• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

GB For Salas SSLV1.3 Ultra-BIB

Joined 2006
Paid Member
SSLV1.3 - The Ultra-BIB
The group buy is for an updated Low Voltage shunt reg designed by Salas. This updated board uses no NOS JFETs making parts to supply and costs easier to predict. The circuit has been updated an initial clinical listening test have been positive, and noted as an improvement to the original BIB design. The board uses a universal set of components. So there is no need for calculations for voltage setting etc. As long as the appropriate transformers are used, the voltage can easily be set with the components listed in the schematics. The R1 current setting resistors will need to be calculated. This should make buying components for the project less worrisome.

Build Thread SSLV1.3 "Ultra-BIB"

Salas SSLV1.3 UltraBiB shunt regulator - diyAudio

Salas thoughts..
As the beloved SSLV1.1 BiB shunt reg was getting long in the tooth especially for NOS JFETS I had in mind for some time now to design its successor. The goals were: 1. In production parts 2. Much simpler to set up. 3. Better technical and subjective performance.

After many breadboard experiments and two prototype PCB iterations I feel that my goals were finally met. So here comes the UltraBiB

-Uses no NOS parts. (This was a short lived story, now the PF5102 and BC560c are NOS, but I have thousands)
-Can do 5V to 40V output without changing a thing in its configuration.
-Nothing to choose and match. No tolerances in predicting its CCS limit setting.
-Has 45dB more open loop gain and many times less output impedance than 1.1
-Sounds easily better.
-Its an electrically and mechanically drop in replacement for an upgrade.

Some initial quotes on sound

From Dimdim
"When we swapped it in place of the BiB 1.1 in my Soekris, the improvement was immediately obvious and not subtle. There was a general improvement in clarity and silence, but the biggest improvement (imho) is that the music appeared to have more energy in the lower mid area, where before it was kind of "dry". This was with Salas' very first prototype, built with standard (non-boutique) components. The board that I built with audio grade capacitors in the filter bank and MUSE BP caps in the output sounded even better."

From VGeorge
"The change in sound to better was apparent at first listen. As other have described, better clarity and definition throughout the audio range, but for me it was also apparent up high the frequency where I could hear more power but without any harshness."

The board will consist of three different reg's on one board. The board is V-Scored and can be broken into three boards, two boards etc.

On each full board there is a two positive regs and one negative rail reg.

Extra mini-kits (partial kits) are available to support building of the board - but leave out C1 Filtering cap and most resistors .

The boards will sell for $25 each, with $8 minimum shipping USA and Canada 10 min International, paypal only. Shipping has increased substaintially for international shipping, so I can only send a limited amount of boards and kits before it becomes a "package" as opposed to a "flat" and the cost typically doubles.

BOM List for board
UltraBIB Minikits - Google Sheets

UBIB Positive Minikit - Please note if needed 5V operation, J3 must be <7.5ma. You must also use RED leds here the 1.85 vF type. Please add this to private message so I can put a measured one to put in your kit. WP113IDT is a sub for WP1773ID LED stated below.

UBIB Negative Minikit

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2006
Paid Member
how exactly do you set te output voltage to anything from 5 to 40? is the ripple and noise behavior optimal in all of these output voltages?

So, maybe the words are misleading so far. We should post most technical issues the original and build thread listed in first post.

Lets look at it this way. As a comparison - the SSLV1.1 had to have some calculations to be done in order to get voltage correct. So it was more of a science project and trail and error. The calculator posted in that thread helped.

With this setup. One can buy a common set of components for all voltages. However, you should be the appropriate transformer for each project. I believe it needs to be the same volage 12VAC for 12VDC or even a two volts higher for target DC voltage. The CCS will burn the rest off. Salas might be able to give a more precise answer here.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
GB #1 2018 Salas Boards ends 5/27/2018

Okay,
GB is officially started and I have sent out Private Messages to those who have already signed up. Please read the entire message. If you have not received one, please private message me and I will send it to you. The GB will close at midnight on 5/27/18. Please make payments before the end of that day. Any paypal invoice I send should be able to be paid by Credit card or Debit card without a paypal account needed.