• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

DAC ES9038 PRO Group Buys

Hi maessen!

you can see in some link

you as: ***Anybody here has any listening done with this DAC? ***

Please see Algar_emi finis DAC. thank

""" Finally the DAC is signing Here the pictures. I had to make a lot of mods on the inside to install the needed power transformers 115/230V compatible, and have provision for this primary voltage selection. I had one transformer for B+/FIL (T1), one for B- (T2), one for the DAC (T3) and finally one for the High current discrete 5V supply for the Raspberry Pi3 (T4). The Raspberry trasnfo PCB has the necessary AC primary voltage distribution and 115/230V selection switch for T1 & T2. I used a nice pcb from HQ Audio for the Rasberry 5V regulator. It uses the LT3042 High current low noise smd IC, with an D45H11 current booster. Worked like a charm

I had also to replace the front controller 230V transformer by an other one with 115/230V primary. Simple junction points allow voltage selection for this one.

I installed a shield over the DAC PCB, and the I/V current outputs go through feedthrough. An extra shield separates the DAC from the AC transformers. Don't know if it was necessary but it was easier to plan them right from the start, then to add them later. I also installed an AC Inlet module with EMI filter/switch and built-in fuse to replace the standard inlet.

The DAC is completely silent, except for a small hiss at max volume, typical tube thermal hiss probably. But it is very low and not in the way of the music.

Listening to it using the Amanero USB interface (modified to use the DAC digital supply, not the USB +5V) and JRiver. Sound is incredible with DSD output, and very nice choice of digital filter by the way, still haven't had the time to compare all of them.

Pure I/V PCB has MK132 27R current conversion resistor, Kiwame cathode resistors, Active CCS option on the output tube cathode, large MKP Wima local B+/B- filter caps (an addition I did) and Mundorf MCap EVO output coupling caps. Also the output section is already modified to accept an optional balanced output, using Lundhall Transformers.

Next thing I may try are active CCS on the tube anode, to replace the passive 33K resistors. But so far it is a great DAC

And naturally I still have to configure/try the built-in Moode Raspberry music server..."""

Thanks Algar_emi !
646525d1511036768-dac-es9038-pro-gr-2-a-img_1857-jpg

646526d1511036768-dac-es9038-pro-gr-2-a-img_1858-jpg

646527d1511036768-dac-es9038-pro-gr-2-a-img_1859-jpg

646528d1511036768-dac-es9038-pro-gr-2-a-img_1860-jpg

646528d1511036768-dac-es9038-pro-gr-2-a-img_1860-jpg

646529d1511036768-dac-es9038-pro-gr-2-a-img_1861-jpg

And lindamar post 302

"""Hi Quanghao,

this is to report that we have successfully (well, my friend smanz indeed ) tested your dac with a pair of your lundahl boards and their corresponding trafos.

The test was made comparing that setup against a buffalo DAC with a super modded IVY output stage (best quality in capacitors and resistors that you can imagine). No blind test, just a simple listening session over a couple of songs that we know well.

The result was, and we both agree on that front, that your DAC is much better in every single corner. Better timbre, better sound stage, very well articulated and capable of showing all nuances with a big orchesta, and in summary... a better DAC. I find it very musical and dynamic.

We (my friend and I) disagreed nevertheless on how voices are presented. In my opinion, the ES9038 is darker .... maybe the trafos ? maybe the filter we used (brickwall) ?. Now we have a battery for the remote, we will make the test again (perhaps with an apodizing filter?) but for this occasion we´ll use a bigger contender: quadruple Buffalo ES9018 DAC with tubes output stage.

I will get back here with our conclusions. In any case, thank you and congratulations for the DAC. It is a great product, no question about it.

Cheers
Pepe """

And akltam post 208

((I have now run the DAC for about 4 hours. As everything including the output transformer LL1690 is new, I expect at least 100 hours of run-in time. My initial impression is that this DAC has more control authority compare to the previous ES9018 DAC using the LL1684 (also in voltage output mode). So far everything sounds OK.

Looking forward to hear from you how this DAC compare to the previous ES9018 DAC. )) and post 221

Thanks you all very much!

quanghao

Happy New Year DIYers!
Just received my DAC!!!
It's build like a tank and weight a tone!
Unfortunate I can't test it - my Synergy are still in a processes.
Two things; quanghao you have to pay attention - you forgot to place apartment number on shipment. And second - you have to send the buyer a trucking number as soon as you make a shipment.

Thank you quanghao!

Attachments

• DAC.jpg
    DAC.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 149
Happy New Year DIYers!
Just received my DAC!!!
It's build like a tank and weight a tone!
Unfortunate I can't test it - my Synergy are still in a processes.
Two things; quanghao you have to pay attention - you forgot to place apartment number on shipment. And second - you have to send the buyer a trucking number as soon as you make a shipment.

Thank you quanghao!

Hi!
I love your advice
Thanks !
Quanghao

Hi maessen!

you can see in some link

you as: ***Anybody here has any listening done with this DAC? ***

Please see Algar_emi finis DAC. thank

"""

I had also to replace the front controller 230V transformer by an other one with 115/230V primary. Simple junction points allow voltage selection for this one.

Today I started reading all the post about this Dac again and notice this statement from Algar_Finis, ooh man this is unbelievable for this kind of money paid for this dac, we in USA have to modifies this board, definitely this group buy was not meant for USA and then notice too that the boards does not fit properly on the chassis , waoo this is unbelievable, right now trying to maintain mine composure , very disappointing.

I started soldering caps on the PI3 power supply pcb then I saw two caps have a line on top meaning they are bipolar.

Then I checked on C5 spot of PI3 power supply it is marked with a line on the + side and this side is in line with the negative side or ground of C6 but if you look at the schematic + side of C6 and C5 is in line with pin #2 od D45H11, C4 and pin #10 of LT3042.

In the picture I marked you can see that C1 and C5 have a line and + , is this a mistake and they are really the negative side of those capacitors.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• PI3 Power Supply-01148_LI.jpg
    PI3 Power Supply-01148_LI.jpg
    623 KB · Views: 164
  • Schema Filament-Supply+Pi3.jpg
    Schema Filament-Supply+Pi3.jpg
    312.1 KB · Views: 158