• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Folsom DIY7297 Amp & Antipole PSU

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There's a difference between a completed amp and a module, Positron. Just look at the diyaudio store and let me know which Pass amp boards have speaker protection?

Even without speaker protection, I have less comcern over this failing then an LM3886 failing. TDA7297 uses a single voltage rail and won't expose the speaker to DC should the power supply fail. This would not be the case with a bipolar design.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
That is absolutely a good point. The risk is lower. Still I and others have seen too many devices with on chip protection failing because the chip was failing. I see it in my daily job too.

Regardless of brand and type (or hype) I consider external protection a better choice but let’s not exxagerate. The design looks very Nice and I have become curious how it sounds. Does it sound better than LM3875 amps?

That is absolutely a good point. The risk is lower. Still I and others have seen too many devices with on chip protection failing because the chip was failing. I see it in my daily job too.

Regardless of brand and type (or hype) I consider external protection a better choice but let’s not exxagerate. The design looks very Nice and I have become curious how it sounds. Does it sound better than LM3875 amps?

IMO yes, by a lot. I never could get the LM3875 to sound more than decent. It simply didn't have much texture, soundstage so-so, timbre eh, low level volume shifts nope... The 7297 is kinda of like a painter whom won't make the drywallers and framers look any better than they actually are. It's actually a very useful tool since at the very most it may make the higher frequencies slightly softer, and otherwise is always a reflection of everything else. The mod of cutting between binding posts to make a non-conductive path between them where chassis use to be is readily audible, for example.

Joined 2017
Paid Member
Finished my Folsom DIY7297 amp. First try at a PS and no sparks or smoke! Worked great right out of the gate. Using it with a B1 and my newly built Manzanitas. Very nice sound. Thanks to Destroyer OS for the design, pcbs, and support.
Doug

Attachments

• 0406191811.jpg
    0406191811.jpg
    789 KB · Views: 370
  • 0406191810a.jpg
    0406191810a.jpg
    736 KB · Views: 339
  • 0406191803.jpg
    0406191803.jpg
    786.4 KB · Views: 336
Joined 2017
Paid Member
thanks for the nice words on my build. been playing some acoustic stuff that just sounds super clear and detailed, very sweet.
I figured someone would ask about the grounding, well... I used a piece of 1/2" phenolic as a base for the chassis as I didn't have any aluminum I could use so I was trying to tie all the boards and metal bits together. I was less scared of sound quality as I was of wiring up A.C. and wanted everything grounded. was kinda a pain and won't do it again!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.