Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Group Buys Members group buys

EU: Router circle jig 56mm-420mm in 1mm step
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th March 2018, 09:21 AM   #1
Mario Pankov is offline Mario Pankov  Europe
diyAudio Member

Default EU: Router circle jig 56mm-420mm in 1mm step

Hello all,

I was in the need of a new circle jig as I upgraded to a DW625. The only options I found were from Jasper but they`re in inches. I wanted a precise one so I went on designing a CAD file and passing it on to a laser cutting facility. Here are the features:

- it can cut diamaters starting from 56mm to 420mm with a 12mm diameter cutter. If you exchange the cutter to a 6mm one, it will do 50mm to 414mm.
- step is 1mm in diameter
- it will have engraved numbers and legend
- the holes are not exact - I have added an extra 0.25mm to the radius as most chassis have +/- tolerance and I found it neccessary as speakers otherwise get stuck and are hard to fit in, especially after spraying
- holes are for the DW625 but I can add other routers as well, just ask. I will need some scan or drawing of your base. You can also drill the holes required later yourself using a piece of copy paper to mark the holes and transfer them onto the jig.
- material will very likely be 3mm aluminium-magnesium alloy which is harder. I wanted steel but laser guys said it will bend due to the temperature from the many holes so was abandoned as an idea.
- laser precision is +/- 0.3mm
- it has an option at the other end (auxiliary handle) to screw a handle or add a counterweight so end doesn`t lift off.

The best price offer was for EUR 44.51 per jig if I buy 4. For more, price will be slightly cheaper, but not much.

Are there any of you interested in buying a template so we can share costs? Aluminium is light, I think postage to anywhere in the EU will be around EUR10 but will doublecheck as it is wide and will need extra support on both sides to avoid bending due ot being hit while in transport.

The jig design is attached as a pdf. If anyone thinks it can be done cheaper somewhere else, I would be glad to use their facility. If you require or have suggestions for corrections, I am open minded to apply and improve the design, just let me know
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Router_jig.pdf (253.7 KB, 441 views)

Last edited by Mario Pankov; 4th March 2018 at 09:29 AM.
Old 4th March 2018, 09:49 AM   #2
Nisbeth is offline Nisbeth  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Definitely interested .

Would be a bit concerned that 3mm material is a bit thin though, even if a hard alloy is used (it still flexes I think?). Would it be possible/feasible to look at thicker material?

/U.

PS: Router is Bosch POF1400ACE
Old 4th March 2018, 10:47 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

God dag,

Yes, indeed I would prefer 4mm. The alloy is pretty tough but my own preference would be for either steel or POM plastics. Steel cannot be drilled by laser due to its tendency to bend. The later (POM) is the best material but is quite pricey. Its tough, very wear resistant (it is often used for the production of gear box elements), feels greasy to the touch so will run smooth and is rust and glue resistant. But is expensive If more people show up interested, I think I can modify the file to get 6 pieces out of a 50cm x 100cm sheet of POM which will costaround 14.64 per jig produced (material alone, cutting should be similar so I think we an fit in EUR50 per unit).

Polyoxymethylene - Wikipedia

Nisbeth, can you, please, copy the base of your router - screws and opening on a sheet of A4 in real size so you can send me the copy as a pdf which I can print real size and transpose to the jig?

Last edited by Mario Pankov; 4th March 2018 at 10:56 AM.
Old 4th March 2018, 10:55 AM   #4
Nisbeth is offline Nisbeth  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario Pankov View Post
Nisbeth, can you, please, copy the base of your router - screws and opening on a sheet of A4 in real size so you can send me the copy as a pdf which I can print real size and transpose to the jig?
Hi Mario, I'll try that - will send you a PM

/U.
Old 4th March 2018, 10:58 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Double post, sorry.

Last edited by Mario Pankov; 4th March 2018 at 11:02 AM.
Old 4th March 2018, 11:06 AM   #6
heinz1964 is offline heinz1964  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Hi Mario

I am interested too.

Have the same router as Nisbeth. Bosch POF1400ACE

should the hole for the hanger not be further away from the handle hole.

Best regards

Uwe
Old 4th March 2018, 11:20 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi Uwe,

It is 10mm away of the hanger hole, at 3-4mm thickness thats pretty stong but I think your point is how easy to hang it would be this way, so I moved it further to the edge. I have added the reworked file and also another addon I will include - connecting lines between the holes for easier navigation.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Router_jig.pdf (262.4 KB, 63 views)

Last edited by Mario Pankov; 4th March 2018 at 11:48 AM.
Old 4th March 2018, 11:42 AM   #8
heinz1964 is offline heinz1964  Denmark
diyAudio Member

hi

yes indeed, I was worried that the diameter of a handle would cover the hanger hole.
Old 4th March 2018, 12:12 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Ok, I added another extra - close to the hanger there are 4 holes which are slightly smaller - 2.3mm and 3.2mm in diameter and will be threaded to accomodate 3 and 4mm bolts. As these bolts are used as the guiding element, this way they can be stored on the jig itself and the thread will keep them in place.

Will add the connecting lines between holes tomorrow when I have some more time
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Router_jig.pdf (264.4 KB, 64 views)
Old 4th March 2018, 10:17 PM   #10
jcastellano is offline jcastellano  Spain
diyAudio Member

Default Interested

Hi,
Iím interested as I have the same issue with the Jasper being in inches.

Regards

Jorge

EU: Router circle jig 56mm-420mm in 1mm stepHide this!Advertise here!