Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Group Buys Members group buys

PeeCeeBee V4H GB
PeeCeeBee V4H GB
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th January 2020, 09:14 PM   #1041
Medisinmannen is offline Medisinmannen  Norway
diyAudio Member

For comparison you can see my linear PS with old Hegel(norwegian amp brand) torroid. My cabinet is quite full, and it looks like we have the same from modushop. For my next AB build I will try SMPS. Still have a krell ksa50 to complete tho...

My V4H has been rocking for 1 year (after stability was fixed) and Im very happy with it!

Thank again shaan for sharing your design!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180921_165325.jpg (982.1 KB, 127 views)
Old 20th January 2020, 02:39 PM   #1042
bambadoo is offline bambadoo  Norway
diyAudio Member

Looking sharp.
Anyway. My V4h rev1 is now playing wonderfully on both channels.
With +-45V connex smps (x2)

On my test speakers (I guess about 87dB sensitivity). Not a single hiss, thump anything when turning on/off or when idle.

Will test on my main speakers later (around 96dB sensitive).

I tested with scope one channel and it showed almost perfect squarewave up to at least 18khz.

The amp seems very "fast"?

Last edited by bambadoo; 20th January 2020 at 02:43 PM.
Old 20th January 2020, 02:42 PM   #1043
shaan is offline shaan  India
diyAudio Member

Old 20th January 2020, 02:56 PM   #1044
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambadoo View Post
Looking sharp.
Anyway. My V4h rev1 is now playing wonderfully on both channels.
With +-45V connex smps (x2)

On my test speakers (I guess about 87dB sensitivity). Not a single hiss, thump anything when turning on/off or when idle.

Will test on my main speakers later (around 96dB sensitive).

I tested with scope one channel and it showed almost perfect squarewave up to at least 18khz.

The amp seems very "fast"?
It is indeed a somewhat "fast" amp. It is usually very silent in 87dB-ish speakers, however there will probably be some noise in the 96dB speaker.

I see no speaker protection; IMHO it is better to use one even with the friendliest of amps. Better safe...

Bests
Old 20th January 2020, 02:58 PM   #1045
ckwong99 is offline ckwong99  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaan View Post
These transistors are usable upto 35V but seems to have a low-ish hFE of 100-200 while the BC pair has around 350. The lower gain may introduce more distortion. Other than that there should be no problem.

Bests.
Thx Shaan your professional comment. I will stick with BC one
Old 20th January 2020, 07:38 PM   #1046
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaan View Post
It is indeed a somewhat "fast" amp. It is usually very silent in 87dB-ish speakers, however there will probably be some noise in the 96dB speaker.

I see no speaker protection; IMHO it is better to use one even with the friendliest of amps. Better safe...

Bests
Yes I know about the speaker protection issue. BTW. Have 4 boards of your PSU also and some trannies so I might built linear PSU to see if it has any benefits

BTW: Mosfet bias is dialed in at 215ma as according to the manual (using 1ohm resistors in series with the psu. )

After 3 hours of playing the amp dont get hot at all. Not even hand warm. (3 u modushop chassis).

Would it be any benefit to juice up the bias some more or should I just chill and relax?
If I should recheck bias, do I have to mount the resistors once more or is it an easier, better way?
Old 20th January 2020, 08:17 PM   #1047
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambadoo View Post
Yes I know about the speaker protection issue. BTW. Have 4 boards of your PSU also and some trannies so I might built linear PSU to see if it has any benefits
Okay.

Quote:
BTW: Mosfet bias is dialed in at 215ma as according to the manual (using 1ohm resistors in series with the psu. )

After 3 hours of playing the amp dont get hot at all. Not even hand warm. (3 u modushop chassis).
If the heatsinks are cool although bias reads 215mA or more then all is well. The sinks are doing their job well, and their temperature is a function of 1.ambient temperature, 2.radiating surface area and 3.airflow between the fins. If 1 is low, 2 is high and 3 is not facing problem, then the sinks will dissipate the heat quickly and won't get warm.

Quote:
Would it be any benefit to juice up the bias some more or should I just chill and relax?
If it feels like there's nothing wrong with the sound, like no thinness or fatigue after a hour of listening or no feeling of less definition in high frequency, then sit back and enjoy.

Quote:
If I should recheck bias, do I have to mount the resistors once more or is it an easier, better way?
Yes you will have to mount them back. It is not the easier way, but better.

Old 21st January 2020, 09:57 AM   #1048
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your quick response
Old 21st January 2020, 01:48 PM   #1049
diyAudio Member

Ok, testing with my main speakers now.
15inch coax drivers in Onken cabinet. Around 96dB sensitive.
Not a single turn on/off thump. No hiss, hum or anyting. Actually dead silent even putting my ear inside the 15inch woofer to the tweeter. This is really good.

Thanks Shaan for a great product.
Old 21st January 2020, 02:47 PM   #1050
diyAudio Member

PeeCeeBee V4H GBHide this!Advertise here!