• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

GB: Fo-Felix EMI Filter for AC mains 120/230v; By Folsom

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I finally finished and tested mine and its working perfectly.
The DC blocker is only hooked up to the 17A bourns coil that goes to the power amp.
12awg wire was used only because I had some and the quick disconnects for easy changes if needed.
Teflon coated 14awg wire would be much easier to work with IMO.

All in all, with this being my first DIY project I'm very happy :).

Thanks Destroyer OS and Per-Anders for all your help.

I'll try and do a review in the future.

Attachments

• IMG_1089.JPG
    IMG_1089.JPG
    279.6 KB · Views: 506
  • IMG_1081.JPG
    IMG_1081.JPG
    416.5 KB · Views: 490
  • IMG_1086-2.jpg
    IMG_1086-2.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 489
Last edited:
I have a soldering question.

I rarely have a solder joint that only takes 2-3 seconds like I've seen so many times before online.
In fact, sometimes it seems to take 30-60 seconds and still fails.

I clean the tip all the time, use liquid flux, a Hakko station at 750F, and Kester 63/37.

What I've been doing is soldering the coils and fuse clips first thinking they take a lot of heat and it's best to get them
out of the way before soldering the small components.

Am I doing this wrong?

Because I solder the big stuff first, am I making it harder to heat up the joints for the smaller components?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
More heat. 775F for this stuff will work better. You may even get closer to 800 depending on how many watts the iron is (how fast it’ll lose heat and regain on contact).

You want the joint to heat fast, and not get tons of thermal spread. Waiting 30 seconds just wears down the PCB board and can cause lifting/bubbling etc.

I suggest to get these big connector and cmc joint going you put a dab of solder on the tip and then press that dab into the joint. It is effectively like upsizing the tip. Then you can try to feed some solder into it, may take a couple seconds. If it pools up a little that is ok, just slow down and wait for it to plop it onto the lead and PCB so you know it isn’t cold, and then how much more you’ll need if any. The worst thing that happens is doing too much and not being able to tell if its cold or just has too much solder.

I would run my iron even hotter but resin will run all over and then the solder won’t flow nicely. That is the reason I rarely push past 775F, and have to really be careful about it. More often I go over when trying to remove a wire from binding post or something.

My take on a larger box with multiple outlets for all of the extras in the sound system.

drpro,

Not to be a know it all,
but if you have a metal case, the hydro earth (ground) must be attached to the
metal case with a dedicated machine screw.
From then from that machine screw, I would recommend connecting
the grounds to the outlets using a star configuration.
Your grounds are daisy chained from one outlet to then next - I'm not sure if
that's to code.

Also, I would recommend installing the fuses.
If one filter is over loaded, while the other one has no load,
the breaker might not trip.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.