• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

The Well Tempered Master Clock - Group buy

The new Driscoll board will be single oscillator with sine wave output suitable to drive 50 ohm coaxial cable.
There will be a specific oven if needed, I will measure the phase noise with and without the oven to understand if it affects the performance of the oscillator.

There will be a dedicated squarer board suitable for Ian's stuff, picture attached (Dual XO, MC Dual XO and FifoPi).

All SC-Cut crystals from 5MHz up to 24 MHz will work with the new Driscoll board, so one can easily remove the crystal from the old board to use it with the new oscillator.

Now it's time for vacation, I will be away about 3 weeks, then I will resume the development of the new boards.

Nice!
Is it possible to include ufl comnectors instead of only sma? The ufl is the standard on the ian boards so it will integrate nicely.

Will you also design a new connector board for the new fifopi?

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
@clsidxxl, thank you for the pictures... nice job. I planned more or less the same strategy, in my case just one sc cut and the second a simple crysteq cause i only need the sc cut for my 16/44 discs ...99% of my collection.
@ Andrea, is there very short sma wires like uf-l ones ? 2" or less? Or is there male to male sma connector without wire for a direct stack, i.e. the new adaptator on the iancanada board and the new discroll pluged on it without cable with such sma connector (if exists)?

@clsidxxl, thank you for the pictures... nice job. I planned more or less the same strategy, in my case just one sc cut and the second a simple crysteq cause i only need the sc cut for my 16/44 discs ...99% of my collection.
@ Andrea, is there very short sma wires like uf-l ones ? 2" or less? Or is there male to male sma connector without wire for a direct stack, i.e. the new adaptator on the iancanada board and the new discroll pluged on it without cable with such sma connector (if exists)?

Since the new Driscoll oscillator will be able to drive 50 ohm load there is no problem using longer coaxial cable. I suggest to keep the oscillator board far from the squarer.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Thank you Andrea,
I need to understand the difference of square vs sine in that context.:cool: some futur food to read in the next days.
Sorry for my unknowledgment, does it also mean no extra jitter added between the Iancanada clock boards with such sine wave outputt oscillator (when clock board is far from the dac board, not so the Fifopi but the dual or mc clock boards which also have uf-l output to wire a farer dac board with the same 50 ohms impedance) ?

It’s sine wave output oscillator designed to drive 50 ohm load, so there is no issue driving 1 meter or so coaxial cable. There are problems with square wave due to its huge harmonic contents.

So what you are saying is: square wave needs short connections and sine wave not.
With the reason that sine wave transport over longer cable lengths will not be prone to jitter.

That is the reason to put the squarer from the clock board onto the fifopi.

Why put the clock board at a distance? Will the clock board transmit rfi that disturbs the fifopi board?

Ideas for master clock chassis

Given that the clock does not need to be close, some thoughts spring up for a separate clock chassis.

I can imagine putting the clock in its own metal box completely surrounded by sand or some other vibration dampening material. I don't know how microphonic the laptech crystals are, but the NDK crystals they replace are quite sensitive to vibration. This could solve vibration and radiation issues.

Why put the clock board at a distance? Will the clock board transmit rfi that disturbs the fifopi board?

Andrea i wanted to ask the same question,so currently the clock emits harmful radiation to all components around

Yes the advantage of being deported the clock is great to treat insulation and for feed.

wlowes the laptech crystals are very microphonic,a user has experienced somewhere in this thread.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Andrea i wanted to ask the same question,so currently the clock emits harmful radiation to all components around

Yes the advantage of being deported the clock is great to treat insulation and for feed.

wlowes the laptech crystals are very microphonic,a user has experienced somewhere in this thread.

Odd, cause HanseKroyne member gave a nice picture about inside the cchd95, same cryxtal case than the littliest sc cut but the crysteq has in plus its external casing. So it should be less microphonics thzn the ndk or a sc cut without surounding... guess, copper oven is the best insulation scenario....

Given that the clock does not need to be close, some thoughts spring up for a separate clock chassis.

I can imagine putting the clock in its own metal box completely surrounded by sand or some other vibration dampening material. I don't know how microphonic the laptech crystals are, but the NDK crystals they replace are quite sensitive to vibration. This could solve vibration and radiation issues.

Exactly, separate box for each oscillator is the best option. Sorry for my short answer, I’m away.

high hFE

I am looking at the BOM for the TWTMC-D board. There are options for parts based on whether one needs high hFE or not.
1. Can someone explain what determines if you need the high hfe parts or the standard?
2. Is there any performance advantage using the potato semi PO74GU04A?