• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

GB For Salas I-Select Mesmerize Type input selector and volume control

This looks like a really neat setup for input switching. I signed up for one+kit.

If using this instead of a mechanical switch as a preamp input selector, is the preferred arrangement to keep the board close to the input jacks and run the switch and its wires to the front? I guess that since the switch circuit does not carry audio signal it shouldnt matter if the wires are a bit longer, right?

What is the preferred arrangement in terms of power, separate transformer or DC from preamp PSU? How much higher than, say, 15V is acceptable for the reg if i supply DC?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
You are right regarding the preferred physical arrangement.

About the power arrangement spec its little construction guide pdf says "Input voltage: 12-22V AC IN or 15-30V DC IN raw / regulated"

Its just pulling few mA for a relay and if you don't want to power some other peripheral from the selector's own 12V fixed output line then it does not even need a sink on its local regulator chip. So if you got a compatible DC source in the build, steal from it by all means. If not available, just use a very small dedicated 12 VAC transformer. Those ways are making no difference to the selector itself. Unless you got reasons to believe that branching off DC from your main application can bring some environmental interference back to it.

The selector itself just pulls steady DC for a coil, no load fluctuations or noises of its own to send back nonetheless.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
There is no issue with trying things that don't affect the audio signal.

7805 and 5V relays, yes why not, its only that such relays use more current so if its also the case that the available DC input is high watch the drop across the 5V regulator and its dissipation to make sure if it still doesn't need a sink or not.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
GB ends 12/3/2017 for Salas Boards

The current GB for all Salas boards end of 12/3/2017.
I will be sending out private messages to all those on the spreadsheet with payment instructions, so I can send you an invoice.
If you are not on the spreadsheet, please sign up then send me a private message.
After the Group buy closes and boards are ordered, it should be between 4-6 weeks typically for me to get the boards and kits ready, and then to ship them out across the world.
Let me know if there are any questions.

Tea