• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Group buy: DCT03 DC trap (filter) for toroidal transformers

There must be a trick to using the Wago connectors.
I can push on the levers until they break and they won't budge.
What am I missing?

Attachments

• IMG_0949.JPG
    IMG_0949.JPG
    323.9 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_0951.JPG
    IMG_0951.JPG
    311 KB · Views: 338
1 of 2 finished. I hope my solder joints look okay. I can't alway's get the solder to flow from the bottom to the top of the pcb. Not sure if that's an issue or not. All the joints are solid but some look dull to me.

Attachments

• IMG_0962.JPG
    IMG_0962.JPG
    227.1 KB · Views: 340
  • IMG_0980.JPG
    IMG_0980.JPG
    390.4 KB · Views: 334
  • IMG_0965.JPG
    IMG_0965.JPG
    348.9 KB · Views: 342
I see some bad joints in the second picture. Don't be afraid to heat up the soldering points. Use two soldering irons if you have. Personally I use a 135 W iron.

Thanks, I thought so. The joints closest to the edge. I'll redo them.
If you use a 135w iron then I should be able to crank up my Hakko station to 750F.

I've been worried about frying parts with it that high. On some of the rectifiers I tried using an alligator clip/solder braid as a heat sink on the top side of the pcb.
Do I need to use it :confused:.

Last edited:
I'm getting closer.

DCT-03 feeding 3 - Fo-Felix power conditioners.
Since the Fo-Felix need nylon washers above and below the pcb I did the same with the DCT03.

If this doesn't look right please let me know.

Attachments

• IMG_1006.JPG
    IMG_1006.JPG
    360.1 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_1005.JPG
    IMG_1005.JPG
    397.4 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_1003.JPG
    IMG_1003.JPG
    300.7 KB · Views: 227
The DCT03 pcb doesn't need any insulation washers so you can use metal screws and spacers only. Why does the green board need nylon washers? Too small creapage distances?

Thanks, I'll remove the washers on the DCT03.

On the Fo-Felix pcb's (Rev #1) there was not enough clearance around the mounting holes so it was suggested to use nylon washers above and below the pcb.
I have several Rev #1 pcb's.

That has been fixed in Fo-Felix Rev #2.

Diodes 1 or more in series

Dear P-A
Your design allows 1 to 4 diodes to be string in series.
I understand having more diode strings in parallel increases current capacity.

Is there an advantage in just using 1 diode in each string - in that it limits the voltage drop across the blocker capacitor to just the Vf forward voltage drop of the 1 diode. Which then results in lesser current thru the cap and a lower voltage rated cap with smaller size - so that I can use larger capacitance caps with even higher ripple current rating?

Your thoughts greatly appreciated.
Denis

You can't find 4 V caps or 1 V for that matter. I recommend 10 or 16 V to be safe. How many diodes you use is only a matter of cost and ripple current capacity. Four diodes in series allow you to have smaller caps and at the same time catch higher a DC voltage.

Oh I get it. You are saying that if mains DC offset is higher than Vf of a diode, the diode will conduct and DC blocking by the caps is compromised. Thus you string several diodes in series to achieve higher effective Vf to deal with mains DC offset up to 4V.

Hi torb,

That looks great. Glad you posted a photo. Did you hook up the DCT03 to all 3 Fo-Felix boards?

I'm not sure if I should hook my DCT03 up to all 3 Fo-Felix boards or just the one that has the 17amp bourns coil that drives my power amp.

What are the other 2 boards in your build?