• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

"The Wiener" TPA3118 amplifier, group buy #3 + "Wiener Pro" prototypes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Anyway, getting the order/interest list going. Quote the most recent post and add your name to it if you want something.

loafimus: 4 x bare PBTL PCB + 4 x microcontroller
ChuckT: fully assembled stereo Wiener + fully assembled Pro
DawgNo1: 2x stereo 3118 fully built.
jonners: 1x stereo fully assembled Pro

Anyway, getting the order/interest list going. Quote the most recent post and add your name to it if you want something.

Pyjamas Before Chris: 1x stereo fully assembled Pro

Hi, I am arranging a group buy in my area and I have 12 assembled tpa3118 and 3 Pro assembled so far. I will confirm the details later.
If we don't order the filter kit, we can specify the load impedance put on the board, is that correct?
Nice... that's a big order. Mind the comment in the first post though, the Wiener Pro is an experimental prototype and there's a chance the first crack at the hardware won't work :) I guarantee you'll get a working board if you pay for one, but there might be delays.

Generally I install the provided load impedance (4/6/8/whatever) on a fully built board when I build and test it. And if you order a filter kit, I include the other inductors/capacitors that are needed need to change it to any of the other load impedances.

In theory I could test the card, desolder the output filter and let the end user stuff in the parts that they choose...

Hi,
May i know what is the output power into 8 ohm for both the pbtl and stereo amp?
Also can it be powered by the $20+ abletec smps ?

Thanks.
Output power depends on the power supply voltage.

12V supply: 30W peak/15W RMS sine into a 4 ohm load. 15W/7.5W into 8 ohms.
24V supply: 120W peak/60W RMS into 4 ohms, 60W/30W into 8 ohms.

Got a link to the Abletec supply?

Abletec Smps

Guess it won't as the smps has 53v, need a step down to get 24v. 60w with 24v psu is good enough though.

Thanks for the info.

Hi Garry,

I would be interested in your recommended PSU pairing if you have one. Does the PSU quality impact performance much?

Joined 2008
Paid Member

wushuliu: 1 Pair Assembled PBTL MINUS CONNECTORS - 4 ohm

wushuliu: 1 Pair Assembled PBTL MINUS CONNECTORS - 4 ohm
hepmusic 1 stereo 3118 8 ohm fully assembled

Hi Garry,

I would be interested in your recommended PSU pairing if you have one. Does the PSU quality impact performance much?

I use a "TP3005T" linear adjustable supply, branded "tekpower", purchased off amazon for about $90US, set to 19V constant voltage mode. Tried at least 6 diff PSUs, linear and smps, and this offered by far the best sound. I did the testing on my SMSL 3116 amp, but it shoud be just as valid for the wiener, and its playing very well with my new stereo board. the brick that came w/ my asus laptop (19v/6.5a) sounds nice too, but not nearly as good.
Power question: is the ammeter on my PSU a good indication of the power the amp is putting out? Normally its under 100mA@19V, so 1.9W for normal listening volume? Very loud would be maybe 2x that, or maybe 3-4x at the most. I know there is some other stuff at work-- instantaneous power for transients or whatever, but watts in should = watts out right?

Last edited:
Why no Coilcraft love for the Pro? With a name like that...

BK
The 1D17A and VER2923 actually have near identical saturation currents:

http://www.icecomponents.com/images/document/PDF/1D17A.pdf
Typical Current vs Frequency - VER2923 Series Power Inductors

The 1D17A doesn't have the same DC current handling capability as the VER2923, but it's still more than adequate - you'll need to run the WP at 36V rails and output a continuous clipped sine wave into a 4 ohm load to overheat them, chances are you'll trip the thermal protection on the TPA3250 chip first.

The 1D17A also let me shrink the board size a fair bit.

I contemplated changing the PBTL Wiener over to 1D17A's, but decided to leave that "deliciously overkill" design alone :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.