• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

PeeCeeBee V4H GB

Two days ago, the right channel blew. While playing at a soft volume at night, I heard a "pop" and then total silence. Good thing the RTR SSR and SMPS shut things down.
Upon repairing, I found the output mosfets shorted, but no sign of any punctured or burn marks on them.
I replaced those outputs and readjusted the bias. Nothing else was found to be faulty.

The amp is singing now!

My pcb is the REV1, may I know if I should do the R39 and R40 mods?
a) How important are they? And what do they do?
b) Any reason why mosfets fail while playing at soft volume? I am on +/- 53Vdc rails.

Thanks

Attachments

• burnt.jpg
    burnt.jpg
    439.2 KB · Views: 142
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Hi Meanie, sorry to hear about your damaged V4H.
I had an oscillation issue when my V4H
was a newborn. I performed this mod (ver1 pcb’s) outlined by Shaan and haven’t had a problem in over 3.5years of almost daily service. For peace of mind I did install speaker DC Protection boards.
I hope you have a speedy and successful repair! ;)

From Shaan’s post# 625:

The Solution:

R27,R29 and R28,R30 i.e. the gate resistors (initially 330R and 220R), all increased to 560R (and gate-source capacitors removed).

I am using SMPS which provided me exactly +/-55Vdc.

As for linear PS, your transformer should be 40Vac (multiply 1.4142) which will give about +/- 56Vdc.
Please check your line input AC voltage, most transformers will output much higher secondary than rated.
So final voltage may be a lot higher than +/- 56Vdc...

Hi Meanie, sorry to hear about your damaged V4H.
I had an oscillation issue when my V4H
was a newborn. I performed this mod (ver1 pcb’s) outlined by Shaan and haven’t had a problem in over 3.5years of almost daily service. For peace of mind I did install speaker DC Protection boards.
I hope you have a speedy and successful repair! ;)

From Shaan’s post# 625:

The Solution:

R27,R29 and R28,R30 i.e. the gate resistors (initially 330R and 220R), all increased to 560R (and gate-source capacitors removed).
Hi, isn't clear to me if I must use Shaan's post# 625 or post 644 solution "Get 6 nos. 47pF/500V capacitors, ceramic or silver mica (12 nos. for two channels). These can be the same caps used for C5 and C6. Also get four 100ohm / 0.25W resistor for each channel."