Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Group Buys Members group buys

PeeCeeBee V4H GB
PeeCeeBee V4H GB
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2019, 07:01 AM   #921
shaan is offline shaan  India
diyAudio Member
 
shaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Kolkata
Quote:
Originally Posted by delange View Post
In the meantime, my second channel is running. During setup I adjusted the mosfet bias to 110 mV across the 1R resistors.
After setup was complete I let the amp warm up again and checked bias current by measuring the voltage across the source resistors. And sure, about 50mA per mosfet.

Distortion measurements are the same as with the 100mA bias current. And the amp spits out 142 watts into 8 ohms just before clipping. Next up listening test: I honestly can't hear any difference between the two setups.
I think I'll bring down the bias current of my first channel too. The amp runs a lot cooler with 50mA bias (per mosfet).

Love the deeper base that the PeeCeeBee amplifier produces!
Happy to know you liked what was the first of the motives behind designing the two amps - better bass. Thanks for sharing the info.

__________________
V4 GB! | V4H GB!!(ONLINE) | PSU GB!!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2019, 08:09 AM   #922
delange is offline delange  Belgium
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: De Parel van het Pajottenland
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaan View Post
Happy to know you liked what was the first of the motives behind designing the two amps - better bass. Thanks for sharing the info.

Thank you for sharing these great amps!
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2019, 01:23 PM   #923
J.M.K is offline J.M.K  France
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: France
Hi Shaan !

I'm ready now to start populating my V4H boards (not the V4H Rev1), as I didn't have much time until now to work on this project.
I choose the Exicon option I got from Profusion.
My question is about the Revision 1 Mod option: should I do it or not ? Did you actually hear of people having problems with Exicons ?

Thanks for all

JM
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2019, 10:01 AM   #924
shaan is offline shaan  India
diyAudio Member
 
shaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Kolkata
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.M.K View Post
Hi Shaan !

I'm ready now to start populating my V4H boards (not the V4H Rev1), as I didn't have much time until now to work on this project.
I choose the Exicon option I got from Profusion.
My question is about the Revision 1 Mod option: should I do it or not ? Did you actually hear of people having problems with Exicons ?

Thanks for all

JM
Hi JM.

You can install the rev1 mod with exicons without any problem. The drain-gate capacitors will now define the mosfets' Cgd and will be almost equal and constant in both polarities when rev1 mod is installed, resulting into better stability. So go ahead.
__________________
V4 GB! | V4H GB!!(ONLINE) | PSU GB!!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2019, 02:58 PM   #925
nanakos is offline nanakos  Greece
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Thessaloniki Greece
No problem at all.You can use matched EXICON mosfets.
__________________
Linn Sontek Lp12 ekos-Audio Physik-Fostex A2-Revox B77
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2019, 04:16 PM   #926
J.M.K is offline J.M.K  France
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: France
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanakos View Post
No problem at all.You can use matched EXICON mosfets.
You mean just keep the R27 through R30 t 100ohm resistors,
don't add the 6 47pF/500V and I'll be fine ?

No need to fear for unlikely problem ?

JM
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2019, 04:38 PM   #927
gaborbela is offline gaborbela  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.M.K View Post
You mean just keep the R27 through R30 t 100ohm resistors,
don't add the 6 47pF/500V and I'll be fine ?

No need to fear for unlikely problem ?

JM
Those capacitors do not downgrade the performance in any way how I understood and improves stability of the amp why do you want to avoid them?
You get some silver mica quality caps for a couple of Euros and less headache at startup.
Especially if you are not set up with scope to do some measure if there is any oscillation. Of course, if you have a scope and you can measure it that is a different cup of tea.
I use Exicon mosfets, they are very well matched but I still use those caps recommended by Shaan.
All do I did not power my amp yet, I amp planning to do so the next couple weeks.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2019, 05:05 PM   #928
J.M.K is offline J.M.K  France
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: France
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaborbela View Post
Those capacitors do not downgrade the performance in any way how I understood and improves stability of the amp why do you want to avoid them?
You get some silver mica quality caps for a couple of Euros and less headache at startup.
Especially if you are not set up with scope to do some measure if there is any oscillation. Of course, if you have a scope and you can measure it that is a different cup of tea.
I use Exicon mosfets, they are very well matched but I still use those caps recommended by Shaan.
All do I did not power my amp yet, I amp planning to do so the next couple weeks.
OK, I'll do that mod. I do have a good osilloscope, but you never know what could trigger a bad event in the future, better be on the safe side.
Thanks a lot

JM
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2019, 06:35 PM   #929
shaan is offline shaan  India
diyAudio Member
 
shaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Kolkata
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.M.K View Post
You mean just keep the R27 through R30 t 100ohm resistors,
don't add the 6 47pF/500V and I'll be fine ?

No need to fear for unlikely problem ?

JM
Will exicons be stable without the mod? Probably.
Will exicons be stable with the mod? Definitely.

Install the whole mod, not part of it.

p.s. the resistors are lower value because the caps were installed. basically, the caps slightly slow down the amp, the resistors slightly speed up the amp. complementary action.
__________________
V4 GB! | V4H GB!!(ONLINE) | PSU GB!!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2019, 01:35 PM   #930
Bassivus is offline Bassivus  Serbia
diyAudio Member
 
Bassivus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Novi Sad, Vojvodina
Hello,
I have a spare pair of Cresnet SMPS 61V sitting after FO1.4M bad adventure...
Would it be possible to use it with V4H with Exicons? I'm aware it's a bit high V...
  Reply With Quote

Reply


PeeCeeBee V4H GBHide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PeeCeeBee V4 GB! shaan Group Buys 1023 28th September 2019 05:28 AM
PeeCeeBee shaan Solid State 2806 4th September 2019 12:18 PM
FS :PeeCeeBee V4 meanman1964 Swap Meet 0 1st December 2017 03:54 AM
Retro PeeCeeBee inspired by Juma. gannaji Solid State 20 21st November 2017 01:41 AM
FS: PeeCeeBee PauloPT Swap Meet 10 2nd September 2016 03:48 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 03:23 PM.


Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 14.29%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2019 diyAudio
Wiki