• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Group buy AD1865N-K from Rochester Electronics

...AD1865 is obsolete and I doubt that Rochester have genuine AD1865 (genuine means original supplied from Analog Devices) ...

I found this old thread and it should be fair of me to come here with a correction to say, that I was wrong with the "doubt", because Rochester sent me an original document claiming to be a genuine reseller of obsolete chips from Analog Devices chips, and the same comfirmation I got from Analog Devices company :)

Last edited:
I've used the AD1865N-J and the AD1865N but I've never seen a AD1865N-K, not even in the Analog Devices data sheets. Does anyone have a data sheet showing this version. Does this version have better specs over the N-J? JUst seems odd that the K version isn't listed in any of the datasheets that I have seen for the AD1865.

Another question I have. When I compare the versions N vs N-J it seems the N-J has lower offset(current out loaded into 300R) when loaded with all zeros than the N version. Has anyone ever checked this out.

I was just testing some AD1865R-J versions(bought from UTSources) and so far 2 of them are drawing high current(400mA or so) on the -Vs pins, I haven't bothered to check the other 3 as I suspect they might be bad as well. They look like they are new and not used but who knows, I can't imagine UTSource checks all of these different ICs out.

>>AD1865R-J versions(bought from UTSources)
Hi Walter, never ever buy precision audio SMD components from chinese suppliers. These chips are often desoldered with hotair from an electronic waste and thus degraded or damaged (due to uncontrollable hotair, simple logic: the hotter the air the more waste is processed).
Some DIP chips can be degraded as well, but it is less common as the waste goes into a pull-out process first.
Another audio components from china (like opamps) are remarked and sold under an expensive name. Similiar remarking case could occur with AD1865N to the questionable K grade.
The K version is well known from PCM1704U DAC and can be used as a marketing trick by fake sellers.
Today, I would open a group buy for the AD1865N-J directly from rocelec (rochester), the current price is $27 (10pcs quantity) and you have the guarantee that it is original (AD1865R-J costs 24, minimum order is 11pcs). There is a high probability that there will be a lot of interest in these chips in your location, because there are less and less of them :cool:

AD1864 Data Sheet

Posting this in the hope that it will help with some of the questions about differences in the AD1865 types. Was able to source this through a contact at AD. Although this is for an AD1864, the AD1865 was essentially made in the same base variant types/models (and the negative supply)
It appears the "K" variant was a special type as distortion was half the amount in J or other types. This was probably derived and marked through grade testing.

Attachments

• 73949AD1864.pdf
    559.2 KB · Views: 113
After talking with AD yesterday I just received this email from them;

Hi Walter... Thanks for your recent inquiry as summarized below...

Customer asking if there is a data sheet available for part # AD1865N-K. The AD1865N-K definitely existed... but it is not included in the data sheet ordering guide posted on the ADI website or anywhere else in the public domain. The entire AD1865 family is defunct, but is there any information available in the archive files ?

UPDATE: We can confirm that the AD1865N-K was never added to the datasheet. There appears to have been no further revision of the data sheet beyond the Rev 0 displayed on our website. However, we did find the internal technical note in our archive files:

AD1865N-K

The AD1865N-K is specified as 0.002% typ, 0.0025% max THD+N @ 0 dB, 990.5 Hz.

All other specs are the same as the AD1865N-J.

Best Regards,
APZ
Analog Devices
Technical Support

I think I have 2pcs of AD1865N-K that I got as samples from AD in the early 200x´s
Collected as many samples as i could i guess hehe.
Think I have OPA627 (DIP & SMD), 1704 / 1955 and many more also.
Just moved to an new apartment and found the box with the goodies :)

Could you write a PM about AD1865N-K, PCM1704?
I'd be interested in a couple of one or the other.

There's some interest on Miro's AD1862 DAC thread for the AD1865. I could potentially do a buy from Rochester, similar to the ones I just completed for AD1862s, if there's enough interest.

Minimum purchase on the AD1865N is 12, AD1865N-J is 10. If you're interested in a GB post a reply? If you have a strong interest in one version or the other please also say so, and we'll figure out if this is viable or not.

I'm in for one, of either type unless convinced of a sonic benefit for one over the other.