• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

GB For Salas SSLV1.3 Ultra-BIB

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Because the parts kits have only one of the required resistors I had to purchase the other resistors from Mouser. The only brand I could find with a wide assortment of values at 50ppm was TE Connectivity which are low noise, rated at 600mw, cost about $0.15 each, and are small enough for the spacing on the boards - plus they look great and sound great!

I replaced Salas version 1.1 BiB 8V and +/-12V boards in my DDDAC with these new boards. The immediate impression is a tighter sound which more effortlessly floats out from the speakers. To borrow a word used by other reviewers is that the sound is more natural. Highly recommended!

Congratulations. Nice to know.

Just want to thank Tea-bag for excellent work and time put into this group buy! Also thanks to Salas of course!
Everything worked out fine and with the new regulators the DAC doesn't play - it sings:D

Attachments

• Vq6ZBCM.jpg
    Vq6ZBCM.jpg
    808.8 KB · Views: 386
@Tea-Bag

I received the 1.3 kits last year during one of the group buys. I ordered for 3 IRF kits, so you sent me the +/-IRF kit which I have used and built for my DAC +/-12Vdc. Now the third kit is +IRF but the packet is marked as +5v. So does it mean that the kit parts can be used only for the +5V or can I use this to build like a +24Vdc? Does the J2 is meant for only low voltage of +5V?

Thanks

anyone tried to make choke input ?
I'm going to replace 0.33R resistor "Rf" with Hammond 159ZB choke (320mH / 600mA)
I think it will be perfect for 200mA biasing. Because of voltage drop (probably we'll have 0.8 - 0.9 multiplier instead of 1.4) I'm planning to use a transformer with 25Vac secondaries instead of 18Vac to make 15Vdc boards..

@Tea-Bag

I received the 1.3 kits last year during one of the group buys. I ordered for 3 IRF kits, so you sent me the +/-IRF kit which I have used and built for my DAC +/-12Vdc. Now the third kit is +IRF but the packet is marked as +5v. So does it mean that the kit parts can be used only for the +5V or can I use this to build like a +24Vdc? Does the J2 is meant for only low voltage of +5V?

Thanks

Tea-Bag your valuable inputs are required or if Salas can comment as well but not sure if he knows about the kit parts.

Thanks

Hi Salas,
Have questions about Raspberry Pi feeding.
I'm finishing Katana DAC integration and use 4 Ultra BIB
1. +5V - 200mA - DAC
2. +5V - 120mA – Micro Controller
3.+5V - 1.15A – Raspberry Pi (RPI) with Isolator
4. +15/0/-15 - 200mA – Output stage with opamps

All 3 low current PSUs units are behave totally fine and DAC SQ is fantastic with these BIBs. I did not get yet to the critical listening sessions since it is not fully boxed, but it is already sounded nice in my bench-shop setup: YouTube

Now, #3 (Raspberry Pi) isn’t gives me a needed feed and RPI does not starts right. I have massages indicating Low Power issue and etc.
It works fine when I use 5V/3A wall-wart switch PSU. To be honest, and during troubleshooting, I connected my HP linear PSU to RPI (I set it to 5V and 3A CCS limit) and also RPI didn’t work correctly. It was consuming 0.8-0.9A during that test. PRI with Isolator current consumption must be about 1A based on manufacture “measured” advice.
So, my question is if you know someone who uses BIB v1.3 to feed RPI? May be Liniar PSUs and CCS shunts are not the best solutions for such applications when current consumption is widely fluctuates during different modes of operation. Please let me know you opinion.
Additional details:
Transformer is Talema 70060K - 7V/3.57A (parallel)
R1 is set to 0.56R 5W (MRA-5) – I measure 0.9-1A on R1 dining PRI connected as load after 1 min of board turned On.

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I generally don't recommend CCSed shunt for mini computers. It seems they do fast bursting that asks for higher CCS setting and stronger transformer than initially thought from their suggested spec. That leads to high heat shunt PSU setting until workable. Maybe they are weird loads for phase also because not doing well even on your HP bench supply is curious. Try with R9 1k or 1.5k and boost the CCS setting also. Put another 0.56R on top. But use a stronger M1 type.