• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Bruno Putzeys Balanced Preamp - Group Buy Part 3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks! I will try to post some decent pictures in the swap meet as soon as possible, I am at work for the next 36 hours so it will probably be on Monday. Indeed if someone is interested and needs what it is the price is always better than the original offer :)

The sad fact that DIYers never have good enclosures to work with has always been a great problem for me, after the tukan guys stopped selling those magnificent half size cases I bought several of these Cyrus enclsoures which are simply a marvel to work with as they have been designed as one size fits all for the various devices Cyrus makes - you have a plethora of mounting holes inside, some of them have usable transformers as well, even small heat sinks at the back for low power amps or high power DACs ;), Cyrus supposedly used a special allow and you can change the front plate without much effort. It looks especially elegant in silver, sometimes you can buy a faulty one at a great price(no longer since I mentioned it here :) ).

I was lucky that the Maya display fit perfect with the front window so it really looks like a Cyrus preamp with tuner markings and a few extra buttons :)

Attachments

• Case 1.jpg
    Case 1.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 611
I was kind of teasing with my post, sorry.

What era Cyrus is it? Early one, from the 80s? I have a non-working Cyrus tuner (the kind with the large front display) .. maybe it is of more use as a case (and selling the working parts e.g. transformer).

Like this one:

67344-mission_cyrus_tuner_w_remote.jpg

I always appreciated how Meridian managed to turn regular, industrial extruded aluminium conduit(?) or something into some great industrial design for the time (with the 200 and 600 series).

Last edited:
No offence taken :) It was one of the latest FM devices they made, they can be bought cheap or a faulty one. Breaks my heart to kill a working device but do it for science...

This is severely off topic but I just never had the time to share my experience with the BPBP which of course sounds very good and the Maya that is probably one of the most complete and thoroughly engineered DIY kits ever. The combination just killed a Parasound preamp from the highest range...

There have always been great projects here and it would be great if we could put these in a nice enclosure, something that would complement the extreme level of engineering on some of the finished projects. We joke that most of the high end stuff is just pretty faces and much less substance but too many good devices never get finished because of mechanical problems.

I tried boxes from Corian which are easy to make when you have an experienced helper, that was a good option as well, my Paradise phono is in one of them but I wish we could make a GB for something like the Cyrus case...

A few pictures as promised :) The boards are actually suspended and the enclosure opens at the bottom, Cyrus says it is good for the sound.

Attachments

• BPBP front.jpg
    BPBP front.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 580
  • BPBP back.jpg
    BPBP back.jpg
    843.4 KB · Views: 570
  • BPBP inside back.jpg
    BPBP inside back.jpg
    522.9 KB · Views: 550
  • BPBP inside.jpg
    BPBP inside.jpg
    546.3 KB · Views: 369
Nice implementation, Nicola !
Good luck with the sale !

Regards,
Tibi

hi Tibi,
I am the lucky 'winner' - it is truly awesome. Have asked question on the 'Remote for BPBP thread' - Remote Control for the BPBP - Page 30 - diyAudio - as FW loaded is 1.2 would like to know where to download it from (1.4 or 1.3), as well as how to activate bluetooth (am in iPhone 8 and Nikola was using Android - maybe FW needs upgrade or i something else).

thank you Nikola - truly fantastic craftmanship and am enjoying it a lot !

Last edited:
Hi,

I have responded to you on other thread and pm as well.
A new firmware will be published when is ready. For now 1.2 is stable.
Maya for Android and Maya for IOS have different firmware and bluetooth modules.
iPhone make use of BLE technology. In order to have your Maya work with iPhone, you need another bluetooth module and to upload another firmware.

Regards,
Tibi

Hi,

I have responded to you on other thread and pm as well.
A new firmware will be published when is ready. For now 1.2 is stable.
Maya for Android and Maya for IOS have different firmware and bluetooth modules.
iPhone make use of BLE technology. In order to have your Maya work with iPhone, you need another bluetooth module and to upload another firmware.

Regards,
Tibi
Thank you Tibi,
so to get my Maya for BPBP (VolCB) with OLED display with firmware 1.2 to work with iPhone - could you advise
1. which bluetooth module to purchase to replace the other one that works only with Android phones ? Could i buy that from you/Vicol ?
2. Do i need to load different firmware after that to enable BLE Bluetooth module ? if yes - where could i download it ?

Thank you !

Hi Guys,

A quick one here. I recall that initial board was XLR mounted and did not have mounting holes per se.

I have just finished one with the basic design without holes it sounds great though.

It is time to tun 6ch build managed by Maya and Voicb now. The boards are from last GB, would they have dedicated mounting holes ?

Thank you Tibi,
so to get my Maya for BPBP (VolCB) with OLED display with firmware 1.2 to work with iPhone - could you advise
1. which bluetooth module to purchase to replace the other one that works only with Android phones ? Could i buy that from you/Vicol ?
2. Do i need to load different firmware after that to enable BLE Bluetooth module ? if yes - where could i download it ?

Thank you !

1. You need a BLE module and I can offer one to you.
2. Yes, you need to upload different firmware to Maya as well.

Please contact me via email.

Brgds,
Tibi

Last edited by a moderator:
two boards for sale

Okay, I hope this is okay to post this here. If not please remove it (and PM me) and I will list this is the classifieds.

I have two boards for sale. I ordered them from OSHpark based on the original Gerber files posted on Linear Audio. With OSHpark minimum order is 3, so I have two up for grabs if anyone is interested.

Things to know about these particular boards:

1. They are complete, the silkscreen and drilling is correct, and built up perfectly. They sound very nice.

2. They are purple. That is the color that vendor does. It is a trade mark they seem proud of.

3. The boards are not thick, like the usual audiophile DIY offering. This caused absolutely no problems in building it up, and if anything it will make changing the through-hole components easier.

4. They do have 2 oz. copper traces.

5. Since these were based on the original Gerbers, the larger SILMIC electrolytics from the most recent BOM will not fit. Pay close attention to pitch and width when ordering parts. I ended up using Panasonic FR for the 1000uf power supply caps, which have a 5mm lead pitch and 10mm width; and Nichicon FG for the 22uf which are 5mm wide with a 2.5 mm lead pitch.
This combo sounds very nice.

6. all other parts fit perfectly.

The small run means that they are a bit more expensive than the GB boards. If anyone is interested, I would like to get $17 each (1/3 of the total price) and I will even ship free in the US.

PM me if you are interested.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.