• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

PeeCeeBee V4H GB

Hi shaan,

Beginning a BOM for the V4H. I have the older boards, so will be doing the Revision 1 update. Do I order the Revision 2 BOM as shown on the 1st page?.

A little confused and want to order the correct components. Thanks for the help.

MM

Hi Kokanee.

Get the Rev2 BOM. Since you will be starting on bare PCBs, you can easily do both Rev1 and Rev2 upgrades on it before placing the electrolytics. Let me know when you have everything ready and I will guide you through the process.

Along with the BOM components get 8 x 1N4148 and 8 x 10V Zener (500mW). Since these diodes come pre-soldered on the Rev2 boards, they are not mentioned in the BOM.

Last edited:
GB UPDATE:

Torvbakkane - 6 PCBs - PAID
Faizal Mansar Alam - 2 MODULES - PAID
J.M.K - 4 PCBs - PAID
prairieboy - 2 PCBs - PAID
Pistollero - 2 PCBs + MOSFETS - PAID
RobSoet - 4 PCBs + MOSFETS - PAID
Rick G - 4 PCBs - PAID
blek stena - 2 PCBs - PAID
nrabbit - 2 PCBs + MOSFETS - PAID
deps - 2 PCBs - PAID
Greg1017 - 2 PCBs + MOSFETS - PAID

Hi Shaan, today I've finished the amplifier setup, after trimming and biasing everything seems to work fine, only thing to mention is that during offset trimming starting reading on one channel was about -300mV so I had to do a few adjustments while on the other channel starting reading was -90mV and fewer adjustments were needed.

I've added the diode/zener protection network too

20200803-193957.jpg

20200804-003625.jpg

20200804-003707.jpg

Hi Shaan, today I've finished the amplifier setup, after trimming and biasing everything seems to work fine, only thing to mention is that during offset trimming starting reading on one channel was about -300mV so I had to do a few adjustments while on the other channel starting reading was -90mV and fewer adjustments were needed.

I've added the diode/zener protection network too

:up::)

The difference in offset between the two channels is a function of the gains of the BJTs. Nothing problematic.

It looks like you used 0.125watt rated resistors, which may heat up when volume is high. Or are these 0.25watt?

Hi shaan,

I have the PeeCeeBee V4H rev. 1 boards, which I have just started on and I notice your Rev. 2 changes. I can see how to add the 1N4148 and 10V zener protection to the Mosfets easy enough. Can you advise your method to add the R39/R40 resistors to the collector's of Q3 and Q4 to GND.

I assume the easiest is to cut the tracks and add the resistors to the back of the boards - is this your preferred method?

regards,

Gary..

Preamp final development update:

I have been deep into the preamp design working out one problem at a time. Well, currently there is no performance related problem that needs to be solved - the preamp is fast and stable, quiet and sweet. There was one last thing that I wanted to see if could be done with the 2nd harmonic (since we are really into business with harmonics this time :D ).

The second harmonic's attack is now phase-aligned with main signal's attack, regardless of main signal's absolute phase!

This means that, in normal phase the positive going part of the main signal is accompanied by a positive going 2nd harmonic. And if you invert speaker polarity (180deg inverted phase) then the negative going part of the main signal is accompanied by a negative going second harmonic. For a sinewave it doesn't matter much, but for music transients it makes a massive difference in perceived quality, speed and detail. There is nothing better when the 2nd harmonic is adding to the "push" of the main signal!

The interaction between the main signal and the second harmonic matters most in the "Attack" segment of the signal as this particular segment is the very first acoustic connection between the system and the listener, and has the most significant effect on the overall appeal of the acoustic production. I'm happy to let you know that now the interaction is seamless. Attached a shot from the simulation, red- main signal, green- 2nd harmonic.

And it is sounding truly magnificent in my system. Soon to be revealed, so stay tuned!
:hphones: :)

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    26.5 KB · Views: 636
There is nothing better when the 2nd harmonic is adding to the "push" of the main signal!

And yet...

Reverted back to inverted phase second harmonic. In short, phase-coherent second harmonic sounds awful compared to inverted phase second harmonic, and I have NO IDEA why! Does our brain prefer the out-of-phase second??? :crackup:

Preamp thread going online shortly. More information about this will be posted there. Thanks to everyone waiting.