• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

PeeCeeBee PSU GB

Hi Shaan,

Will one power supply board power one board in mono block configuration?

Yes. You need to populate and use only one protection segment.

I am thinking about these thingies
Loudspeaker relay 24V LR-24 Amplimo

No data sheet with pin measurements though.

This relay is not recommended, must use SPDT! It doesn't seem to have an N/C connection. Relays with N/C pins are necessary for best protection of the speakers at the time of a large DC fault.

In the PCB, the N/C pins are routed to PSU ground and this ensures that any long arcs occurring between the Center and N/O terminal from a serious DC fault will be is dumped to ground. This may result in blown fuses or exploding transistors, but the speaker will remain intact. Without the N/C pins the arc can allow enough DC current to melt the speaker's voice coil.

Shaan, quick question about about the resistor values for the 5W ones.

For the VRail value, are you determining that from the transformer output voltage * 1.414? Are there any other factors in play?

What would be the ideal sized transformer for the 50wpc peeceebee V4? What is the estimated current per channel for it?

hi Shaan,

Please help me in transformer selection for PSU to be used for V4H build. As I read from earlier posts, a 600 VA transformer will be needed for both channels. But, then I will need soft start and DC blocker circuit as well. Is it better to go for dual mono power supply using 2x300 VA transformers and 2 psu pcbs with speaker protection components installed only on one of psu PCB ? this will eliminate need of soft start and dc blocker so effective cost will be almost same in both cases.

What should be the ideal secondary voltage of transformers? In my area voltage varies from 230 to 250 volts.

hi Shaan,

Please help me in transformer selection for PSU to be used for V4H build. As I read from earlier posts, a 600 VA transformer will be needed for both channels. But, then I will need soft start and DC blocker circuit as well. Is it better to go for dual mono power supply using 2x300 VA transformers and 2 psu pcbs with speaker protection components installed only on one of psu PCB ? this will eliminate need of soft start and dc blocker so effective cost will be almost same in both cases.

What should be the ideal secondary voltage of transformers? In my area voltage varies from 230 to 250 volts.

2 x 300 W are also 600 W if You switch it on. Isn´t it?

I am not sure about the DC blocker but you sure still need a soft start if both channels are in the same chassis and are operated by the same power switch. Dual mono PSU will even increase the inrush current because there are now two cap banks to fill instead of one. Unless you plan to lower the capacitance on each mono psu board.

By 2x300 I mean two separate 300 VA transformers for each channel psu. I don't think it's same as single 600 VA unit because load will be distributed across 2 transformers so less stress on each.

It´s the same ! It depends not on stress to Your channels but on the stress to Your automatic circuit breaker in Your flat at the moment You switch on the PSU and how much You will switch on at the same moment.
It´s like You are switching on a 2000W vacuum cleaner with fast circuit breakers in Your flats circuit box.
To avoid this You need the soft start. Better transformers have them built in starting with 500 VA or You get them for cheap in a small box as addtional part (f.e.g. at Toroidy You get them for € 19, from the German producer Sedlbauer and Tauscher You get versions they are built in).

At switching on moment the torroids will need a lot of current to overcome the induction resistance and the capacacitors will need current to be filled.
If You share the transformers doesn´t matter because it behaves like deviding
one electric heater into two with half of the power: at switching on moment
your automatic circuit breaker in Your houshold will notice the same power and operates.

It´s the same ! It depends not on stress to Your channels but on the stress to Your automatic circuit breaker in Your flat at the moment You switch on the PSU and how much You will switch on at the same moment.
It´s like You are switching on a 2000W vacuum cleaner with fast circuit breakers in Your flats circuit box.
To avoid this You need the soft start. Better transformers have them built in starting with 500 VA or You get them for cheap in a small box as addtional part (f.e.g. at Toroidy You get them for € 19, from the German producer Sedlbauer and Tauscher You get versions they are built in).

At switching on moment the torroids will need a lot of current to overcome the induction resistance and the capacacitors will need current to be filled.
If You share the transformers doesn´t matter because it behaves like deviding
one electric heater into two with half of the power: at switching on moment
your automatic circuit breaker in Your houshold will notice the same power and operates.

I get your point. There are lot of soft starts available online and I will have to use it irrespective of using single big toroid or 2 smaller ones.

I am not sure about the DC blocker but you sure still need a soft start if both channels are in the same chassis and are operated by the same power switch. Dual mono PSU will even increase the inrush current because there are now two cap banks to fill instead of one. Unless you plan to lower the capacitance on each mono psu board.

I read about DC blocker on Rod Elliots ESP pages Mains DC and Transformers. This is my first diy amplifier. As mentioned in article, is humming noise from big toroids(more than 500VA) a normal problem ? How severe is it ? That's also a reason why I am skeptical about using big toroid.

I read about DC blocker on Rod Elliots ESP pages Mains DC and Transformers. This is my first diy amplifier. As mentioned in article, is humming noise from big toroids(more than 500VA) a normal problem ? How severe is it ? That's also a reason why I am skeptical about using big toroid.

It is quite severe. My 600VA toroid is a nice behaving pretty looking monster. I connect my soldering iron (which uses a diode) to the same board that the toroid is using - the pretty thing starts singing this ugly "rrmmmmmm" song! It absolutely hates DC and asymmetrical transients in mains, even of a couple volts.

The same is not true for my EI 600VA trafo. It is really ugly. But is insensitive to the iron being plugged in.

Shaan, quick question about about the resistor values for the 5W ones.

For the VRail value, are you determining that from the transformer output voltage * 1.414? Are there any other factors in play?

What would be the ideal sized transformer for the 50wpc peeceebee V4? What is the estimated current per channel for it?

Yes it is roughly 1.4 times secondary ac V.
300VA total fine for a pair of channels. Current taken from PSU per channel will vary widely as per signal level. A 3A AC current headroom per channel from secondary will suffice. More is welcome as it would mean less rail sag under load.

hi Shaan, I could use this protection on a balanced amp with 1 pcb per channel, right?

Yes it can be used for amps with balanced inputs, either one PSU per channel or one PSU for two channels.

GB Update:

Nisbeth - 4 PCBs - SHIPPING PAID
loafimus - 1 PCB - SHIPPING PAID
yoaudio - 2 PCBs - SHIPPING PAID

asuslover - 2 PCBs - SHIPPING INVOICE SENT
bvtrinh - 4 PCBs - SHIPPING PAID
solviken - 2 PCBs - SHIPPING PAID
helfred - 4 PCBs - SHIPPING PAID
kokanee - 4 PCBs + 40 BAV21 - SHIPPING PAID
Lutto - 4 PCBs - SHIPPING PAID
Gwrskien - 4 PCBs - SHIPPING PAID
craydive - 10 PCBs + 30 BAV21 - SHIPPING PAID
CitizenKane - 4 PCBs - SHIPPING PAID
SigFire - 2 PCBs - SHIPPING PAID

tome - 4 PCBs - SHIPPING INVOICE SENT
kpsthakur - 2 PCBs - SHIPPING PAID
spind - 4 PCBs - SHIPPING PAID
emynet - 4 PCBs - SHIPPING PAID
vvs07 - 4 PCBs - SHIPPING PAID
vasillis - 4 PCBs - SHIPPING PAID

nealj - 2 PCBs - SHIPPING INVOICE SENT
leejh - 4 PCBs - SHIPPING PAID
gannaji - 1 PCB - SHIPPING PAID
muthumuthiah - 2 PCBs - SHIPPING PAID
reaper996 - 1 PCB - SHIPPING PAID

Malvin - 2 PCBs - SHIPPING INVOICE SENT
ecclesand - 2 PCBs - SHIPPING INVOICE SENT
gopib - 1 PCB - SHIPPING PAID
steefdebruijn - 4 PCBs - SHIPPING INVOICE SENT
Dirttracker73 - 2 PCBs - SHIPPING INVOICE SENT
mexakin - 2 PCBs - SHIPPING INVOICE SENT
jls001 - 2 PCBs (kit) - SHIPPING PAID
zebulo - 2 PCBs - SHIPPING INVOICE SENT
bambadoo - 4 PCBs - SHIPPING INVOICE SENT
pieter t - 3 PCBs - SHIPPING PAID
ckwong99 - 4 PCBs - SHIPPING PAID
NishantS - 1 PCB - SHIPPING PAID
fencki - 1 PCB - SHIPPING PAID

sasha70 - 3 PCBs - SHIPPING INVOICE SENT
dcoff - 2 PCBs - SHIPPING PAID
waeah - 1 PCB - SHIPPING PAID
rajesh - 3 PCBs (module) - SHIPPING PAID

passive420 - 1 PCB - SHIPPING INVOICE SENT
outtek - 1 PCB - SHIPPING INVOICE SENT

Shipping commences from tomorrow. I realized my previous packets were too small for these boards so had to wait a few days for larger bags to arrive. Thanks everyone for your support and patience. If there is a mistake in the list then please let me know.

Thanks,
shaan

GB Update:

Nisbeth - 4 PCBs - SHIPPED
loafimus - 1 PCB - SHIPPED
yoaudio - 2 PCBs - SHIPPED
bvtrinh - 4 PCBs - SHIPPED
fencki - 1 PCB - SHIPPED
solviken - 2 PCBs - SHIPPED
helfred - 4 PCBs - SHIPPED
kokanee - 4 PCBs + 40 BAV21 - SHIPPED

Lutto - 4 PCBs - SHIPPING PAID
Gwrskien - 4 PCBs - SHIPPING PAID
craydive - 10 PCBs + 30 BAV21 - SHIPPING PAID
CitizenKane - 4 PCBs - SHIPPING PAID
SigFire - 2 PCBs - SHIPPING PAID
tome - 4 PCBs - SHIPPING PAID
kpsthakur - 2 PCBs - SHIPPING PAID
spind - 4 PCBs - SHIPPING PAID
emynet - 4 PCBs - SHIPPING PAID
vvs07 - 4 PCBs - SHIPPING PAID
vasillis - 4 PCBs - SHIPPING PAID
nealj - 2 PCBs - SHIPPING PAID
ecclesand - 2 PCBs - SHIPPING PAID
steefdebruijn - 4 PCBs - SHIPPING PAID
Dirttracker73 - 2 PCBs - SHIPPING PAID
mexakin - 2 PCBs - SHIPPING PAID
bambadoo - 4 PCBs - SHIPPING PAID
sasha70 - 3 PCBs - SHIPPING PAID
waeah - 1 PCB - SHIPPING PAID
rajesh - 3 PCBs (module) - SHIPPING PAID
passive420 - 1 PCB - SHIPPING PAID
outtek - 1 PCB - SHIPPING PAID
zebulo - 2 PCBs - SHIPPING INVOICE SENT
asuslover - 2 PCBs - SHIPPING INVOICE SENT

If there is a mistake in the list then please let me know. I am shipping in small batches everyday throughout the week and will post GB updates every Monday.

Thanks everyone for your patience.

GB Update:

Nisbeth - 4 PCBs - SHIPPED
loafimus - 1 PCB - SHIPPED
yoaudio - 2 PCBs - SHIPPED
bvtrinh - 4 PCBs - SHIPPED
fencki - 1 PCB - SHIPPED
solviken - 2 PCBs - SHIPPED
helfred - 4 PCBs - SHIPPED
kokanee - 4 PCBs + 40 BAV21 - SHIPPED
Lutto - 4 PCBs - SHIPPED
Gwrskien - 4 PCBs - SHIPPED
craydive - 10 PCBs + 30 BAV21 - SHIPPED
CitizenKane - 4 PCBs - SHIPPED
SigFire - 2 PCBs - SHIPPED
kpsthakur - 2 PCBs - SHIPPED
waeah - 1 PCB - SHIPPED
rajesh - 3 PCBs (module) - SHIPPED
tome - 4 PCBs - SHIPPED
spind - 4 PCBs - SHIPPED
emynet - 4 PCBs - SHIPPED
vvs07 - 4 PCBs - SHIPPED
vasillis - 4 PCBs - SHIPPED
nealj - 2 PCBs - SHIPPED

ecclesand - 2 PCBs - SHIPPING PAID
steefdebruijn - 4 PCBs - SHIPPING PAID
Dirttracker73 - 2 PCBs - SHIPPING PAID
mexakin - 2 PCBs - SHIPPING PAID
bambadoo - 4 PCBs - SHIPPING PAID
sasha70 - 3 PCBs - SHIPPING PAID
passive420 - 1 PCB - SHIPPING PAID
outtek - 1 PCB - SHIPPING PAID
zebulo - 2 PCBs - SHIPPING PAID
asuslover - 2 PCBs - SHIPPING PAID

If there is a mistake in the list then please let me know. I am shipping in small batches everyday throughout the week and will post GB updates every Monday.

Thanks everyone for your patience.