• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

"The Wiener" TPA3118 amplifier, group buy #3 + "Wiener Pro" prototypes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If buy 10+Fully assembly board, will there a discount and how is the shipment arrangements to send 10+board to one place?
Possibly a small discount. I'm not making much money on these cards, I made about $15/card CAD on the last group buy, which I think is fair for a hand assembled card. Plus I lost about a third of that between dead cards and supplies.

For 10 boards, it'll put them in a proper box and send them via a better shipping method with package tracking. I'll have to weigh cards, find a box and make an estimate.

Possibly a small discount. I'm not making much money on these cards, I made about $15/card CAD on the last group buy, which I think is fair for a hand assembled card. Plus I lost about a third of that between dead cards and supplies.

For 10 boards, it'll put them in a proper box and send them via a better shipping method with package tracking. I'll have to weigh cards, find a box and make an estimate.

I can very likely push it above 10 if there is a small discount.

BTW, can the cap pads next to opamp accommodate smd 1205 size. I want to use COG type caps.

Also, is the input opa2134 really necessary or is one opa1632 is enough, not sure what the input impedance for opa1632 in single end input is.

Right now those pads are 0805. You can get 47nF/25V in that size, a 1206 footprint would allow 100nF. Or you can stack two 0805's for the same effect :)

If the OPA2134 is left out and the 1632 is driven directly by the source, the card has to be driven with equal/balanced load impedances or the common mode rejection will suffer.

The 2134 performs voltage buffering, as well as gain. The input circuit is an instrumentation amp, but with a fully differential second stage.

Based on the assumption I sell 10 Pro's, I'll make a proper BOM and see where I can set the cost.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

hepmusic 1 stereo 3118 8 ohm fully assembled

Hope this doesnt change things too much but the cc inductors on the PBTL are too tempting to pass up so....

loafimus: 4 x bare PBTL PCB + 4 x microcontroller
ChuckT: fully assembled stereo Wiener + fully assembled Pro
DawgNo1: 2x PBTL 3118 fully built.
jonners: 1x stereo fully assembled Pro
Pyjamas Before Chris: 1x stereo fully assembled Pro
wushuliu: 1 Pair Assembled PBTL MINUS CONNECTORS - 4 ohm

gmarsh, you are like a crack dealer, and now I need another fix.

rhing: 1 Weiner 3 Pro, fully assembled

I haven't had a chance to try out my Weiner 2 PBTL amps yet. I moved across the country from the San Francisco Bay Area to the South Carolina at the beginning of the year, and we finally moved into our new home. I just hooked up my Weiner stereo amp, and it sounds fantastic. Surprisingly, it holds up well to my latest toy, a near-mint condition McIntosh MC240 6L6 push-pull amplifier that is in original stock form. The Weiner amp can produce a large and deep, room-filling soundstage just like the Mac and trumps it in terms of bass response. Where the Mac amp surpasses it is in the mids and highs. Once I get my garage lab set up again, I'll be able to work on the Mac's power supply (my guess is that those 60 year old electrolytic can caps and Sprague Bumble Bees are like ticking time bombs waiting to fail). I suspect then that the Mac will rule.

image.jpg

Anyway, I plan to implement my Weiner 2 PBTL dual mono amp using Cinemag input transformers as I did with my Weiner stereo amp and replace the metallized film caps with some film and oil input caps. I think those Coilcraft inductors will also give the PBTL amps the edge in performance.

gmarsh, you are like a crack dealer, and now I need another fix.

I haven't had a chance to try out my Weiner 2 PBTL amps yet. I moved across the country from the San Francisco Bay Area to the South Carolina at the beginning of the year, and we finally moved into our new home.

Hey rhing! Big moves for the both of us. From Los Angeles to Minneapolis for me. Had no audio setup for over a year. Only just dipping my toes in again.

I listened to the Wiener I got last year for the first time this week and I'm *really* impressed. I'm going to compare to the fully modded YJ I'd been using once I get snubber caps added. I want to get the PBTL so I can minimize speaker wire length and use the 1SPW instead of BD. I tried the 1spw/1mhz with the stereo and despite the longer speaker wire I did notice a natural presentation, so now I'm too curious.

And thanks to gmarsh for these awesome boards!

Hey wushuliu,

I love the Twin Cities area, the home of Audio Research. Great place to be, but it does get cold in the Winter. For me, I will have to contend with the heat and humidity of South Carolina. We love it here--the people are very friendly and we love the space. It's nice not having to sit in traffic and breath smog everyday. There are some great things about California that I will always miss, but I can always go back to visit.

In our new home, my wife gave me full use of the media room on the second floor, so I've started to set up my new "man cave." Most people use this room for home theater, but I'm more into music than movies. We have a family room downstairs where we can watch movies and sports. I have to install some acoustic panels and additional lighting, but the larger space really allows me more freedom to optimally position my speakers and sofa for the best results.

Last night, my wife and I went to see the South Carolina Philharmonic Orchestra perform "Night on Bald Mountain" and "The Rite of Spring." We had great seats, and the Koger Center for the Arts has great acoustics on the floor-level gallery. I listened to Leonard Bernstein and the NYPO's recording of the same piece this morning, and the Weiner stereo amp, which is less than a quarter the size of the McIntosh amp did a fantastic job reproducing tympani strikes while resolving strings and brass at the same time. I'm sure my tube preamp has as much to do with this, but it's impressive nonetheless.

But back on topic, I will need to either build or purchase a power supply for the Weiner 3 Pro amp. I don't need to go with the full 38 VDC power, but maybe a 24V supply would be nice to power all my Weiner Class D amps. Apparently, some people have had great results with Ti Kan's AMB Labs linear power supplies, but I need to investigate if any of them are capable of outputting 22-24 VDC.

williamau: 1 Pair Assembled PBTL - 8 ohm

rhing, the AMB S11 can do up to 36V. The latest v2 even has lower noise at high output current. My hears have a strong preference for linear regulated supplies with Class D and I have an integrated S11 powering my Wiener PBTL (+ Cinemag input transformers following your lead).

The σ11 regulated power supply

BK

Thanks BK for the information on the AMB Labs Sigma 11 PSU. I've had the opportunity to meet Ti Kan and audition his amps and headphone amps--really great stuff. His PCBs and parts recommendations are quality.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.