Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Group Buys Members group buys

GB  For Salas SSLV1.3 Ultra-BIB
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th June 2020, 02:13 PM   #471
Salas is online now Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

No need if so
Old 30th June 2020, 06:12 PM   #472
codyt is offline codyt  United States
diyAudio Member

I apologize if this has been covered elsewhere, but can I go with a smaller reservoir cap than 6800uf? I’m dealing with a pretty small spot in my chassis and will be stacking my boards. Moreover, it’s a 2U chassis and I have to watch height. The largest cap I can find that meets my needs is 3300uf.
Old 30th June 2020, 06:40 PM   #473
tombo56 is offline tombo56  Croatia
diyAudio Member

I will have exactly the same, 2U and stacked boards. Maybe you need higher voltage rating, but for 25 V this is fine capacitor that fits and is big enough for a 0,5 A load:

LKG1E472MESZAK Nichicon | Mouser
Old 30th June 2020, 06:54 PM   #474
diyAudio Member

Thanks for sharing! That could be a good option, though I’ll be getting a little more than 25v.
Old 30th June 2020, 07:51 PM   #475
Tea-Bag is offline Tea-Bag  United States
not politcally affiliated
diyAudio Member

what's the max height you can do?

CDE has a 380sx and tdk/epcos has one that's 30mm I think.
Old 30th June 2020, 08:35 PM   #476
diyAudio Chief Moderator

When deciding the reservoir capacitor's value we should consider our transformer's secondary and the load's peak current demand so to know how much DC input voltage is left to work with after losses and AC ripple.

Vpk-pk ripple= I_Load /2*f *C (use Volt Amp Hz Farad)

Don't forget f=50Hz or 60Hz (EUR USA). C=C1 in our circuit. For example when C1=6800uF plug 0.0068 Farad.

A true RMS multimeter can read ripple's AC RMS value when you don't have an oscilloscope to see it peak to peak. Red probe on Rf's bottom leg (the one near Cs) and black probe on the 0V output. Multiply the reading by 3.3 for pk-pk because the waveform's shape is not a perfect sawtooth (x3.46). The actual Vpp result can even prove little better than what the ballpark formula predicted.

When subtracting two bridge diodes Vf loss and Vripple pk-pk for given max load current and the reservoir capacitor used, we want our transformer to provide for all that plus 5V Vin-Vout DC margin for M1 to work best as a CCS.
Old 30th June 2020, 08:38 PM   #477
diyAudio Member

I’ve been trying to stick to 25mm height. I just found a 25x25 5600uf 35v Pana that should work.
Old 30th June 2020, 08:40 PM   #478
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
When deciding the reservoir capacitor's value we should consider our transformer's secondary and the load's peak current demand so to know how much DC input voltage is left to work with after losses and AC ripple.

Vpk-pk ripple= I_Load /2*f *C (use Volt Amp Hz Farad)

Don't forget f=50Hz or 60Hz (EUR USA). C=C1 in our circuit. For example when C1=6800uF plug 0.0068 Farad.

A true RMS multimeter can read ripple's AC RMS value when you don't have an oscilloscope to see it peak to peak. Red probe on Rf's bottom leg (the one near Cs) and black probe on the 0V output. Multiply the reading by 3.3 for pk-pk because the waveform's shape is not a perfect sawtooth (x3.46). The actual Vpp result can even prove little better than what the ballpark formula predicted.

When subtracting two bridge diodes Vf loss and Vripple pk-pk for given max load current and the reservoir capacitor used, we want our transformer to provide for all that plus 5V Vin-Vout DC margin for M1 to work best as a CCS.
This is outstanding - thanks!!
Old 30th June 2020, 08:55 PM   #479
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Rf makes a little extra loss too that we can measure as DC RMS voltage drop across its legs. In general we will not hit input DC starving thresholds with logically chosen transformer outputs and C1 values for the usual loads mated to SSLV1.3. But I gave you the full breakdown to know how things work in case it will be needed.
Old 30th June 2020, 09:02 PM   #480
diyAudio Member

Understanding the problem is so much better than just getting an answer. Now I have an answer and I learned something!

GB  For Salas SSLV1.3 Ultra-BIBHide this!Advertise here!