• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

PeeCeeBee V4H GB

As the title suggests, a few days ago I let the magic smoke out of my V4H :eek:.

In my infinite wisdom, I was messing around with my turntable to identify a wee bit of background noise. During this time, I had my preamp cranked up full blast into the V4H. I unplugged my turntable from power, and then trying out a different power outlet, plugged it back in. Immediately after this, something popped within the V4H and a short period later, the mains circuit breaker in the amp tripped. My best bet is that somehow through plugging in the turntable I got some nasty transient / DC and then this got amplified by the phono pre and preamp and the V4H didn't handle it well.

Luckily, I think the speaker protection relays triggered, preventing any damage to my speakers. After a frustrated sigh (and other choice words), I opened up to identify the carnage...

I do not think any damage was done to the PSU, I still need to verify rail voltages, but everything looks undamaged. Surprisingly, the fuses I have on the DC rails did not blow, they are rated at 4A and I would have expected those to blow if the 5A mains breaker blew.

The main damage was to the V4H boards as seen in the attached photos. Specifically, it looks like the following are toast: right channel R23, R25, left channel R25. The right channel has what looks to be a lot of collateral damage (R17 / R27), but maybe is this is remnants from the exploded R25? Also, I can't tell what damage might have happened to VR1, not sure what physical damage would look like on a VR.

Before I start desoldering things and testing to see if they are still alive. What components do you expect will be destroyed from this incident? Should I just start with R23 / 25 on each channel and see if it works or given the state, are there other components I should definitely test / replace?

Sigh, I guess this is all part of DIY, but I miss my V4H, my hifi isn't the same without it!

Greg
Looks exactly like what happened to my V4H recently. Probably smelled the same too :) I'm in the process of clearing out the carnage and rebuilding the necessary bits. I miss my V4H too!

Preamp Update!

Real world tests have been done on the preamp. There is an additional knob besides the volume knob. It varies the harmonics between the two extremes shown in the attached pictures. Looks fun? ;)

Attachments

• preout1vmindist.png
    preout1vmindist.png
    36.3 KB · Views: 278
  • preout1vmaxdist.png
    preout1vmaxdist.png
    36.7 KB · Views: 279
Update:

Hi everyone.

I printed a batch of 40 boards of V4H Rev1. Interested members won't have to wait for GB list until this batch lasts.

Leave a post or send me a PM if you need a pair or more.
Thanks

Hello Shaan
One of the fellow members was in lot of praise for your design and recommended that I should build it. Before asking for pcbs can you kindly share the specs of this amp.

Regards
Vikram

Missed the question, sorry.

Yes it will work definitely.
But if your target is 150W/4Ohm then a 24v transformer will not give you that power ceiling. It will be limited to around 100W or so.

In that case i will have to custom order the trafo.
Can you recommend trafo value for this amp and any suggestion where we can get good quality trafo at reasonable cost.

Also will any part values change according to lower voltage.