Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Group Buys Members group buys

xrk971 Pocket Class A Headamp GB
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th July 2017, 08:24 PM   #911
twocents is offline twocents  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYRTT View Post
Few days ago got a pair of OB-1 and so far not so pleased with their sound
Also got my OB-1's a few days ago and also a bit disappointed in the sound initially. They sound very good on my PCA amp, but crappy on my tube amp. The OB-1 definitely has authority in the mid bass and lower - tight, accurate and goes really low and I love them for that. But they lack detail and clarity in the treble region compared to my AKG's. Guess it is like speakers - they all have different personalities.

But I do not regret buying them. Excellent build quality for $55.
Old 9th July 2017, 08:45 PM   #912
BYRTT is offline BYRTT  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Great data there xrk971 to create some realistic EQ upon and make OB-1 response closer to HD-600/650 or your DT880

By the way your pdf link inside an image doesn't work viewed in IE11 or Opara browsers on my Win7 computer.
Old 9th July 2017, 09:11 PM   #913
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocents View Post
Also got my OB-1's a few days ago and also a bit disappointed in the sound initially. They sound very good on my PCA amp, but crappy on my tube amp. The OB-1 definitely has authority in the mid bass and lower - tight, accurate and goes really low and I love them for that. But they lack detail and clarity in the treble region compared to my AKG's. Guess it is like speakers - they all have different personalities.

But I do not regret buying them. Excellent build quality for $55.
Agree last line and will keep them for later tweaks.

Atmosphere generator at very lows is there and actual very smooth from the data but up here they can't create a real realistic kick drum slam that will need low end to function right with higher harmonics and probably needs both amplitude slope and timing being right as a rhythms thing, with realistic i mean get into recording room and for close mic one get to sense being close to thumbs created from strings kick pedals or sticks, my speaker has this right rhythms thing because nowadays its possible to measure and correct with DSP but after xrk971 shared curves from that site now also have some data to base realistic correction for OB-1

Last edited by BYRTT; 9th July 2017 at 09:13 PM.
Old 9th July 2017, 09:35 PM   #914
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Quote:
By the way your pdf link inside an image doesn't work viewed in IE11 or Opara browsers on my Win7 computer.
It doesn't work on Chrome either in Win7. Only works on my iPhone.

So Byrtt, you are going to do an FIR convolution to map the OB-1 response to a DT880? You can do that? I never thought about doing it for a headphone. I suppose if you made your own binaural-mic'd head mannequin you could fix any headphone. What I don't understand is why all headphones have the falloff above 10k? It must be the acoustics of the narrow human ear canal? Acts as a TL with resonances and dips and peaks? I don't think you want the response of the in-ear mic to be flat, it needs to follow the natural curve of the ear canal?
Old 9th July 2017, 10:21 PM   #915
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
...So Byrtt, you are going to do an FIR convolution to map the OB-1 response to a DT880? You can do that? I never thought about doing it for a headphone. I suppose if you made your own binaural-mic'd head mannequin you could fix any headphone. What I don't understand is why all headphones have the falloff above 10k? It must be the acoustics of the narrow human ear canal? Acts as a TL with resonances and dips and peaks? I don't think you want the response of the in-ear mic to be flat, it needs to follow the natural curve of the ear canal?
Year it should be possible but because there is real resonances taking place inside acoustics we probably can't do all we wan't with pure electric EQ without some other zing penalty here and there but have hope to get better tonality compromise for OB-1, for example the dip at 6kHz is 20dB down relative to 1khz and if that is filled up too heavy think will not get real natural and probably invite other problems. Maybe someone have smarter ways to do it but as a first try i would trace curves from those nice quality pdf files and say as example we want OB-1 to perform as HD 650 i put those two curves at "All SPL" tab in REW and do the math to get the difference, then over in Rephase its possible to EQ that difference flat and if needed also inverted, then it can be saved as wav file to use in convolution engine or one can copy settings for all the filters to ones digital player that could be JRiver, not shure we need any FIR engine here because we know nothing about phase and also most devices direct sound is IIR (minimum phase) so most players will do in they often have IIR correction build in. Have a lot of other stuff to do but will get back within a week about result and share correction filters if anybody interested.

Agree and also don't understand the fall off above 10kHz but in a study into this field probably will take quite some time to be good at and understand right prefer to start get OB-1 response bit closer to the famous ones in steps instead of doing some misunderstand overmuch correction.
Old 10th July 2017, 07:00 AM   #916
diyAudio Member

EQ filters for Status OB-1 head phones owners that will transfer average of OB-1 grey response curves at innerfidelity website to so called Harman target response curve also found over there.

Prepare setting these filters result in shocking fantastic sound performance and great thanks xrk971 pointing to that website and to the website for sharing those curves making this correction possible.

Black is Harman target response curve, brown is average of OB-1 raw curves measured over there, orange is correction curve when setting below filters, and green is brown times orange showing fair close coherence to black.
xrk971 Pocket Class A Headamp GB-2000-png

HS
-----------------
frq: Q: dB:
-----------------
19900 5 +2,37
17000 2 -3,11

LS
-----------------
-----------------
10 0,5 +12,00
20 0,5 +7,78
40 0,5 +4,03
80 0,5 +3,18
273 1 -2,07
1450 1 -5,93

PEQ
-----------------
-----------------
2144 2 +1,48
3266 2 -1,93
4726 4 +4,00
9900 6 -10,37
8300 6 +6,81
5031 7 -0,74
5479 3 +4,74
3743 3 -1,78
4594 4 +1,63
5356 4 -1,63
6104 5 +1,63
8112 5 -1,19
9842 5 -1,33
11507 11 +1,48
14082 6 +2,07
18292 8 +1,19
15330 7 +1,63
Attached Images
File Type: png 2000.PNG (66.7 KB, 1085 views)
Old 10th July 2017, 10:20 AM   #917
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Nice!!!
Byrtt, thank you for introducing us to convolution methods as applied to headphones. Are you saying it sounds like listening to something like the Two Towers, almost?

Since I have a soundcard now, albeit only as Focusrite 2i4 USB. I suppose I could do this if shown how.

Or are these simply IIR filters? Simply use something like Jriver?

Very cool!

Last edited by xrk971; 10th July 2017 at 10:35 AM.
Old 10th July 2017, 11:52 AM   #918
diyAudio Member

Yes it sounds fantastic and pretty shure you will agree, i'm on the second pair of nine volters since that EQ was setup into player in can't stop listening, and yes when batteries are fresh on voltage level its as good as sweet spot in front of Two Towers, try yourself live track "Hotel California" from album "Hell Freezes Over" and dream back sitting in Ronalds couch. Have idea and experience from HD 280 Pro than when changing multi core Litz cable to unpractical solid core it would be even better natural sounding killing the sometimes little hard edges on harmonics making lows more realistic which often is a little syntetic in head phones compared to good tweaked speakers, of course there is no guarantee cable mod will work but will try it later when have a plan how to dismantle and check so its possible to restore with original cable again if needed.

Technically because its pure IIR correction didn't create it as one filter inside wav file to be loaded into players convolution engine because then it gets more complicated to set up in needs of wav file at all possible sample rates and a config file that points to those wav files, for some its a piece of cake to setup but think every one can find out to copy number from those 25 filters above plus probably also good idea when at it also set a filter than reverse polarity output to correct inverting source follower SE topology. In Jriver its pratical have all these filters set in one container then its easy tick on that container and player is armed with correction listening OB-1 via PCA, later untick container and player is ready sending un EQed clean signal to speaker system or other device.

Hope post help to set it up in picture below you see JRiver DSP and over at right is all necessary filters ticked on so they form orange specific correction curve to OB-1 so as Harman target response curve is formed, at left see its one un tick point and all correction inside that PEQ container is disabled, by the way in visual i'm listening 13dB DR Fleetwood Mac track "Never going back" but sadly can hear second set batteries are running cold now so need to go out shopping more elements. It was great you pointed to that site because without those curves didn't know what important to correct for and how a target response for ear canal looks, try it out and if successful request DT880 correction too or a detailed step by step guide.
Attached Images
File Type: png 2000.PNG (79.0 KB, 220 views)
Old 10th July 2017, 01:18 PM   #919
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Byrtt,
Thank you so much for making this Easy.
I am going to buy a copy of Jriver (finally). Can't wait to hear this in balanced drive mode on OB-1's. If you say it's like sitting at sweet spot on couch in Assen listening to the Two Towers - this is indeed special treat awaiting for me.
You need rechargeable Li-ions, here is what I use:

https://www.amazon.com/EBL-Self-Disc.../dp/B00EQ3U2AA

You can charge a set while listening to other set. Also, if you plan on using mostly for desktop use, I can show you how to make a desktop PSU so that regular 5.5mm 12v SMPS can power amp. I use DC step up to 18v (1.2MHz switcher) and CRCRC filter.

Click the image to open in full size.

I thought Litz wire is the best? That's what is in the current OB-1's and my DT880's. Although I see a lot of boutique headphone audio stores selling outrageously priced hand made cables using some sort of hand-twisted pair clear (pink looking copper) 3.5mm to 3.5mm (3inch long) cables for the cost of my amp! What is the world coming to?

$265:

https://www.aloaudio.com/shop/reference-8-mini-to-mini/

Last edited by xrk971; 10th July 2017 at 01:29 PM.
Old 10th July 2017, 01:32 PM   #920
twocents is offline twocents  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Default DSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
Byrtt,
Thank you so much for making this Easy.
I am going to buy a copy of Jriver (finally). Can't wait to hear this in balanced drive mode on OB-1's. If you say it's like sitting at sweet spot on couch in Assen listening to the Two Towers - this is indeed special treat awaiting for me.
Yes, this is very exciting and all new to me. Still not sure how to implement this, but quess I will have to start with installing JRiver. I am currently using MusicBee, which can import WinAmp DSP plugins - which might or might not work according to Wiki. Goodbye MusicBee.

xrk971 Pocket Class A Headamp GBHide this!Advertise here!