Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Group Buys Members group buys

Distinction-1541 v2 complete PCB interest list
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th January 2018, 06:30 AM   #81
Jjazz is offline Jjazz  Europe
diyAudio Member

Hi

My dac already sounds, and it sounds really good. There are still many details to finish and adjustments, but it is an extraordinary sound. Special. Many thanks to Ryan for his work, patience and help, to IanCanada for its magnificent components and to Abbas for Abbas audio for his wonderful output stage. Thanks to them, a neophyte like me has been able to make one of his dreams.

Click the image to open in full size.

I am very happy.
Old 7th January 2018, 06:43 AM   #82
ryanj is offline ryanj  Australia
EE Hack
diyAudio Member

Congratulations Jorge!

What's the USB to I2S board you have there? What clock are you using?

Please make sure you watch the temperatures of the FETs on the Distinction-1541 when you case it up, looks like you have a PCB directly under the DAC, it may need more ventilation. Just something to be aware of, it may be ok as it is.

Ryan
Old 7th January 2018, 06:51 AM   #83
sthcoaster is offline sthcoaster  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistollero View Post
anyone has a original tda1541a chip to sell??? i need a chip too.
I have a R1 version you are welcome to have until you get something better. My gift to you. PM your address and I will send. Just make small donation to DIY Audio maybe?
Old 7th January 2018, 06:53 AM   #84
sthcoaster is offline sthcoaster  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjazz View Post
I am very happy.
Great stuff. Congratulations. Now wait 3 years before you get it into enclosure
Be proud. You made it. Enjoy the music.
Old 7th January 2018, 10:37 PM   #85
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanj View Post
Congratulations Jorge!

What's the USB to I2S board you have there? What clock are you using?

Please make sure you watch the temperatures of the FETs on the Distinction-1541 when you case it up, looks like you have a PCB directly under the DAC, it may need more ventilation. Just something to be aware of, it may be ok as it is.

Ryan

Hi Ryan!

I do not use USB to i2s as main player (if I will use as secondary player amanero usb / i2s). The reproduction by usb has several and big problems: it is very conditioned by the quality of the usb (computer) player by its power supply, its clocks, the sata cables (yes, the sata cables, it is not a joke), the dissipation, the noise of the dissipation), the length of the signals, and if we talk about software is another story even more complicated (I think I've used all the software that exists). My experience is that a raspberry pi with a good reclocker, galvanic isolation and power supply is much better source for i2s than the best non-dedicated PCs, so I do not use the usb steamer but raspberry pi i2s. I think it's the best solution for a i2s dac if you use a fifo reclocker and galvanic isolation. The key is the short signals, a PC with few processes and low consumption, together with the best operating system to play audio, Linux. Four years ago I made a wonderful PC for audio: linear feed (hdplex), passive refrigeration in box (hdplex) energy saving processor, sata cables by Paul Pang, cpu clock Paul Pang, usb pcb Paul pang. A marvel of more than 3000 euros, plus a dac dual buffalo of another 4000 euros. For 7000 euros you had a world class system capable of competing with the best. My economic situation is not as good as before and I had to sell that system, and make another one cheaper. For 2000 euros, I have streamer and dac and a very good sound, in some things superior to that system.

I have used two Crystek watches CCHD-957-25.

The problem of the heat of the pcb will have it in question, it is only an interim solution.

Best regards.
Old 8th January 2018, 08:28 AM   #86
EE Hack
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjazz View Post
Hi Ryan!

I do not use USB to i2s as main player (if I will use as secondary player amanero usb / i2s). The reproduction by usb has several and big problems: it is very conditioned by the quality of the usb (computer) player by its power supply, its clocks, the sata cables (yes, the sata cables, it is not a joke), the dissipation, the noise of the dissipation), the length of the signals, and if we talk about software is another story even more complicated (I think I've used all the software that exists). My experience is that a raspberry pi with a good reclocker, galvanic isolation and power supply is much better source for i2s than the best non-dedicated PCs, so I do not use the usb steamer but raspberry pi i2s. I think it's the best solution for a i2s dac if you use a fifo reclocker and galvanic isolation. The key is the short signals, a PC with few processes and low consumption, together with the best operating system to play audio, Linux. Four years ago I made a wonderful PC for audio: linear feed (hdplex), passive refrigeration in box (hdplex) energy saving processor, sata cables by Paul Pang, cpu clock Paul Pang, usb pcb Paul pang. A marvel of more than 3000 euros, plus a dac dual buffalo of another 4000 euros. For 7000 euros you had a world class system capable of competing with the best. My economic situation is not as good as before and I had to sell that system, and make another one cheaper. For 2000 euros, I have streamer and dac and a very good sound, in some things superior to that system.

I have used two Crystek watches CCHD-957-25.

The problem of the heat of the pcb will have it in question, it is only an interim solution.

Best regards.
Hi Jorge,

I've not yet tried a Raspberry Pi I2S, but with all the good things being said about it I may have to give it a go.

Have you tried one of the USB regens from Uptone Audio? I'm using this one at the moment:USB REGEN – UpTone Audio
I was very surprised by how much it improved things, particularly with the accuracy of the bass. They also have a better one which apparently improves things further, but its much more expensive. From these observed effects it has on the sound, I think you could say that it does take away some of the negative impacts that a USB source may have on the SQ. Definitely worth looking into if your using a USB source.

It's amazing how much the usb signal is affected by all these things (including the USB cables) despite the use of the FIFO, digital isolators, re-clocking further down the chain- I was under the impression that these things were supposed to make the signal immune from the source, but it doesn't seem to be the case, at least not as much as I thought it would have.

Ryan
Old 8th January 2018, 01:13 PM   #87
diyAudio Member

Hi Ryan.

I have not tried that in particular, but I have tried other products similar and better, and cables under 2000 euros, and Jcat PCI with Femto clock, or the aforementioned Paul Pang Pci Usb. In my experience the best way to suppress the jitter of USB is to use an external reclocker, Mutec, by quality brand Price:

Https://www.mutec-net.com/downloads/...sUSB_-_HFN.pdf.

I have a lot of experience with high level hifi, and I have spent two years experimenting i2s DACs (especially Allo) and with a good power offers a surprising result for its price. I have compared dacs very expensive and famous (eg Chord Hugo and Chord TT) with Allo Kali (reclocker) allo Piano Dac 2.1 for Rapsberry Pi, with linear power and good connectors and the I2S solution is closer to analogue sound than the most expensive solutions , in addition to getting, in that case, a great scene and depth. Chord Solutions only surpass this DAC (Llamemosle "Jazz I " hahahaha) in detail. This has taught me that more important than the DAC is the source (many years ago I think that), that the I2S is better interface than the USB, that the signals the shorter the better for jitter, this is as important as the reclocker.
In addition you will save a lot of money with your source with the Rapsberry Pi solution. If I can help something with Rapsberry here I am.

Best regards
Old 9th January 2018, 09:26 AM   #88
EE Hack
diyAudio Member

Hi Jorge,

You've certainly gone down the rabbit hole a lot deeper than I when it comes to chasing the perfect sound. Thanks for offering to help with a Raspberry Pi setup, I will definitely give this more thought some time soon. The way I'm going it will be another 3 year before I case up my DAC. lol.

Anyway, I'm very grateful that my humble PCB has made a place in your system, I hope it gives you many hours of listening pleasure.

All the best.

Ryan

Last edited by wintermute; 9th January 2018 at 10:30 AM. Reason: typo at ryanj's request.
Old 20th January 2018, 06:04 AM   #89
diyAudio Member

Hi.

Yesterday I tried out my dac/streamer in the great system of a friend (dynaudio confidence c4 and two power amp Restek Extract). My friend Toni is used to hearing vinyl, he has a great tourntable. I wanted to know if my dac sounded in a great system as well as mine and if another pleople with a good ear sounded as good as me or I was influenced by my creation.

It was even more exciting than the first time it rang. We had before us the analog sound of a turntable but with the advantages of a streamer. The sound was very exciting, I had never heard an equal realism and transparency, only live and if the acoustics were good. Although the output soundstage of tubes the dynamics was wonderful. The only point that was not perfect is the subbass, it does not have the punch necessary for electronic music, but it's not my type of music: my dac is designed for jazz music, vocal music and classical music, and here I have not heard anything similar to any price, only turntables of more than $ 20,000.

Yesterday was the happiest day of my 35 years on hifi (I am 50 years old) and I can not believe that I was the one who designed this marvel.

Thank you very much Ryan, thank you very much IanCanada, thank you very much Abbas, thank you very much Volumio team, thank you very much Antonio, Fernando, Toni, Jose Miguel.

Best regards.

Jorge
Old 20th January 2018, 10:06 AM   #90
EE Hack
diyAudio Member

Thanks for sharing your testimony Jorge, im glad you were able to put together a system the gives you the sound you were after, and maybe even exceeding expectations. A big credit to you.

Just goes to show that our diy efforts are all for a good cause -great sound for a great price, all it takes a little bit of extra effort and knowhow but well worth it. Not that the extra effort is at all painstaking, its a very enjoyable and rewarding experience to put together your own system and then hearing the result of your creation.

Well done.

Ryan

Distinction-1541 v2 complete PCB interest listHide this!Advertise here!