap rolling. I put my last two matched 2sk170's in and it sounds glorious.

Attachments

• IMG_2483.jpg
    IMG_2483.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 587
Im putting together another DCA for balanced drive without any output caps,
to balance the DC on the output I was going to replace a 1k1 resistor (r106/109) with a trimpot, is there any particular reason to do this with the 22k (r104/105)below JFET instead like you mention in post 218?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
It has a built in capacitance multiplier followed by a CRCRC that will give it very clean power despite what is coming into it. However, for best results, I have found that a 12v linear Class 2 wallwart circa 1000mA (typical ones found with wifi routers and access points, etc) work well to power a DC-DC step-up board (white aluminum PCB 10A variety). You could put a CLC (1000uF and 22uH 1000uF) after this, but find that it is not needed. The DC-DC allows you to adjust the output voltage to be about 22 to 24v so that you get about 18v to 19v into the amp at the Drain pin of the MOSFET.

If you wanted to, you could use a linear transformer (10VA to 25VA) and a bridge and CRC to get circa 22v to 23v, feed that into the cap Mx of this board to get the 18v to 19v needed. But this is complicated

Here are some examples of PSU's that can work:
Westell 085-200054 Class 2 Power Supply 12V DC 1000mA Adapter Tested | eBay

The strange thing is don't use a SMPS to feed a SMPS DC-DC - it gets noiser. A linear feeding the DC-DC step up uis quieter.

For the DC-DC use these:
DC Boost Converter-Constant Current Mobile Power Supply 250W 10A LED Driver 853879987626 | eBay

If you look at DrPro's example, this is the way to do it:
702740d1536616794-xrk971-desktop-class-dca-headphone-amp-dca1-jpg

Last edited: